Frame basically snapped in half today...I have a lot of questions. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Frame basically snapped in half today...I have a lot of questions.

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #16
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I would go with theducksguts on this... Try to get the newest frame you can find that would fit and don't forget to sand and repaint the new frame before the swap.

Good luck

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 02:28 PM   #17
F9K9

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is your friend. I see one for $650 listed in NJ and 5 that asks you to call for a price.

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F9K9 View Post
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is your friend. I see one for $650 listed in NJ and 5 that asks you to call for a price.
your my hero gotta make some calls, most are probably closed but ill call on monday if they are.

thats a big help man thanks
jerseyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #19
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a friend with a new 97 6 cylinder frame that was used for mock ups . He wants $800 for it and it is perfect . If you want his info pm me and I will send it to you . He is in VA Beach VA .
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I have a friend with a new 97 6 cylinder frame that was used for mock ups . He wants $800 for it and it is perfect . If you want his info pm me and I will send it to you . He is in VA Beach VA .
you can buy new frames?
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbiehind View Post
you can buy new frames?
This one was purchased from Chrysler to use for fabrication mock ups .
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #22
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So the important question is how to keep your TJ frame from rusting out like his did. What are the best options for protecting your frame long term aside from just fluid film, waxoyl and such ???

Eric
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #23
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjeep22 View Post
haha no oceans for me. And as for fixing it before this stage...there really isnt much I couldve done I bought it about 7 months ago knowing the frame had a rust problem. Everything was too far developed for painting the frame or anything to help.
So you bought it knowing it had major rust? I would have skipped that one and kept on looking for another jeep with better undercarrige and what not. Could have avoided all this.
In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #24
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
So the important question is how to keep your TJ frame from rusting out like his did. What are the best options for protecting your frame long term aside from just fluid film, waxoyl and such ???

Eric
you use a scaler on it to bust the rust inside loose . then you blow it out with compr. air real good . then you wand some rust neutralizer in there for 20 min. keep it wet . then rinse it out . then wand por 15 in there real good . then while tacky spray more por in there . do 3 coats . por is fine if it's not hit by sunlight .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 12:16 AM   #25
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
then you wand some rust neutralizer in there for 20 min. keep it wet . then rinse it out . then wand por 15 in there real good . then while tacky spray more por in there . do 3 coats . por is fine if it's not hit by sunlight .
My TJ doesn't have any rust in it's frame YET and I want to keep it that way

So just skip the to rise and then the POR15. Does the inside of the frame need to be really dry for the POR15 and if so whats the best way to dry it, just leave it overnight??

Also I know POR15 is some really thick stuff, how did you manage "wand" it inside the frame? Are you meaning a sprayer wand or just a stick with a POR15 soaked towel on the end of it?

As far as making it thinner has anyone tried heating it up maybe in a tank of boiling water to thin it out for application ?

Also if there is some rust that I don't know about is the POR15 going to stop it or just trap it in there and let it keep eating away at my frame?

As far as the outside of the frame is rust much of an issue there and should I also POR15 it or just use some fluid film or such a couple times a year?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not used to having to deal with a vehicle that is rust prone like the TJs seem to be.

Eric
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:56 AM   #26
theGiantPanda
Swap This...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

get a new frame... ive seen them as cheap as 250. find a buddy with a chain lift. the swap isnt hard, time consuming yes. i would plan on alot of headaches.... guess that youre going to have to fight alot of bolts. dunk the lowerhalf of the jeep in PB blaster..... or just just spray the crap out of every bolt on the whole under carriage periodically for a few days before you start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hospital? What, are you suffering from Overextended Jeepaphelia or something? :)
I've never been poor, only broke. Poor is a state of mind. Broke is a condition brought on by Jeep ownership and a heavy right foot.

2006 Unlimited Redicon Panda Edition
RRI Long Arm...14" Fox CO's Front and Rear...D60 KP Front and D60 FF Rear... 5.38s spooled...40" Maxxis Trepadors...
6.1 HEMI...Atlas 5.1

5.7 HEMI 400 hp TJ Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ye...17/?highlight=
6.1 HEMI Ultimate LJ Rubicon Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...ayhem-1013800/
2.5 to 4.0L swap and build up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he.../#post14946167
4.0 to 2008 5.3L GM LS in the Taco'd TJ [frame off build].....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-...28/?highlight=
My new DD Build, lift, 4.0 motor swap, done in 6 days?....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/6.../#post15716292

the new shop... http://redrockwiring.com/ conversion, parts and wiring systems
shop email.... info@redrockindustries.net
LIKE US on facebook..... https://www.facebook.com/redrockindustriesinc adding more daily
redrockindustries.net
theGiantPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #27
aspjeepguy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can easily change the frame yourself. Get your camera ready and go very slow. I have seen some 4 cylinder ones go for $300.

Johnny
aspjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #28
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Geez, changing a frame out seems like you are basically rebuilding your Jeep from scratch. I mean, where do you begin axles or where? If anyone does this I sure hope they photograph and do a write-up. Now I am in fear of my own '99 snow-belt environment frame - yikes.
Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #99
kaybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #29
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
you use a scaler on it to bust the rust inside loose . then you blow it out with compr. air real good . then you wand some rust neutralizer in there for 20 min. keep it wet . then rinse it out . then wand por 15 in there real good . then while tacky spray more por in there . do 3 coats . por is fine if it's not hit by sunlight .
I'm with TheFog on this. Could you please post a more in-depth "how to" for this with a product link for the scaler?

Also, what if the frame already has mud in it? Will this get it all out?
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #30
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If I was going to swap frames, I'd get a new frame. Or, one that didn't come from New Jersey (read: any place they salt roads, etc.). Why start with a frame that has rust to start with?
robncar is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust , frame , lca , control mount , mount , bracket , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.