Ford 8.8 rear axle swap...mounting info. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 rear axle swap...mounting info.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 11-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Chewie4299
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ford 8.8 rear axle swap...mounting info.

I was initially looking into a Super 35 kit for my rear but after reading some more on the advantages of an 8.8 and the availability of the axle and parts I'm seriously considering going that route instead.

Super 35 = easier

8.8 = stronger, potentially cheaper depending on the axle i find, but is definitely more work.

I don't mind if it takes more work to get done but while I'm not scared of working on most parts of my TJ I don't have any welding experience or access to a welder. I'd have to have someone else weld on the appropriate hardware.

My main question is in regards to the actually brackets needed to put one of these under my Jeep. I plan on 4.56 gears so I will need to regear both my front and any 8.8 I find as it appears the Explorer 8.8 gearing only went as low as 4.10.

As far as the brackets needed... Can I purchase a kit anywhere to mount this. If so how hard is it to actually put in. I don't want to reuse my D35 brackets as I've read that they are rather flimsy compared to other options. Is this something I will NEED to get someone in to weld for me?

Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
BarneyJEEP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

search is your best friend...

lots of welding, you can buy brackets
Unread 11-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here you go....everything you probably needed to know (and maybe more).

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/8.8axle/8.8axle-1.htm
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Chewie
Are you going bigger than the 33's?
Unread 11-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Chewie4299
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've searched. Read a number of threads on it. Just curious if I'd be getting in to deep for my own good with the welding and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
Chewie
Are you going bigger than the 33's?
Most likely not until someday I have another car. That would be years off though.
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
Just curious if I'd be getting in to deep for my own good with the welding and such.
Read the link above....then you will know how much work is involved.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
bddisi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.dominationchassis.com/
This is where I bought my 8.8. There are other sources to buy from. I got the complete ready to bolt in, with 456 gear and disk brakes, for around 1500.00.
Unread 11-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The things that never get enough emphasis about the 8.8.

-It is narrower than a TJ axle. Since you still have stock rims, you need to know that you cannot mount your rims on your new axle even for one day without wheel spacers (or new rims).
-This may not affect you, but us guys with older TJ's end up spending at least an extra $50-75 for ebrake cables.
-Study up on the brake line situation and decide what setup you want to use or you will spend several bucks bending new brake lines.

In your situation I am the one guy around here who would advise against the 8.8 for you. Based on your plans, when you buy the 8.8 all you are going to use is a housing and axle shafts. Take the easy way out, buy a brand new D44 housing ready to bolt into a TJ that is the correct width and use your brakes you currently have.
Unread 11-28-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
Most likely not until someday I have another car. That would be years off though.
stick with the S35 until then.
Unread 11-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #10
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post

-It is narrower than a TJ axle. Since you still have stock rims, you need to know that you cannot mount your rims on your new axle even for one day without wheel spacers (or new rims).
-This may not affect you, but us guys with older TJ's end up spending at least an extra $50-75 for ebrake cables.
-Study up on the brake line situation and decide what setup you want to use or you will spend several bucks bending new brake lines.

In your situation I am the one guy around here who would advise against the 8.8 for you. Based on your plans, when you buy the 8.8 all you are going to use is a housing and axle shafts. Take the easy way out, buy a brand new D44 housing ready to bolt into a TJ that is the correct width and use your brakes you currently have.
considering some of us can find good deals, i have a 8.8 mounted and running for less then $300

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
considering some of us can find good deals, i have a 8.8 mounted and running for less then $300
That's exactly my point, people read posts about a $300 8.8 and think they can save money by doing the same. The guy already said he can't weld and is going to regear it. Even if someone gives him a free 8.8 he is going to have over $1000 in it before he gets it in his jeep.

8.8 rear - free
bracket kit - $300
pay someone to weld - $200
gears, lockers, labor - $500 minimum
Oh, and don't forget spacers for the rear (or buy new rims) - $100

And that doesn't even include the front regear.

I have an 8.8 in my jeep that I "got a deal on", but I don't think the OP has the same situation I had so it wouldn't be a great deal for him.
Unread 11-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

-It is narrower than a TJ axle. Since you still have stock rims, you need to know that you cannot mount your rims on your new axle even for one day without wheel spacers (or new rims)...
I think the reason this is not emphasized is because if you want to run an 8.8, you probably have bigger, wider tires than the stock 9" wide tires.

