Frame basically snapped in half today...I have a lot of questions. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Frame basically snapped in half today...I have a lot of questions.

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #61
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Read up on phosphoric acid (Oshpo and Navel Jelly) then good paint, and others will say Por-15 (I think needs UV protection top coat).
yeah im definitly not skimping on the paint, not quite sure which direction i'm going to go in yet but definitly something pretty tough thats been tried and tested.

jerseyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #62
theGiantPanda
Swap This...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

what would i do..... swap the frame, install a complete new or new to you set of factory control arms and bolts. suspension lift it if youre going too, and definately add the 1" body/motor lifts while your at it.

this way... you know that the suspension, control arms etc are all good and the frame will be solid. any worries about anything related to those key components are 86'd and you can enjoy your jeep with out worring about when something related to rust and lack of maintance [frame/shocks/bolts etc] will cause you problems.

you will also learn the systems that make up your jeep, how they are put together and a basic understanding of what to fix where if you have any problems in the future.

good luck in this project. do it. you will not regret it. keep band aids close. you will bust afew knuckles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hospital? What, are you suffering from Overextended Jeepaphelia or something? :)
I've never been poor, only broke. Poor is a state of mind. Broke is a condition brought on by Jeep ownership and a heavy right foot.

2006 Unlimited Redicon Panda Edition
RRI Long Arm...14" Fox CO's Front and Rear...D60 KP Front and D60 FF Rear... 5.38s spooled...40" Maxxis Trepadors...
6.1 HEMI...Atlas 5.1

5.7 HEMI 400 hp TJ Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ye...17/?highlight=
6.1 HEMI Ultimate LJ Rubicon Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...ayhem-1013800/
2.5 to 4.0L swap and build up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he.../#post14946167
4.0 to 2008 5.3L GM LS in the Taco'd TJ [frame off build].....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-...28/?highlight=
My new DD Build, lift, 4.0 motor swap, done in 6 days?....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/6.../#post15716292

the new shop... http://redrockwiring.com/ conversion, parts and wiring systems
shop email.... info@redrockindustries.net
LIKE US on facebook..... https://www.facebook.com/redrockindustriesinc adding more daily
redrockindustries.net
theGiantPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #63
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGiantPanda View Post
what would i do..... swap the frame, install a complete new or new to you set of factory control arms and bolts. suspension lift it if youre going too, and definately add the 1" body/motor lifts while your at it.

this way... you know that the suspension, control arms etc are all good and the frame will be solid. any worries about anything related to those key components are 86'd and you can enjoy your jeep with out worring about when something related to rust and lack of maintance [frame/shocks/bolts etc] will cause you problems.

you will also learn the systems that make up your jeep, how they are put together and a basic understanding of what to fix where if you have any problems in the future.

good luck in this project. do it. you will not regret it. keep band aids close. you will bust afew knuckles

I put on a 2.5 inch rough country about 6 months ago, so suspension components are pretty solid(maybe not the best quality, but still solid). What would you recommend as far as control arms? for someone on a budget? Would you say just replace them with new factory arms?
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #64
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
I used a 3/8 drill bit. You need 4 inches or more to get up there. There is a hole in the factory bracket you can go straight through.

Everything will collect there unless you clean it out. That circled drain does not happen unless you drill into bottom of frame.
Sorry for jacking the thread a little. Does anyone know if this is exclusivly a TJ problem related to control arms, or does my YJ have it too?

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #65
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep View Post
I'm with TheFog on this. Could you please post a more in-depth "how to" for this with a product link for the scaler?

Also, what if the frame already has mud in it? Will this get it all out?
scaler is at harbor freight . it works off compressed air . it's a bunch of steel rods about 10 inches in length that hammer(think of a fist ful of uncooked spaghetti ) the metal and pick the rust off . the hammering is so intense it knocks scale off the inside as well .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #66
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I looked up a new frame from the dealer because I was curious.

Its part # 52058811AB and list price is $2,185.00.
that's way better than the 3000.00 i saw on line
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #67
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Sorry for jacking the thread a little. Does anyone know if this is exclusivly a TJ problem related to control arms, or does my YJ have it too?
It's not so a much a "frame" problem as it is a "regional" problem. There are CJ's (which have very weak frames) that are running all over the place in Canada and western US that are 30 years old in fine condition.

However where I live we get snow so they put salt on the roads, and it gets humid here in the summer....I could practically hear a CJ frame rust through in my neighborhood.

Dirt, mud, water, salt all sitting in the lowest part of the frame on the TJ's and left there is why the frames rot though from the inside out. Not to mention there is more stress there and a nice long weld from the factory.
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #68
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

this is out of a 2002 its down in hammonton NJ I'm going to ocean city NJ next week and its less than an hour from there so my dad's gonna drive down and if we like it he will just throw it in the van and bring it home I could be ripping the jeep apart as early as next week..
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #69
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjeep22 View Post

this is out of a 2002 its down in hammonton NJ I'm going to ocean city NJ next week and its less than an hour from there so my dad's gonna drive down and if we like it he will just throw it in the van and bring it home I could be ripping the jeep apart as early as next week..
Hope it's a BIG van... a frame pretty much needs a full car sized trailer to be moved. Been there done that.

Drill the frame holes, hose frame out after every trip. As long as it's clean and dry, it won't rust internally much. With a used frame start with a needle scaler as suggested. Do NOT use an acid on the inside of the frame unless you are gonna rinse the daylights out of it 10 times; acid keeps eating the metal at very low concentrations. Reconsider painting on a coating on the inside of the frame; paints keep the moisture against the frame. POR15 might help as it is impervious to moisture, but paint is porous and can CAUSE rust.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust , frame , lca , control mount , mount , bracket , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.