Forget death wobble, this is was a death vibrate to hell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Forget death wobble, this is was a death vibrate to hell

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
flabombero

Forget death wobble, this is was a death vibrate to hell

i have a 97 Wrangle 4 cy with 31x10.5x15 tires and a 2 inch booster lift. Its been this way for last 4 years. Today as i was driving around 50 mph, I hit a railroad tracks that I hit every day on my way home. The next thing I know, the jeep is vibrating to hell and i barely could hold on to the steering wheel. It did this all the way till I slowed down to 10mph and thats with me braking as hard as I could. My wife was behind me and saw the whole thing and told me all 4 tires looked like they were about to fall off. Never had a wobble or any vibrations. What in the world could have caused this? I don't want to drive it again till I figure this out.

flabombero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know it sounds dumb but i would check my lug nuts first.
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
flabombero

Did that already. And afterwards it drove just fine.
Unread 05-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I thought that's what we called DW.

My wife was behind me driving too and said the same thing. The wheel shook so hard it bruised my thumb as I gripped it to try to calm it the first time. Lesson learned and one from wheeling old rigs I should have known better.

I'm thinking the tracks were enough to set off DW for you. Same way potholes do for many others. When mine was bad after a week or two even a small section change of concrete on the freeway could ignite it.
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Tmoore03
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hope you get it all figured out.

[COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"]
[/LEFT][URL="www.militaryjeepers.com"]www.militaryjeepers.com[/URL][/LEFT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
Tmoore03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
flabombero

i guess it is a DW. I assumed it was just the vibration at certain speed was the DW. Now that I have read up on DW, thats exactly what happened. So what would be the first thing to replace or do? balance tires?
Unread 05-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^ Need to go through some details first.

Could be loose components, could be balance too, a long list of things. In the end it's a combination of circumstances that makes it occur and ALWAYS suspension components unable to handle the axle properly is the problem. Though we can't always easily solve that in some cases so I generally lean towards a moderate fix of what can be done. No band-aid fixes like a steering stabilizer though.

The first thing I'd do is have a look at your suspension components and steering components and see if something is blatantly loose. For example your track bar where it mounts to the axle is a definite spot to check. I'd grab a prybar of sorts and see if some bushings are obviously worn and have play in them.

For steering you can park against a curb as I did and have the wife or friend give quick (but low strength) jerks of the steering wheel back and fourth while you look/listen/feel for play in the steering components. There's a "dry steering test" you could search on here which will do a great job of this.

Balancing your tires is what "cured" it for me. Though it may not fix yours it sure as heck won't hurt. Though first the free things like tightening up loose components makes the most sense. If you can't find anything to be loose nor any bushings worn I'd go balance the tires. In my case I got this far and it was cured and been fine the last year or more.

Don't replace components having no idea if they're worn or not though.
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.