Ford 9" from a 76 half ton - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 9" from a 76 half ton

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #76
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I'm going to stretch 4" and see if it makes a difference.
That should roughly be the angle equivalent to throwing that 9" under a bone stock TJ(with SYE added though).

(moving t-case up 4" via lift and belly skid + moving rear axle back 4" should negate each other).

Maybe peek under a stock TJ and use your -i-m-a-g-i-n-a-t-i-o-n-

Only difference will be the actual length of the driveshaft... yours will be 4+ in longer after the stretch but the angles should be close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #77
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
That should roughly be the angle equivalent to throwing that 9" under a bone stock TJ(with SYE added though).

(moving t-case up 4" via lift and belly skid + moving rear axle back 4" should negate each other).

Maybe peek under a stock TJ and use your -i-m-a-g-i-n-a-t-i-o-n-

Only difference will be the actual length of the driveshaft... yours will be 4+ in longer after the stretch but the angles should be close.
I'm wondering how much longer my DS will actually be though...the pinion on the 9" sticks out a mile! Plus my driveshaft was custom made for me when I was on almost 5" of lift...I only have about 1-1.5" of splines exposed in the DS. It might actually work without me buying a new DS. Atleast in theory...

We'll see...I'd rather need a long DS than have one so short and steep that it's undriveable.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #78
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

When are you planning to move to 37" tires? If you are sticking with 35's for a few years why dont you just run the Currie HP and then when you go to 37's swap everything over?
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #79
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

As far as axle shafts, before you go get some re-splined or custom made, why not look into the multitude of factory widths that the 9" came in with 31 spline axles? You could probably narrow the housing to factory specs for one of these different axles and be able to use off-the-shelf axles.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #80
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
When are you planning to move to 37" tires? If you are sticking with 35's for a few years why dont you just run the Currie HP and then when you go to 37's swap everything over?
$$$... why do it twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundlitefan View Post
As far as axle shafts, before you go get some re-splined or custom made, why not look into the multitude of factory widths that the 9" came in with 31 spline axles? You could probably narrow the housing to factory specs for one of these different axles and be able to use off-the-shelf axles.
Thought about that...I could get to pretty much stock width within the 9" factory specs, but I'm going to need adapters in the front to run 5x5.5 front and rear (need to buy new wheels $$$) so then that would make the front wider than the rear (unless I ran spacers on both axles $$$)

OR I could cut it to 63, order up custom 35 spline shafts drilled to 5x4.5 ($345 from Moser) keep my stock wheels (saves $$$ on new wheels and mount and balance) and just run some 1.25" spacers in the front to keep the width even...

Quote:
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #81
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thought about that...I could get to pretty much stock width within the 9" factory specs, but I'm going to need adapters in the front to run 5x5.5 front and rear (need to buy new wheels $$$) so then that would make the front wider than the rear (unless I ran spacers on both axles $$$)

OR I could cut it to 63, order up custom 35 spline shafts drilled to 5x4.5 ($345 from Moser) keep my stock wheels (saves $$$ on new wheels and mount and balance) and just run some 1.25" spacers in the front to keep the width even...
What are you going to do in front then when you jump to 37's? Gonna be putting a lot of faith in that HP30. Going 5x5.5 might cost you more now, but it leaves more options open for when you upgrade in front.

To be honest I doubt it is even a real issue. If you are getting custom shafts it is just a few bucks more to get them drilled for 5x4.5 AND 5x5.5. Lots of aftermarket chromo axles come with both patterns already drilled that way off the shelf.

Just out of curiosity, if you are looking at all the work and money involved in narrowing and building a rear axle, why are you so dead set against narrowing a D60? You spend roughly the same money, and end up with a stronger axle and better driveline angles. Or even cheaper yet, a 14 bolt. There is bunches of info on shaving and plating them, and they are even cheaper than ford 9's.

Personally, if I were going to attempt to narrow an axle and build a custom rear by myself for a TJ, I would not bother with a 9". It is just too problematic to do well unless you want to go HP, which you don't. And I have much love for ford 9's, since I am running a Currie HP9 in front.

I really thought about it last year, and nearly pulled the trigger on a big bearing 9", but after I started writing down what I would need to do to get it to fit, I wasn't saving any money at all. By the time you are done making all the compromises you didn't want to make just to get your $75 axle to fit, I would be willing to bet you are pretty near the cost of a rear RockJock D60, which is a far superior axle with no compromises.

Best of luck whatever direction you go though!
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #82
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundlitefan View Post
What are you going to do in front then when you jump to 37's? Gonna be putting a lot of faith in that HP30. Going 5x5.5 might cost you more now, but it leaves more options open for when you upgrade in front.

To be honest I doubt it is even a real issue. If you are getting custom shafts it is just a few bucks more to get them drilled for 5x4.5 AND 5x5.5. Lots of aftermarket chromo axles come with both patterns already drilled that way off the shelf.

Just out of curiosity, if you are looking at all the work and money involved in narrowing and building a rear axle, why are you so dead set against narrowing a D60? You spend roughly the same money, and end up with a stronger axle and better driveline angles. Or even cheaper yet, a 14 bolt. There is bunches of info on shaving and plating them, and they are even cheaper than ford 9's.

Personally, if I were going to attempt to narrow an axle and build a custom rear by myself for a TJ, I would not bother with a 9". It is just too problematic to do well unless you want to go HP, which you don't. And I have much love for ford 9's, since I am running a Currie HP9 in front.

I really thought about it last year, and nearly pulled the trigger on a big bearing 9", but after I started writing down what I would need to do to get it to fit, I wasn't saving any money at all. By the time you are done making all the compromises you didn't want to make just to get your $75 axle to fit, I would be willing to bet you are pretty near the cost of a rear RockJock D60, which is a far superior axle with no compromises.

Best of luck whatever direction you go though!
I would probably run a HP44 in the front at some point for 37"s. Or just super30 the hp30...

I totally understand what you are saying in regards to the D60. I know it would be cheaper. (FWIW, I could run this 9" in it's current condition with 4.10 gears and be bulletproof for 35s for the cost of gears and brackets)

BUT. I like the weight savings of the 9", and being that 37s is seriously the biggest I'd care to go I could be bulletproof on 37s for about $1500 into this axle. Not to mention I will have crazy clearance under the diff.

I always said I wouldn't run a D60 on anything less than 40"s...there is no point in doing otherwise, it's just a pig (14b is even worse)

As far as driveshaft angles go, stretching my wheelbase is no big deal. It was something I was going to do eventually (when I found the nuts to do it) and it isn't like I am in dire need of an axle and a 4" stretch right now...this is going to be a slow build. I'm taking this as an opportunity to learn how to set up gears, shorten axle tubes, weld and fabricate. This is going to be my FIRST attempt at doing something that isn't bolt on. And the 9" just plain suits my needs right now.

I've seen why firsthand why I should run 60s...My girlfriend went bouncing straight up a vertical wall in a YJ juggy on 42" tires. But that isn't where I am trying to go.

Quote:

Tags
ford 9 , 9" , tj , wrangler , swap , installation , half ton

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.