Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Frame basically snapped in half today...I have a lot of questions.

10K views 68 replies 30 participants last post by  Boodyrider 
#1 · (Edited)
So this morning I decided to drive to the gym, I pull out the driveway and as I shift into 3rd I feel the rear right side kick. I pull over, thinking I had a flat, and this happened.

Now the average person would think some duct dape and guerilla glue would fix that right up, but me (the intelligent person i am), I know i'm pretty much ****ed. definitly not a good morning.

Obvoiusly, my frame is rusty as hell, and I expected something like this eventually, but I guess today is as good as any day for me to be **** out of luck. I backed down the road slowly, and pulled back into my driveway.

I am in need of a frame swap. (if you think otherwise please let me know)

1) what year frames can I use with the I6?

2) can i use frames from a 4 cylinder? because I would love to buy a donor jeep with a blown 4 and swap in axles with 4.10's(I have 3.07's)as well.

3) I'm really hoping my dad and I can do all of this, is that realistic?

I dont really know what else to say. What would you do in this situation? are there any upgrades that I should do while its apart? What would you do?

Basically, I'm heartbroken, I love my jeep, and any help/advice would be great. This is a great place, and im hoping it can help me do this. Thanks guys

Edit: the reason I figure the swap is worth it is because the body is clean and the engine is running strong(knock on wood) at 93,000.

See less See more
#8 ·
That is a MAJOR problem area in TJ's. I would recommend drilling a drainage hole underneath the frame on each side there for your next frame.

Here are two pics - one is the front where there are no drainage issues and one is the rear. Can you tell which one is which?

To the OP: What does the front of yours look like?

#10 ·
jerseyjeep22 said:
guerilla glue
sounds dangerous :eek: :)

That really sucks man, but I don't think a frame swap would be too hard. You could call around junkyards around you and see if they have an old totaled TJ or something (idk how it works), unbolt your tub, t-case, and engine/tranny, and set it on the new one. :shhh:

#11 ·
yeah im actually looking online for junkyards in the area as we speak, if anyone knows of any in the warren/sussex are of NJ let me know. And yeah as much as it sucks, I'm kind of excited to do this kind of work. Definitly a good experience as far as learning about jeeps goes. Should be interesting to say the least

#15 ·
Pretty much. The changed ever so slightly in 2003. Different mounting bolt locations, etc.

As for welding it to fix it. I don't think you could cut and weld a fix that would maintain any soft of safe or sound structural integrity for road use unless you replaced the majority of the frame with new material.

If I were to tackle this project I would do as straight of a swap as I could.

#13 ·
I'm kind of excited to do this kind of work. Definitly a good experience as far as learning about jeeps goes. Should be interesting to say the least
Sounds brutal, but like you say, you will learn a lot and have the pride of saying you did it yourself when finished. Good luck.

#14 ·
I say that you should go buy a stick welder and some cut-off wheels, sanding disk, and some rustoleum paint and go visit your local "Metal by the Foot" place and fix it yourself.

Practice on some scrap metal for a while, watch some old episodes of Powerblock TV and figure out how to fix yourself. You'd then have an elementary education in welding and fabrication. See if you have any buddies that can help.

Dont be afraid to learn new skills because you are afraid to fail.

It'll cost you far more money to buy a parts jeep, then you've got to store it someplace.

Buy decent tools and they will last you a lifetime.

Im just sayin

#16 ·
Yes I would go with theducksguts on this... Try to get the newest frame you can find that would fit and don't forget to sand and repaint the new frame before the swap.

Good luck :)

#22 ·
So the important question is how to keep your TJ frame from rusting out like his did. What are the best options for protecting your frame long term aside from just fluid film, waxoyl and such ???

Eric

#24 ·
you use a scaler on it to bust the rust inside loose . then you blow it out with compr. air real good . then you wand some rust neutralizer in there for 20 min. keep it wet . then rinse it out . then wand por 15 in there real good . then while tacky spray more por in there . do 3 coats . por is fine if it's not hit by sunlight .

#26 ·
get a new frame... ive seen them as cheap as 250. find a buddy with a chain lift. the swap isnt hard, time consuming yes. i would plan on alot of headaches.... guess that youre going to have to fight alot of bolts. dunk the lowerhalf of the jeep in PB blaster.:D.... or just just spray the crap out of every bolt on the whole under carriage periodically for a few days before you start.

#28 ·
Geez, changing a frame out seems like you are basically rebuilding your Jeep from scratch. I mean, where do you begin axles or where? If anyone does this I sure hope they photograph and do a write-up. Now I am in fear of my own '99 snow-belt environment frame - yikes.

#32 ·
Geez, changing a frame out seems like you are basically rebuilding your Jeep from scratch. I mean, where do you begin axles or where?
Not really, were it me, I'd pull the front clip, jack the body up and shove poles through from side to side to hold it up since I don't have an A frame. Push the old rolling chassis out from under it, swap the drivetrain into it and push it back under the body.

#30 ·
If I was going to swap frames, I'd get a new frame. Or, one that didn't come from New Jersey (read: any place they salt roads, etc.). Why start with a frame that has rust to start with?

#31 ·
Know anyone in youngstown, Ohio?? this one is listed for $400
Jeep Wrangler 4.0 Chassis: Fits 1997-02 Wrangler. Comes with axles with 3.07 gears, steering box, gas tank
http://www.daveysjeeps.com/images/Parts/chassis1.jpg
Thats a lot of saleable or extra parts for $400

Note daveys is closed till aug 11th according to the website.

#38 ·
While I'm doing this i might as well take a bunch of pictures and turn it into a sort of write up for a frame swap. That will help me keep things straight, and hopefully help the next poor ******* who lives in the salt belt with a bucket of rust :cheers2:

And thanks to everybody with offers for frames, I'm definitly keeping my eyes open for one. I've got a few calls to make on monday to some people in south jersey.

#42 ·
While I'm doing this i might as well take a bunch of pictures and turn it into a sort of write up for a frame swap. That will help me keep things straight, and hopefully help the next poor ******* who lives in the salt belt with a bucket of rust :cheers2:

And thanks to everybody with offers for frames, I'm definitly keeping my eyes open for one. I've got a few calls to make on monday to some people in south jersey.
That my friend, would be AWESOME and MOST appreciated! Thanks ahead.

#53 ·
I just back my jeep up onto a big rock or some ramps I made and wash out the frame after wheeling, all the water runs out the frame. Seems to work for me. I've lived in CO, KS, MO, and now stationed in OK. all of them love salt and I have very little rust on or in my frame from what I can see.

#55 ·
I know about a junkyard close to where I live in Bergen County. The name of the place is Apache Auto Wreckers in Ridgefield Park. Just Google it, the phone number is in the web page. I know they have 3 TJs because that’s where I get my parts from but unfortunately I don’t really know the years or engines they have. Best of luck with the swap

#56 ·
I know about a junkyard close to where I live in Bergen County. The name of the place is Apache Auto Wreckers in Ridgefield Park. Just Google it, the phone number is in the web page. I know they have 3 TJs because that's where I get my parts from but unfortunately I don't really know the years or engines they have. Best of luck with the swap
thanks I'll give them a call today

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.