Ford 8.8 Rear Axle swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 Rear Axle swap

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8 Rear Axle swap

What all is involved in the Ford 8.8 rear Axle swap? I know the obvious which is the brackets of which there is a kit available to weld up. As far as donors, which Ford Vehicle is what I would look for? As far as brakes, wheel lug patterns, and width. Someone please enlighten me. I did a search to no avail!

krazymatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8 Axle Install - 1
The Ford Explorer 8.8-Inch Rear Axles
Ford 8.8 Axle Swap
Jeeps Only: Project 1 - Raptor
Complete Ford 8.8" Rear Axle Assembly Jeep TJ Ready to Bolt In Axle Swap
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymatt View Post
What all is involved in the Ford 8.8 rear Axle swap? I know the obvious which is the brackets of which there is a kit available to weld up. As far as donors, which Ford Vehicle is what I would look for? As far as brakes, wheel lug patterns, and width. Someone please enlighten me. I did a search to no avail!
I'm right in the middle of this swap myself.
The Axles you're looking for are from 1996+ ford explorers because they come with disk brakes.
ABS/Non-ABS axles either one will work.
Wheel lug is the same as jeep (5x4.5) and the width is just slightly narrower at 5/8ths shorter per side.
Things to remember are SYE/CV driveshafts, brake lines and specifically a solution on how to get the e-brake working. There are plenty of writeups and ideas on JF.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
daveg13try2
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Or just buy one from east coast gear that's ready to bolt in.
daveg13try2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg13try2 View Post
Or just buy one from east coast gear that's ready to bolt in.
Thanks, those prices aren't too bad, but the add ons and shipping and it starts to bite but a very good option. Does anyone know anyone who sells this type of setup in the southwest?
Unread 09-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombi View Post
I'm right in the middle of this swap myself.
The Axles you're looking for are from 1996+ ford explorers because they come with disk brakes.
ABS/Non-ABS axles either one will work.
Wheel lug is the same as jeep (5x4.5) and the width is just slightly narrower at 5/8ths shorter per side.
Things to remember are SYE/CV driveshafts, brake lines and specifically a solution on how to get the e-brake working. There are plenty of writeups and ideas on JF.
I'm confused. So you only need to worry about the SYE/CV driveshafts, brake lines, and the e brake setup if you are going with say a junkyard 8.8?--And if I went the East Coast route I wouldn't have to worry about that? Thanks.
Unread 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
daveg13try2
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm confused. So you only need to worry about the SYE/CV driveshafts, brake lines, and the e brake setup if you are going with say a junkyard 8.8?--And if I went the East Coast route I wouldn't have to worry about that? Thanks.
Nope, only thing extra I had to get was adj. upper control arms, to get my pinion perfect for the stock ds. Other than that, unbolted the dead d35 and bolted in the 8.8. Ordered the e brake cables with the axle.
Unread 09-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #8
patricknash1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't heard anything negative about the east coast gear people and actually thought about buying one from them myself, I just ended up doing mine from scratch. Bought a Ford 8.8 from a junkyard with 4.10 gears and lsd for 175.00. Bought the brackets and had them welded on by a local 4x4 shop for around 550, bought new rotors and pads, all total about 825-850 for everything. I also bought adjustable control arms so I was able to easily get my pinion angle dialed in and no vibes with the stock driveshaft and no sye. Overall it took alot of time doing it my way and alot of patience to get everything working right but it's doable. I wouldn't want to do it again though, thats for sure.
patricknash1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 03:58 AM   #9
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh please every single one of these questions and answers is covered by searching. PLEASE stop making new threads about 8.8 swaps.

8.8 doesn't need an SYE virtually any lift height does.
Also... bracket placements depends on lift height and SYE/no sye.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
daveg13try2
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknash1 View Post
I haven't heard anything negative about the east coast gear people and actually thought about buying one from them myself, I just ended up doing mine from scratch. Bought a Ford 8.8 from a junkyard with 4.10 gears and lsd for 175.00. Bought the brackets and had them welded on by a local 4x4 shop for around 550, bought new rotors and pads, all total about 825-850 for everything. I also bought adjustable control arms so I was able to easily get my pinion angle dialed in and no vibes with the stock driveshaft and no sye. Overall it took alot of time doing it my way and alot of patience to get everything working right but it's doable. I wouldn't want to do it again though, thats for sure.
Yeah, it's hard to beat the ECG deal. For $500 dollars more you get all the work done, all new bearings, rebuilt lsd, and all new brakes. I ordered mine on a Sunday and had it delivered on Friday of that week.
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Oh please every single one of these questions and answers is covered by searching. PLEASE stop making new threads about 8.8 swaps.

8.8 doesn't need an SYE virtually any lift height does.
Also... bracket placements depends on lift height and SYE/no sye.
Please stay out of my post with the rude comment. I tried 3 attempts at search to no avail. Perhaps YOU should fix the search function on this website. It's actually the worst search function I've found on any forum. I thought this forum was about jeepers helping jeepers and not "Use the search funtion!" JERK!
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg13try2 View Post
Yeah, it's hard to beat the ECG deal. For $500 dollars more you get all the work done, all new bearings, rebuilt lsd, and all new brakes. I ordered mine on a Sunday and had it delivered on Friday of that week.
Yeah plus I'm sure it's tougher than the stock D35's huh? Thanks..
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
PITBULL1967
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Please stay out of my post with the rude comment. I tried 3 attempts at search to no avail. Perhaps YOU should fix the search function on this website. It's actually the worst search function I've found on any forum. I thought this forum was about jeepers helping jeepers and not "Use the search funtion!" JERK!
VERY TRUE! Every thread I've ever posted i've had someone go on there and say "use the search" like its SO annoying to them. The search should be specific to what jeep you searching for. If im looking for TJ stuff it shouldn't pull up all ZJ stuff...

"Workers of the world UNITE! All you have to loose is your chains." Karl Marx.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
Thomas Jefferson.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson.
PITBULL1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
daveg13try2
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah plus I'm sure it's tougher than the stock D35's huh? Thanks..
The 8.8 is stronger than the d44.
Unread 09-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I recently purchased a HPD30 and Ford 8.8 with Nitro 4.88s from East Coast Gear Supply. Axles were at my door within 5 days of ordering them. Axles exceeded my expectations. The guys at ECG were great and answered all my questions. I got both axles shipped ready to go for about $2,200. I did not get lockers and did just the basics, and I am 100% satisfied with the work and craftsmanship of the welds and products they use.

The E-Brake cables hooked up without an issue. And I opted for the used pads and rotors and they still have a ton of meat left.

I installed the axles in my driveway with simple hand tools and a 1/2" Impact gun.

I also kept my stock drive shaft and uppers for now, but plan on doing the SYE combo sometime soon.

I highly recommend getting a price from ECG. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Some pics for the people.
img_2156.jpg   img_2159.jpg   img_2188.jpg   img_2190.jpg   img_2192.jpg  

2003X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.