Ford f-150 shock towers up front- Mini write-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford f-150 shock towers up front- Mini write-up

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ford f-150 shock towers up front- Mini write-up

I did this the other day so I could take advantage of the droop I have available. I hope it helps someone, it's super easy. I already had the towers, so I used them. You could just as easily cut a 4" piece of steel, bend it into place and re-use the factory mount if you like. My new shocks had an eyelet at the top so this worked out best for me. These are 13.50 each from a ford dealership, and te part number is readily available in several other threads on here. Sorry, I don't have it on hand to give. I only had my cell phone on me when I was doing these. Enjoy.

Marking the stock mount...

Here I cut the top off, and just took a BFH and beat the ford mount into the hole trying to get an idea...

Two of these because I didn't know if the tape would show up well enough in either... If you can't tell, it's about a 4.5" difference.

All done!

What I didn't show was that I made a relief cut through the back corner of the stock mount about halfway down. It made things much much much easier to get formed around the new mounts.

I'm quite happy. It's retarded easy, and I'd suggest everyone do it if you want to gain some up travel, run some way longer shocks, or both. ;P

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I like it. I'm going to use teh F250 mounts in the rear and they look like they would work well up front too.

I assume they are the same part number as the 250 mounts?

from Stu's website.

My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Was that welded in after u beat it in?
In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_Sahara_Man View Post
Was that welded in after u beat it in?
If you look close you can see a weld bead on the aft side verticle.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yea didnt see that.
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good James.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The mouts are the same as the f150, f250, f350's. I actually ordered the mounts specifically for the "f350". That same part number came. And yes, I welded it. Sorry for not being more clear guys.

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When you gonna change your avi?
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_Sahara_Man View Post
When you gonna change your avi?
I have been wondering the same thing since his Jeep got the lift.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Haha everytime I see his name I'm expecting to see his "new" rig but its the same one for a while
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

nicely done. how much longer of a shock were you able to use? did you have any problems finding a non-stud upper mount shock that was valved for a TJ? (i see you've got adjustables, just wondering)
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
nicely done. how much longer of a shock were you able to use? did you have any problems finding a non-stud upper mount shock that was valved for a TJ? (i see you've got adjustables, just wondering)
I am now running 14" travel fronts and 12" rears. Rancho had plenty with eyelets on top around that range. I love these shocks. I have them set on 6 for on road, going to try 4 wheeling here in a few hours.

Unread 10-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I know this thread is a couple of months old... but...

I had seen several out-boarding threads for the rear, but only one front tower modification mudb8 did.

I am liking this idea.

Will eliminating the tube that wraps around the spring perch and the shock tower cause any issues with the perch not being strong enough?
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #14
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckboarder55 View Post
I know this thread is a couple of months old... but...

I had seen several out-boarding threads for the rear, but only one front tower modification mudb8 did.

I am liking this idea.

Will eliminating the tube that wraps around the spring perch and the shock tower cause any issues with the perch not being strong enough?
Nope. Mine haven't moved at all. How did Mudb8 do his? I don't know that I'd seen anyone else do it like I did yet. I'm sure it's been done before. I'd heard of guys using the mounts differently, but have yet to see someone else (aside from those friends that have done it since me), do it.

Unread 10-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Air shocks or coilovers in the future?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.