Frame rot, need some opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Frame rot, need some opinions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Frame rot, need some opinions

So I decided to take my skid plate off because I saw a nutsert hanging down a little farther than it should and low and behold, I found some good frame rot. Its a 2001 and has spent its life in the northeast. It has 155,000 miles on it. So what are my options?

I've heard of Safe-T-Caps and that seems like the best bet but opinions would be great.

The rest of the frame is in great shape and there seems to be only minor surface rust around the various holes in the frame.

I don't have a welder. I am mechanically inclined and can tackle a good amount of projects with some good instructions.

Thanks

dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You will want to hire a welder, a competent fabricator can build you a nice patch for the bottom of the rails. I would not tackle this as a first welding project. I can try to contact the welder I used to work with in Swansea, MA if you are interested, he has done a few of these exact repairs for me in the past.
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Autorust is in Cranston. The make the safe t cap. Give them a call. I just did this project last week. Did a safe t cap on the passengers side, cleaned up the frame and painted. Cut all of the rot out and weld on a cap, make sure you get all of the bad metal.
"That's awesome advice. Anytime I have a difficult repair, I fix something else that's much easier to get to. This one time, there was a hole in the oil pan so I replaced the side mirror on the driver's door."
Wanted: Tuffy rear underseat drawer. PM me if you have one.
2003RubiBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
etsubchief
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I bought safe t caps for my sons CJ. He had some rot on the frame by the rear shackle mount. Worked like a champ.
When I originaly brought it to the garage, they told me it would be cheaper to buy the safe t cap, than have them figure out the angles.
Since it appears that your rot is all on straight, I would think it would be fairly easy to fix.
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Before doing anything, get a fiber optic camera, fish it into the frame in various holes, and inspect. Take a small 4oz ball peen hammer and tap the frame everywhere, listening for the clean sound of intact metal or the muffled clunk of rust. If the hammer makes a hole, that spot is already gone. Now make YOUR decision on complete information about YOUR frame condition, not just a hopeful guess. Jeep frames rot from the inside out, and the appearance of the frame exterior is not informative about the true condition.

If YOU decide it is salvageable, fix it. DON'T ask anybody else's online opinion, because those are ALWAYS colored by their own opinions with their own Jeeps, which have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the real condition of YOUR Jeep, about which other people in an Internet Forum know nothing whatsoever.

Make YOUR decision and take responsibility for your choice. Don't ever take any input unless that person is present and evaluating the precise condition of YOUR Jeep.

In truth, the welded-on frame patches are a temporary, rather expensive fix that promotes more rust. They are strongly advocated by repair shops and welders who personally profit from such repairs.

If you decide to part out your Jeep, you might make more money than doing a quick patch-and-sell of the complete vehicle. If you sell the whole vehicle, don't lie about the condition. Treat the respective buyer as you would wish to be treated.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Dace
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen worse.
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well I got an estimate for repairs and I'm really debating whether or not to fix it. On one hand I want to fix it, but the jeep also has 157k miles on it, and who knows what will happen next. On the other hand, I could just sell it/ part it out and get back as much money as I can
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you do the Safe-T-Cap replacement section just be sure to go over their welds and make sure they're sound. Sometimes the welds they do are sub-par.

I used their rear frame sections and THEIR welds failed on 2 separate occasions in 2 different areas.
One of the UCA mounts literally fell off the frame due to bad welds/design.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsean0308 View Post
You will want to hire a welder, a competent fabricator can build you a nice patch for the bottom of the rails. I would not tackle this as a first welding project. I can try to contact the welder I used to work with in Swansea, MA if you are interested, he has done a few of these exact repairs for me in the past.
Do you think you could try to contact the guy in Swansea? I'm trying to get a few different estimates before I bite the bullet. Thanks
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I can I am unfortunately on the west coast and can't call until tomorrow. I'll let you know if I can track him down.
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just an update in case someone stumbles upon this, I ended up taking my jeep to Auto Rust Technicians in Cranston RI. I asked around at a bunch of shops in the area and they all said to go to Cranston. So I dropped it off and two days later I picked it up. It looks awesome. The welded in sections look great. The skid plate bolts right up with no issues. They also painted my entire frame. Yes, it was expensive but now I hope I don't have to worry about my frame for awhile. I highly recommend taking your jeep to Auto Rust Technicians if you have any frame rot, as they did an excellent job.
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #12
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you. I wasn't able to get a hold of my former co worker. Glad it worked out. I know a few guys that used to work at auto rust. They do good work glad you had a good experience. Did they coat the inside of the frame at all? If not look into the Eastwood frame coating to further prolong your frame life.
Unread 12-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
kevin_dubay00
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Exact same frame rot and low and behold I'm in New Bedford go figure...
kevin_dubay00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You'd be suprised at how bad the rust can get.
tacoma.jpg

1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #15
ky-homelite
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, that Yota pic is crazy!
ky-homelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
frame , nutsert , rot , rust , skid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.