Frame Rust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Frame Rust

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-13-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Frame Rust

I did a TC drop on my Jeep yesterday to fix some minor vibes that popped up from my 2" BDS lift. (Oddly, on lift day they weren't present, but they were when I drove the Jeep a few days later. I'm thinking the extra passenger weight pushed me down enough to prevent them.)

Anyway, when I got the TC skid down, there's some rust between the TC skid and the frame. Rust is very unusual out here, so I'm not quite sure what to do about it. I was thinking of going in and knocking it all off with a scouring pad and then hitting it with some rustoleum or cold galvanizing spray. Is that the right way to go about it?

There's very little surface rust anywhere else... Seeing this, I think I'll leave a couple washers in there even after I get my BL/MML, just to keep water from getting trapped in there and rusting.

Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Chris_Ryan
2002 TJ Wrangler 

you got it... Rustolium also makes a rust "eating" paint that you can spray right over the rust... I live in the REAL Northeast, so I am hoping someone will chime in with what it is called (I need some too)...

EC4WDA Region D Schedule 2008
- Who says there is nowhere to run in New England and New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
Chris_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
Rusty the Scoob

I'd hit it with a wire-wheel (scouring pads are fine too, they just take longer) and then spray or brush some Rustoleum Hammered on the frame. I painted mine a year ago and in most places it's doing pretty well. I painted one of my rusted-to-hell DT3Ks at the same time (with absolutely no prep-work at all) just to see what would happen. Can you tell which one?

2001 TJ Sport 2" coil lift, 31" TrXus, swapped in 3.73s, ORFab cage, Aussie front locker, A to Z Fab rocker skids, JeepMedic Oil Pan Skid, JeepMedic LCA skids, Alloy USA D30 Seals, Warn Diff Skids, Cobra 75wx CB, Jeeperman prototype front bumper, 9.5ti, custom rear bumper, Rokmen frame tie-in kit.
Rusty the Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
lokua
2000 TJ Wrangler 

for thoes in the northeast like me rust is unaviodable and i recomend one of rustoliums special paints for rust they have heavy rust primer and rust reformer, plus just plain rust preventing paint. for light rust i use the plain paint but for heavy stuff the rust reformer and primer is great just make sure u only use it on rust stuff its full of fish oils that soaks into the rust so if there isnt rust to soak it up the oil comes to the surface and it never dries. i did one really big once over on all rust on the jeep 2 years ago and its still holding up great with the occasional touchup.
lokua
lokua is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.