Forward driveshaft clanging like crazy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Forward driveshaft clanging like crazy

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
CrackSlinger
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Forward driveshaft clanging like crazy

Hi everyone,

I'm working through some problems that are current on a beautiful 97 TJ that I picked up a few months ago. I'm working through them one at a time. The guy who owned it before me lifted it 4" with a lot of patches, and jerry rigged methods.

For one, instead of installing an SYE and DC driveshaft on the rear, he installed what looks like a transfer case lowering kit in order to drop the slip yoke a few degrees, and rotated the rear axle pinion up a few degrees in order to line it up parallel with the plane of the dropped t-case. Vibrating, sure, but running well enough that for now I'll hold off on dropping the 6-700 bucks needed to get it running properly with the new drive shaft.

Well, driving around town I had an annoying rattling and squealing coming from under the jeep, it was driving me crazy and I spent a lot of hours under there pushing and pulling, finding loose parts and clamping things down as I found them. I replaced the U joints on the rear drive shaft, found they were in pretty good shape and the sound didn't change at all.

Well, I put the truck in 4H and took it for a test drive around the block, and DANG DANG DANG DANG goes the front end. Whoops, I thought, the banging I've been hearing is the forward drive shaft turning at low torque while I'm in 2H on the road. So as an experiment, I took the front shaft off completely last night, took it for a test drive, and lo and behold the sound is completely gone.

I did a nice inspection of the shaft - I'll post pictures of it when I dig out my camera. All of the U joints are rusted to hell and the overall quality of the shaft is pretty rough - pitted metal, rotten joints, etc. Also, I realized that the t-case lowering kit, while serving to drop the rear angle a little to line it up with the rear pinion, only served to increase the angle on the front end of the t-case... likely bringing the front driveshaft out of it's permissible range of angular engagement.

Like I said, hack work.

So what do you think? The obvious thing to me is to install the proper drive shaft kit on the rear, level out the transmission, and re-install the front shaft with new U joints. Make sense? Am I missing anything?

Thanks a lot

Keith

PS How do I upgrade my membership?

CrackSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-1.htm

And yes, fix those driveline angles with an SYE, driveshaft and adjustable rear uppers.

Searching for a CJ again

Sold: 2000 TJ
1983 CJ7 Renegade
djfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackSlinger View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm working through some problems that are current on a beautiful 97 TJ that I picked up a few months ago. I'm working through them one at a time. The guy who owned it before me lifted it 4" with a lot of patches, and jerry rigged methods.

For one, instead of installing an SYE and DC driveshaft on the rear, he installed what looks like a transfer case lowering kit in order to drop the slip yoke a few degrees, and rotated the rear axle pinion up a few degrees in order to line it up parallel with the plane of the dropped t-case. Vibrating, sure, but running well enough that for now I'll hold off on dropping the 6-700 bucks needed to get it running properly with the new drive shaft.

Well, driving around town I had an annoying rattling and squealing coming from under the jeep, it was driving me crazy and I spent a lot of hours under there pushing and pulling, finding loose parts and clamping things down as I found them. I replaced the U joints on the rear drive shaft, found they were in pretty good shape and the sound didn't change at all.

Well, I put the truck in 4H and took it for a test drive around the block, and DANG DANG DANG DANG goes the front end. Whoops, I thought, the banging I've been hearing is the forward drive shaft turning at low torque while I'm in 2H on the road. So as an experiment, I took the front shaft off completely last night, took it for a test drive, and lo and behold the sound is completely gone.

I did a nice inspection of the shaft - I'll post pictures of it when I dig out my camera. All of the U joints are rusted to hell and the overall quality of the shaft is pretty rough - pitted metal, rotten joints, etc. Also, I realized that the t-case lowering kit, while serving to drop the rear angle a little to line it up with the rear pinion, only served to increase the angle on the front end of the t-case... likely bringing the front driveshaft out of it's permissible range of angular engagement.

Like I said, hack work.

So what do you think? The obvious thing to me is to install the proper drive shaft kit on the rear, level out the transmission, and re-install the front shaft with new U joints. Make sense? Am I missing anything?

Thanks a lot

Keith

PS How do I upgrade my membership?
Hack work? You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.