Found an 03 Wrangler Rubi, thinking about test driving! What to look for in a used TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Found an 03 Wrangler Rubi, thinking about test driving! What to look for in a used TJ

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
Polaris Junkie

Found an 03 Wrangler Rubi, thinking about test driving! What to look for in a used TJ

I was looking around at Jeeps last week and walked up on an '03 Wrangler Rubicon at one of the local Stealerships used car lot. It caught my attention because it had a hard top and an automatic. I walked around it and noticed that it had a bald set of Wrangler MT/Rs (I know they came with those tires so....) I am not sure how many miles it had, (digital odometer and 9:00 at night so....). I passed it up and kept it in the back of my mind well, now I am starting to wonder about it and am thinking about going back and taking another look and possible test driving it.

Is there anything that I should be looking for to be wrong? I mean out of the ordinary, is there something that is typical to fail on them? Let me know!

Last edited by Polaris Junkie; 10-06-2006 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Title was originally " thinking about test driving! What to look for in a used JK" Should be TJ!
Polaris Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 07:30 AM   #2
strobengh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris Junkie
I was looking around at Jeeps last week and walked up on an '03 Wrangler Rubicon at one of the local Stealerships used car lot. It caught my attention because it had a hard top and an automatic. I walked around it and noticed that it had a bald set of Wrangler MT/Rs (I know they came with those tires so....) I am not sure how many miles it had, (digital odometer and 9:00 at night so....). I passed it up and kept it in the back of my mind well, now I am starting to wonder about it and am thinking about going back and taking another look and possible test driving it.

Is there anything that I should be looking for to be wrong? I mean out of the ordinary, is there something that is typical to fail on them? Let me know!
Not sure you're going to find too many used JK's just yet . . . and if they are, they won't have more than a few thousand miles on them.
strobengh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
Polaris Junkie

Quote:
Not sure you're going to find too many used JK's just yet . . . and if they are, they won't have more than a few thousand miles on them.
WOW! I have the wrong one! My mistake! I guess this should be moved to the TJ forum!

Sorry! My Mistake I guess you can tell how fimiliar with the Wranglers I am!
Unread 10-06-2006, 07:43 AM   #4
Polaris Junkie

Please Ignore this! I am going to e-mail an Administrator and see if I can get this erased, I will repost in the Correct forum.

Sorry! My mistake!
Unread 10-06-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Moved as requested to the TJ forum from the JK forum
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #6
nierace
2003 WJ 

You might just be better off buying a left over 06 if you can find one. The reason I say this is because of the financing and the discounts they do on the new ones. They really hold their value very well, so that 2003 is probably about 18k, and has around 50k on it.

I think you'd be better off spending an extra 6 grand and getting a new one...

BTW, You're a embarrassment to dub js.

sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
Polaris Junkie

Quote:
Thanks for makeing me feel worse than I already do....
Unread 10-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
bheiser
2006 KJ Liberty 

Yah, I got what I consider to be an *excellent* deal on my '06 TJ, with the factory discount, a dealer discount, and a good price for my traded-in XJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
You might just be better off buying a left over 06 if you can find one. The reason I say this is because of the financing and the discounts they do on the new ones. They really hold their value very well, so that 2003 is probably about 18k, and has around 50k on it.

I think you'd be better off spending an extra 6 grand and getting a new one...

bheiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
2000yellowtj

To answer your original question I would crawl underneath the Jeep and look for any scrapes or dings in the skid plates. Chances are if this Rubicon has been off roaded it will be very obvious when you crawl underneath of it. I am not saying that would be a definate reason to not buy it, but it would definately be a good negotiating point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.