The OP wants to run 33s, so new wheels or wheel spacers will be necessary for any axle that is TJ width.
Quote:
...Study up on the brake line situation and decide what setup you want to use or you will spend several bucks bending new brake lines...
I don't follow what you are saying. Hard brake lines are cheap and its a pretty easy job. If you mess up, no big deal. Buy another $3 brake line.
Quote:
In your situation I am the one guy around here who would advise against the 8.8 for you. Based on your plans, when you buy the 8.8 all you are going to use is a housing and axle shafts...
Stronger axle shafts for the price of the 8.8 axle assembly seems like a pretty good deal to me considering the typical price for an 8.8 is $300. Getting disk brakes and the other parts is a bonus.

Quote:
...Take the easy way out, buy a brand new D44 housing ready to bolt into a TJ that is the correct width and use your brakes you currently have.
I'm not sure I follow you here either.

You previously said the 8.8 was not a good deal because all the OP would use is the axle shafts and the housing.

How is a TJ D44 housing any better of a deal? Isn't it more expensive, less common, and it comes with fewer parts? (no axle shafts, brakes, etc.)

Quote:
...gears, lockers, labor - $500 minimum
Oh, and don't forget spacers for the rear (or buy new rims) - $100

And that doesn't even include the front regear...
Those are costs that would be incurred with any axle upgrade and 33" tires.

Quote:
...I have an 8.8 in my jeep that I "got a deal on", but I don't think the OP has the same situation I had so it wouldn't be a great deal for him.
Quote:
...In your situation I am the one guy around here who would advise against the 8.8 for you...
I agree with those statements.

The 8.8 starts to lose its "bang for the buck" appeal once you have to start paying for the labor.

I'm not sure I would advise against the 8.8 swap, but I would definitely check out local pricing on welding and the other labor before jumping in to it.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll go against the swap.

Do the S35. It's a big upgrade to the ChroMo 27 spline shafts you could do well with. It's even still an upgrade from the 27 spline c-clip eliminator. The testers for it haven't had a failure on 33's.
The 8.8 with 33's going to drag on everything.
Heres the clearance with 35's. Now take 1" - 1.5" off of that for the 33's. You may as well be riding on stock 28's with that diff clearance. What is stock diff clearance 8" or 9"?
Quote:
Ground clearance;
Measured on 35" tires on a concrete shop floor
axle - under tube - under diff
35 - 14 7/8 - 11 1/4
44 - 14 7/8 - 10 7/8
8.8 - 14 1/2 - 10 1/8
Unread 11-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
97ProjecTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im against this thread completely since theres another 50 out there with the same exact questions and arguments. Researching this website will give you more info then any post you put up.

It took me about two weeks to research and another two weeks to build my 8.8. I paid around 1100 for my 8.8 complete with brand new brakes which worked for me because I plan to run the 4.10's and didnt need new wheels. For your application I would just buy a complete d44 from a company like northridge. Not having access to a welder and the cost of regear isnt worth the extra hassle. The D44 is only slightly weaker then the 8.8 and comes with many advantages like being a direct bolt in. If you do decide to go the route of the 8.8 heres a good tech article on it. Good luck either way.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=674123

My expenses.
8.8 200
8.8 brackets & adaptor 380
8.8 brakes 285
8.8 Welding - 250
97ProjecTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #15
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
The 8.8 with 33's going to drag on everything.
Heres the clearance with 35's. Now take 1" - 1.5" off of that for the 33's. You may as well be riding on stock 28's with that diff clearance. What is stock diff clearance 8" or 9"?
Maybe since I'm off all next week I'll do a little experimenting with this as well.

I measured the clearance difference between an 8.8 and a D44 to be about 1/4", but this was on a different rig with different size tires so there was some adjusting to the numbers to make them comparable.

I trust that your numbers are accurate, but I would still like to verify this due to my previous measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ProjecTJ View Post
... For your application I would just buy a complete d44 from a company like northridge. Not having access to a welder and the cost of regear isnt worth the extra hassle...
It certainly is more convenient to buy a complete D44 from Northridge, but you will pay for that convenience.

I don't think welding or regearing is a deal breaker for the 8.8 swap. I would price the options out and see how they compare. If a built 8.8 ends up being $2,000, the decision is easy. Order the D44 or do a S35. If it ends up being $800 or $1,000, consider it.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.