Frame basically snapped in half today...I have a lot of questions. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Frame basically snapped in half today...I have a lot of questions.

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 08-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #46
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I looked up a new frame from the dealer because I was curious.

Its part # 52058811AB and list price is $2,185.00.
hahahaha too bad insurance didnt cover it.....buy a new frame for 500........oh the things i could do with 1600

jerseyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #47
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How do you inspect a frame? What would you do to make sure it hasn't been in an accident, or is bent?
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #48
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
So the important question is how to keep your TJ frame from rusting out like his did. What are the best options for protecting your frame long term aside from just fluid film, waxoyl and such ???

Eric

I used a 3/8 drill bit. You need 4 inches or more to get up there. There is a hole in the factory bracket you can go straight through.

Everything will collect there unless you clean it out. That circled drain does not happen unless you drill into bottom of frame.
Unread 08-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #49
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thats gonna be one of the first things done to the new frame
Unread 08-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #50
turtlerace
Best taken in small doses

1979 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybone View Post
So where is the engine, tranny, and drive train hanging through all of this?
On the old rusted chassis as you roll it forward from under the Jeep? Then you
still have to swap all the axles and such. Somehow it sounds like an incredible amount of work. But then again, I have never done it, and the hardest thing I have done so far is a clutch replacement and a fender replacement with BL/MML at the same time.
You pull the cap and tub then remove the engine/trans/trans as one piece. I left them attached to my engine hoist on the other half of my garage while I swapped out the axles.
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #51
aspjeepguy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
I used a 3/8 drill bit. You need 4 inches or more to get up there. There is a hole in the factory bracket you can go straight through.

Everything will collect there unless you clean it out. That circled drain does not happen unless you drill into bottom of frame.
Do you have to remove the lower control arm to drill that hole?
aspjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #52
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjeep22 View Post
I also would like to know, if you guys were going to have your jeeps this far apart, are there any upgrades that are definitly worth doing? I'm just curious what you guys would do in my position.
Move out west to keep the moisture out of your stuff.

First thing I thought of when I saw this was "man, out east they must mudbog in salty mud and then park it in a barn to let it dry". Now I am going to go out and drill a hole or two in my frame just because....
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #53
99XombieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just back my jeep up onto a big rock or some ramps I made and wash out the frame after wheeling, all the water runs out the frame. Seems to work for me. I've lived in CO, KS, MO, and now stationed in OK. all of them love salt and I have very little rust on or in my frame from what I can see.
99XombieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #54
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspjeepguy View Post
Do you have to remove the lower control arm to drill that hole?
nope. all you ned to do is find hole in bracket and go up.

You aslo want to keep "stuff" out of that bracket right next to frame.
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #55
RodrigoC
2008 JK Wrangler 

I know about a junkyard close to where I live in Bergen County. The name of the place is Apache Auto Wreckers in Ridgefield Park. Just Google it, the phone number is in the web page. I know they have 3 TJs because thatís where I get my parts from but unfortunately I donít really know the years or engines they have. Best of luck with the swap
RodrigoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #56
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodrigoC View Post
I know about a junkyard close to where I live in Bergen County. The name of the place is Apache Auto Wreckers in Ridgefield Park. Just Google it, the phone number is in the web page. I know they have 3 TJs because thatís where I get my parts from but unfortunately I donít really know the years or engines they have. Best of luck with the swap
thanks I'll give them a call today
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #57
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I have a friend with a new 97 6 cylinder frame that was used for mock ups . He wants $800 for it and it is perfect . If you want his info pm me and I will send it to you . He is in VA Beach VA .
I pm'ed you by the way, a perfect frame is starting to sound pretty damn good hahaha
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #58
monkeee2002
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I also would like to know, if you guys were going to have your jeeps this far apart, are there any upgrades that are definitly worth doing? I'm just curious what you guys would do in my position.
If I had mine that far apart, I would definitely do the tummy tuck!
I haven't put it on mine yet, simply out of laziness, lol!

You've got some work ahead of you! Good luck, take pics if you get the chance, I'd love to see how it goes.

And definitely clean the new frame, and put your favorite kind of rust protection on it.
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #59
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

haha yeah rust protection is a must, and I'll definitly be taking a ton of pictures(don't want to have the thing in 50 pieces and then have no idea how they go back together lol) and I'll hopefully organize it into some sort of write up if i have time
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #60
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
haha yeah rust protection is a must, and I'll definitly be taking a ton of pictures(don't want to have the thing in 50 pieces and then have no idea how they go back together lol) and I'll hopefully organize it into some sort of write up if i have time
Read up on phosphoric acid (Oshpo and Navel Jelly) then good paint, and others will say Por-15 (I think needs UV protection top coat).
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust , frame , lca , control mount , mount , bracket , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.