Ford 8.8 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 swap

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-17-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
XJesterX
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Ford 8.8 swap

OK. So my spider gears went from talking to me to yelling very loadly. I need to do something pretty soon or I will be walking one of these days. Has anyone here done the Exploder 8.8 swap into a TJ. 373:1 gears are pretty common in the Exploders, so that is one less thing I have to do right now. I guess what I need to know is if the yoke on the diff needs to be changed out or is it good? Brake lines probably bolt right on. What about the perportioning valve? Does it need changed? What did you use?
Thanks guys
Jester

XJesterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 05:41 AM   #2
kercher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

8.8 swap

there is a great sticky on JU with all the 8.8 info you could want. I would have posted the link but the sight is down again. I think any explorer after 95 has disc brakes so look for that. There is an adapter flange needed for the rear driveshaft.

a lot of great info can be found here too, including a part number for the adapter flange.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/8.8axle/8.8axle-1.htm

I used my brakelines, but my sway bar did not fit. Also, the E-brake cables do not work (at least they would on mine since I went from drum to disc). I think you can get ZJ cables in the years 95-98. I am about to pick some up and try that.

good luck! jim
kercher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

the 8.8 is far from a direct bolt in, you have to cut the old brackets off the 8.8 and weld new ones on (run about $275+)

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #4
AlaskaTRX

Or, if you are lazy like me, you can buy one ready to bolt in from a shop like OK4WD for around $1500.
AlaskaTRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaTRX
Or, if you are lazy like me, you can buy one ready to bolt in from a shop like OK4WD for around $1500.

No thanks I like money.
New Jersey Jeep Association
MuddyJeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just got a 8.8 im planning to swap in over time to replace the 35. gotta get the brackets to weld on, brake lines, e brake lines, if its not new, probably disc brake pads and rotors. Ill be throwing in 4.88s so there goes ring and pinion, and install kit as well as the flange to make it adapt to the TJ.

anyone know a site with exactally where to weld the brackets?
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

also anyone know the angle to which to weld? stu has 15* but he moved his driveline 2 inches or such? is there a standard angle?
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
Unread 09-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
AlaskaTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyJeepZJ
No thanks I like money.
Not everyone has the time, tools, and location to build their own axle.

I like money, too. I am just glad that I make enough of it to be able to enjoy my free time.
AlaskaTRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
flush
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I will be doing mine in a week or two. I will try and take pics.
Unread 09-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #10
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

you piecin together a 8.8?
Unread 09-17-2006, 03:51 PM   #11
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBlu974X4
also anyone know the angle to which to weld? stu has 15* but he moved his driveline 2 inches or such? is there a standard angle?
When you are talking about modified vehicles, I believe the idea of a "standard" anything kind of goes out the window.

Look at it this way.....if you welded them on so they were the same as a stock axle, and then you lifted the vehicle, say 4", they would be off a fair amount. LOTS of TJ owners drive around with a 4" lift sitting on top of a stock axle. Would it be better if their mounts were better positioned for a 4" lift....certainly. Even if you are off a few degrees, it is a LOT better than being set up stock, right?
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #12
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

thanks stu, I have a 3inch suspension currently,and I was wondering exactally where to place the brackets other than looking off the D35, I know its not flush the brackets go on an angle correct? anywhere to know where to place them?
Unread 09-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #13
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you check the write-up on my site? I think you will find it quite helpful. A number of folks have e-mailed me over the years to say it was dead-nuts on for bracket placement.
Unread 09-17-2006, 06:49 PM   #14
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yeah i checked it, so those measurements for the placement are where I should place mine?
Unread 09-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #15
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The write-up tells you how to obtain the measurements for your axle. It also gives a set of measurements that you can use. The choice is yours.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.