Ford 8.8/HP30 swap and regear - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8/HP30 swap and regear

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #31
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

More parts ordered and updated spreadsheet.

Solid diff cover ordered, some break parts ordered, freeze plug, and flange adapter.

All thats left for the 8.8 is the rotors, pads, and shoes. Then it's just the HPD30, gears, and install kit. Still not sure when I'll be picking up the HP30, but I'll probably make the final order with ECGS next week for the rest of the parts.

Almost there!

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #32
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I left it where it was, I cut a small bit of the truss off so it would fit.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #33
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Main truss is tacked on, coil buckets tacked on. Parts are rolling in, not quite quick enough though. Rotors, pads, and parking brake shoes aren't going to be here until next Monday along with new 5-760 wheel joints, ball joints, and inner axle seals. I was hoping to get the 8.8 in this next weekend as I have the 4th off and can do some welding, but without brake parts that can't happen. Monday and Tuesday I'm gone to CU orientation so I need the Jeep drivable.

Anyway here are some pictures.

Here's an up close of the spring perch.

The larger circular plate bolts down to the perch to act as a spring retainer. You have to either weld the nut or bolt to the bottom side of the smaller circular plate. I welded the nut to the bottom so I could use different sized bolts and make it easier to make up some bumpstops.

Here's the welder, this thing has zero problems with the big stuff.

Soft brake lines

Grand Cherokee parking brake cables

Centric Calipers

And Spicer adapter

This also arrived in the middle of me typing this up. I like that they threw in some RTV.

Unread 07-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #34
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got the rest of the brackets tacked on and some final welding done. I won't burn in the control arm mounts and shock mounts until I get a chance to put it under the Jeep and double check fitment.

The shock mounts are suppose to be at 61* but I modified that to about 55*. This will give a little more clearance between the shocks and spring perch. Slightly better clearance too. Eventually I'll outboard to solve that problem all together.

Unread 07-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #35
fsjeep13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work... I just bought my Artec today. This thread is very helpful.
Unread 07-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #36
f18wrangler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

what are you going to do about the UCA bolt size?The holes on my artec truss were smaller than the ones i pulled off of my d35. I didnt realize till i was stuffing it under the jeep
f18wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #37
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by f18wrangler
what are you going to do about the UCA bolt size?The holes on my artec truss were smaller than the ones i pulled off of my d35. I didnt realize till i was stuffing it under the jeep
A drill? Or reamer if you want to get real close

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #38
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I noticed my control arm bolt holes were a bit small, I would have drilled them out if I weren't using a 3 link upper.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 07-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #39
f18wrangler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yea i just drilled mine out.....but i figured id bring it to his attention and not be surprised like i was lol
f18wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #40
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm, looks like your right. I just went and measured the hole and it's about 9.5mm. According to my parts catalog the upper control arm bolts are 10mm. Looks like I'm going to have to find a 10mm or 25/64" bit.

Unread 07-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #41
f18wrangler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A tad bit easier to deal with when it's not in the jeep lol
Unread 07-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #42
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just realized the issue with the breather, I never put on the drivers side uca mount or track bar mount, went to check it out in case my 3link uca didn't work with this set up... Ahhhh hahhh!!! Looking back over the pics, I didn't see where you relocated it to. Do you have pics of that, I'm thinking about burning in the mounts anyway, so I will have to relocate it.

Unread 07-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #43
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
I just realized the issue with the breather, I never put on the drivers side uca mount or track bar mount, went to check it out in case my 3link uca didn't work with this set up... Ahhhh hahhh!!! Looking back over the pics, I didn't see where you relocated it to. Do you have pics of that, I'm thinking about burning in the mounts anyway, so I will have to relocate it.
I haven't relocated it yet, all I've done is close the hole up. If figured out the same thing, when I test fit the upper mount and track bar mount there's no way it would work. I found a random bolt that was a tad smaller, stuck it in the hole, tack welded it, cut what was sticking out off, and filled in the edges. Next time I have the axle out I'll take a picture. I'll just drill and tap a new place somewhere on the tube.

Yesterday I went and picked up the HP30 and that afternoon I placed my final order with ECGS. Unfortunately I couldn't find one with 3.73 so I had to also order a new carrier.

Today I got as far as I could on the HP30 as I don't have the correct socket sizes for the pinion nut and ball joints. I didn't get an axle with both shafts as virtually every XJ at the junkyard has a missing long side shaft. I had to really beat the hell out of the short side to get the shaft/unit bearing off.

Here's the obligatory size difference shot, 8.8 obviously on the left and HP30 on the right.

I found the axle with the diff cover missing, it looked like it had been gone a while. The inside has quite a bit of dirt in it.

My parents will appreciate when I'm done and not taking up so much space in the garage.

Tomorrow and Tuesday I'm gone for CU orientation so, but I hope to get some more welding on the 8.8 done later in the week. This weekend the 8.8 should go in and the HP30 will follow suit the following weekend.

Unread 07-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #44
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work. I would suggest replacing or adding some plate to the lower control mount on the D30. Mine didnt work out so well with rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #45
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinitous View Post
Nice work. I would suggest replacing or adding some plate to the lower control mount on the D30. Mine didnt work out so well with rocks.
I was looking at the currie ones but I think I'll save the money and make my own since I have so much scrap metal laying around. I figured I could use the oxyacetylene to make the necessary bends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.