Ford HP D44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford HP D44

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ford HP D44

I found one of these in my area for $150. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's a pretty good price. Now I've heard of people cutting these down and using Waggy shafts, but I can't seem to find any threads on it. Could anyone give me a link? Or would I be better off keeping it Like it is and getting a 9" or D60 rear? (probably a stupid question)

Unread 03-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard of guys using 1971-1977 Ford High Pinion Dana 44's from an F-150/bronco. They went to disks in 1976, and the F-150/bronco version was 5 on 5.5. The bronco version was 58" wide. If it has a radius arm wedge, the wedge is pressed on to the tube...the tube isn't one piece. www.therangerstation.com has some good Dana 44 info for you.

I'm still trying to decide, as I have a waggy 44 in my garage, but I'll have to convert to the ford outers/rotors/hubs to get 5x5.5 to match the adapters I bought for my 8.8
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

depends on what HP D44 it is. if its a HP D44 from a 77-79 F250, then heck yea. if its a HP D44 from 78-79 F150/Bronco its useless.

read this:
Dana 44 Solid Front Axle: Part 1 Reverse Spiral Housing
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

another good reference:

The Driver Side Differential Dana 44
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I emailed the guy and it's from a '79 f-150. So I guess it's not worth anything?
Unread 03-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you want this

Unread 03-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
you want this

Yes. Yes I do.
Unread 03-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

From those links it looks like unless it came out of a super cab truck it won't be worth anything.
Unread 03-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of people say the 1/2ton D44 from Ford's 77-1/2-79 F150 trucks is a bad axle to use. But figure, its installed in a truck that weighs much more than your Jeep and many truck owners run 33s on the stock truck setup. Many TJ owners install a 8.8 into the rear but that has tube-to-diff-housing issues which get handled. Why not do the same to the 1/2tn D44?

Yah, it uses radius arms, but so what. What do you think longarms from many aftermarket suspensions are? They tie the upper link to the lower link. Also, there are some things you can do to a Ford radius arm that minimizes the stock design flaws.
Many talk down on the axle, but really, it is bigger, larger, heavier than the stock D30 and has manual hubs, larger brakes, larger hub bearings and uses the same size ujoint (297/760) as benefits.

Yah, it will take some work to make it mount under the Jeep frame, but all that can be handled with a some intuative bracket design and welding. Get the matching rear 9" axle from the same truck.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:50 AM   #10
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagular7 View Post
Lots of people say the 1/2ton D44 from Ford's 77-1/2-79 F150 trucks is a bad axle to use. But figure, its installed in a truck that weighs much more than your Jeep and many truck owners run 33s on the stock truck setup. Many TJ owners install a 8.8 into the rear but that has tube-to-diff-housing issues which get handled. Why not do the same to the 1/2tn D44?

Yah, it uses radius arms, but so what. What do you think longarms from many aftermarket suspensions are? They tie the upper link to the lower link. Also, there are some things you can do to a Ford radius arm that minimizes the stock design flaws.
Many talk down on the axle, but really, it is bigger, larger, heavier than the stock D30 and has manual hubs, larger brakes, larger hub bearings and uses the same size ujoint (297/760) as benefits.

Yah, it will take some work to make it mount under the Jeep frame, but all that can be handled with a some intuative bracket design and welding. Get the matching rear 9" axle from the same truck.
get one, stuff it in and give us a write up
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
pachary
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What I don't understand is the number of people who go full width (if you don't narrow it). Once you decide on living with the width, or narrowing, I can;'t see not stepping right up to the 60.

Especially when they use the matching rear 60 with the full width 44 front...........

2005 TJ Unlimited/I6-M6/Rubi 4:1 Tcase/4.5RESF/1.25JKS BL-1BMML/37"SSRs/WarnM8000/Besttop TireCarrier/Waggy D44/ FR-RR DetroitD44/Cobra Remote CB/custom F&R Bumpers/JeeperMan Skids/York OBA/Rokmen TummyTuck/TNT 3" Fenders and Rear Corners/AA SYE- Carolina Drivelines CV Shaft
pachary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #12
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachary View Post
What I don't understand is the number of people who go full width (if you don't narrow it). Once you decide on living with the width, or narrowing, I can;'t see not stepping right up to the 60.

Especially when they use the matching rear 60 with the full width 44 front...........
not everyone want's 1 tons and 42's
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
pachary
2005 LJ Wrangler 

From what I have seen, the width causes more trail issues than clearance under the pumpkin. And you can always get into shaving............

Oh and my bud that runs tons and 42s has MORE diff clearance than I do on 37s with D44s..........I would venture to say that 39s would probably give him similar diff clearance to what I have on 37s. Axle strength/durability is another story.

Dont forget the second part of my statement. I know around here we have a bunch of folks willing to use that rear 60..............They do this (IMHO) due to cost. But find that they want a tire big enough to justify that rear 60 and eventually realize the front HP44 ain't up to the task that the rear can handle.

Now if we can find some waggy width HP44s, I want to be first in line! ?(without needing to narrow)

2005 TJ Unlimited/I6-M6/Rubi 4:1 Tcase/4.5RESF/1.25JKS BL-1BMML/37"SSRs/WarnM8000/Besttop TireCarrier/Waggy D44/ FR-RR DetroitD44/Cobra Remote CB/custom F&R Bumpers/JeeperMan Skids/York OBA/Rokmen TummyTuck/TNT 3" Fenders and Rear Corners/AA SYE- Carolina Drivelines CV Shaft
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #14
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

if there was a 60-62" HP44 it would be the perfect fit for a TJ.
But, a narrowed SD, HP44 and a 44 rear give you much better gearing options for 35's
Unread 03-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #15
pachary
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
if there was a 60-62" HP44 it would be the perfect fit for a TJ.
But, a narrowed SD, HP44 and a 44 rear give you much better gearing options for 35's

Absolutely! But the narrowing puts (me at least) too dang close to a 60 to bother with the 44. I am specifically talking about a FULL WIDTH front 44.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.