I think I'm calling it good on the gears. I decided to move onto getting the brackets off, which I've been absolutely dreading. So I got the grinder out, found a cutting disc, got situated, and started cutting. 15 minutes in and I've accomplished basically nothing. Oh, it's also over 100 degrees out and I'm wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Screw that.
I went inside and said to my dad "I want to get the oxy-acetylene out.".
"...Okay. It's been a long time since I've cut so I don't really remember. Go get the welding book out, use the internet, whatever you want and figure it out."
An hour later, after plenty of reading I went and rolled the tanks and and got going. Went pretty well, on the practice piece. I was actually able to make some really clean cuts.
So I took a deep breath and headed over to the axle. First cut went okay. Second cut not great. On the second cut I was trying to cut where I had already started with the grinder. Because of this I was having trouble, but a little help with the grinder and a hammer, it came off.
Still have some work to do cleaning it up, but it's off. I'll do the other 3 tomorrow. Not sure using the torch is that much faster since I've never used it before, but it's a hell of a lot more fun.