Found mystery part in bottom of transfer case... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Found mystery part in bottom of transfer case...

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 03-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Found mystery part in bottom of transfer case...

I cracked open my NP231J transfer case this afternoon to swap in a SS SYE. I found some part fragments in recess of the the bottom of the case under the oil pump pickup. It appears to be hard black plastic of some sort.

I addition I found a small amount of metal shavings on / around the filter. I am not sure if that is related.

The part fragment I have pictured below seems to be part of something circular. The inside diameter of the circle makes me thinks it may have come from the rod the holds the shift forks. I looked at the online exploded diagrams but I didn't finds anything... Thoughts?

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Stinkbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Shift fork would be my guess.

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That was one of my first thoughts but the radius is too tight... Looks kind of like a broken plastic washer.
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, shoot, how 'bout the shift mode fork or filter? You might have to tear it down and go through it. But, since you were going to install the SYE anyway, now might be the time. Novak has a master rebuild kit and instructions on how to do it...

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/t..._231_parts.htm
images.jpg

images-1-.jpg

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I tore it all apart today and didn't find any other remnants of the part or anything that looked out of place.

I did notice that the case has been apart before, one of the heads on the bolts for the input shaft bearing retainer was stripped and the magnet that goes below the filter was missing. Maybe it was just FOD from the last time it was cracked open...

I will just rebuild it and call it good.
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkbug View Post
Well I tore it all apart today and didn't find any other remnants of the part or anything that looked out of place.

I did notice that the case has been apart before, one of the heads on the bolts for the input shaft bearing retainer was stripped and the magnet that goes below the filter was missing. Maybe it was just FOD from the last time it was cracked open...

I will just rebuild it and call it good.
If you need any case parts, let me know.
Unread 03-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you, I really appreciate that.
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It appears that there is a plastic washer of sorts that and both ends of the planetary gears. That was is a piece of one...

Now I have two new problems:
  1. Locating a new plastic piece
  2. Figuring out how to separate the planetary gear from the basket that holds them

I am thinking this part might not be serviceable. Maybe it has to to be replaced as a unit?

Any thoughts?
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkbug View Post
It appears that there is a plastic washer of sorts that and both ends of the planetary gears. That was is a piece of one...

Now I have two new problems:
  1. Locating a new plastic piece
  2. Figuring out how to separate the planetary gear from the basket that holds them

I am thinking this part might not be serviceable. Maybe it has to to be replaced as a unit?

Any thoughts?
Thoughts? I have two, the first is that I probably have parts if you need them. Second is dig through this and see if any of it helps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/up...-231-a-573946/
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That is an excellent write up... I am planning on following it when I start to put this thing back together.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.