Frame basically snapped in half today...I have a lot of questions. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Frame basically snapped in half today...I have a lot of questions.

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #31
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Know anyone in youngstown, Ohio?? this one is listed for $400
Jeep Wrangler 4.0 Chassis: Fits 1997-02 Wrangler. Comes with axles with 3.07 gears, steering box, gas tank
http://www.daveysjeeps.com/images/Parts/chassis1.jpg
Thats a lot of saleable or extra parts for $400

Note daveys is closed till aug 11th according to the website.

Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #32
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybone View Post
Geez, changing a frame out seems like you are basically rebuilding your Jeep from scratch. I mean, where do you begin axles or where?
Not really, were it me, I'd pull the front clip, jack the body up and shove poles through from side to side to hold it up since I don't have an A frame. Push the old rolling chassis out from under it, swap the drivetrain into it and push it back under the body.
Unread 08-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #33
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
My TJ doesn't have any rust in it's frame YET and I want to keep it that way

So just skip the to rise and then the POR15. Does the inside of the frame need to be really dry for the POR15 and if so whats the best way to dry it, just leave it overnight??

Also I know POR15 is some really thick stuff, how did you manage "wand" it inside the frame? Are you meaning a sprayer wand or just a stick with a POR15 soaked towel on the end of it?

As far as making it thinner has anyone tried heating it up maybe in a tank of boiling water to thin it out for application ?

Also if there is some rust that I don't know about is the POR15 going to stop it or just trap it in there and let it keep eating away at my frame?

As far as the outside of the frame is rust much of an issue there and should I also POR15 it or just use some fluid film or such a couple times a year?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not used to having to deal with a vehicle that is rust prone like the TJs seem to be.

Eric
i've yet to do it . i got a wand from eastwood for the exact purpose of tough to reach areas . it's an expensive tool about 120.00 but it is 100% quality . it uses a compressor to shoot the product like a paint gun without the bottle the wand is on a flexible hose type deal . i'm sure it'll work fine . por is thinable . and it is best applied to a wet surface .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #34
turtlerace
Best taken in small doses

1979 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Not really, were it me, I'd pull the front clip, jack the body up and shove poles through from side to side to hold it up since I don't have an A frame. Push the old rolling chassis out from under it, swap the drivetrain into it and push it back under the body.
That my friends, is how it is done!

Just finished my frame swap a few weeks ago. I completely disassebled it and got all the way to welding up new motor mounts with NO help. My dad came over and welded up the mounts and we had it on the road the next day. If you decide to do this and have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #35
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGiantPanda View Post
get a new frame... ive seen them as cheap as 250. find a buddy with a chain lift. the swap isnt hard, time consuming yes. i would plan on alot of headaches.... guess that youre going to have to fight alot of bolts. dunk the lowerhalf of the jeep in PB blaster..... or just just spray the crap out of every bolt on the whole under carriage periodically for a few days before you start.
Yeah I plan on spending today laying on the ground spraying pretty much every bolt on that thing. I'm gonna have to invest in the big tub of PB
jerseyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #36
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlerace View Post
That my friends, is how it is done!

Just finished my frame swap a few weeks ago. I completely disassebled it and got all the way to welding up new motor mounts with NO help. My dad came over and welded up the mounts and we had it on the road the next day. If you decide to do this and have any questions, feel free to PM me.
your and mr blaine's techniques sound a lot easier than what i had in mind. PM sent haha
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #37
DrownedTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjeep22 View Post
yeah im actually looking online for junkyards in the area as we speak, if anyone knows of any in the warren/sussex are of NJ let me know. And yeah as much as it sucks, I'm kind of excited to do this kind of work. Definitly a good experience as far as learning about jeeps goes. Should be interesting to say the least

All American auto salvage in avenel NJ....

they always have a lot of jeeps there.... maybe only a hour or so drive from where your at and they have trucks and deliver all over the state as well...
dont have the # of hand but google will get you there....

good luck! i am in the pine barrens and the acidic soil down here does wonders to frames. i hose mine down after every ride and coat in rustolem 2/3 times a year to try to prevent it from happening.
DrownedTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #38
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

While I'm doing this i might as well take a bunch of pictures and turn it into a sort of write up for a frame swap. That will help me keep things straight, and hopefully help the next poor ******* who lives in the salt belt with a bucket of rust

And thanks to everybody with offers for frames, I'm definitly keeping my eyes open for one. I've got a few calls to make on monday to some people in south jersey.
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #39
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I also would like to know, if you guys were going to have your jeeps this far apart, are there any upgrades that are definitly worth doing? I'm just curious what you guys would do in my position.
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #40
turtlerace
Best taken in small doses

1979 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
I also would like to know, if you guys were going to have your jeeps this far apart, are there any upgrades that are definitly worth doing? I'm just curious what you guys would do in my position.
I put a 2.5" RC lift on mine while I had it apart. I also took the opportunity to change all of the fluids to synthetic, and replace the exhaust.
Unread 08-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #41
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlerace View Post
I put a 2.5" RC lift on mine while I had it apart. I also took the opportunity to change all of the fluids to synthetic, and replace the exhaust.
Yeah I had a MML waiting to go in when this happened, so I'll put that on while its all torn apart. I'm also thinking I might as well throw on a 1" body lift. Why not right? haha I REALLY would love to find some cheap axles with better gearing to throw in, but I'm going to college in a month and need all the money I can get, so I'm not sure if thats gonna happen.
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #42
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
While I'm doing this i might as well take a bunch of pictures and turn it into a sort of write up for a frame swap. That will help me keep things straight, and hopefully help the next poor ******* who lives in the salt belt with a bucket of rust

And thanks to everybody with offers for frames, I'm definitly keeping my eyes open for one. I've got a few calls to make on monday to some people in south jersey.
That my friend, would be AWESOME and MOST appreciated! Thanks ahead.
Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #99
kaybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #43
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
So where is the engine, tranny, and drive train hanging through all of this?
On the old rusted chassis as you roll it forward from under the Jeep? Then you
still have to swap all the axles and such. Somehow it sounds like an incredible amount of work. But then again, I have never done it, and the hardest thing I have done so far is a clutch replacement and a fender replacement with BL/MML at the same time.
Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #99
kaybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #44
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I looked up a new frame from the dealer because I was curious.

Its part # 52058811AB and list price is $2,185.00.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #45
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybone View Post
So where is the engine, tranny, and drive train hanging through all of this?
On the old rusted chassis as you roll it forward from under the Jeep? Then you
still have to swap all the axles and such. Somehow it sounds like an incredible amount of work. But then again, I have never done it, and the hardest thing I have done so far is a clutch replacement and a fender replacement with BL/MML at the same time.
Yeah no matter how you look at it, its not an easy job. Funny thing is, you probably have me beat as far as experience . I've done a suspension lift, replaced a fender, and was planning on doing a MML today until this happened. That's all I've got as far as jeep experience

Tags
rust , frame , lca , control mount , mount , bracket , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.