Ford 8.8/HP30 swap and regear - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8/HP30 swap and regear

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 06-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think the drive on this looks better.

Pinion- .029"

Backlash- .012"

Drive

Coast

Also this:

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know a lot about gears but that pattern looks pretty good to me! I'm also digging the Artec truss and braacket kit as well!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think I'm calling it good on the gears. I decided to move onto getting the brackets off, which I've been absolutely dreading. So I got the grinder out, found a cutting disc, got situated, and started cutting. 15 minutes in and I've accomplished basically nothing. Oh, it's also over 100 degrees out and I'm wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Screw that.

I went inside and said to my dad "I want to get the oxy-acetylene out.".

"...Okay. It's been a long time since I've cut so I don't really remember. Go get the welding book out, use the internet, whatever you want and figure it out."

An hour later, after plenty of reading I went and rolled the tanks and and got going. Went pretty well, on the practice piece. I was actually able to make some really clean cuts.

So I took a deep breath and headed over to the axle. First cut went okay. Second cut not great. On the second cut I was trying to cut where I had already started with the grinder. Because of this I was having trouble, but a little help with the grinder and a hammer, it came off.

Still have some work to do cleaning it up, but it's off. I'll do the other 3 tomorrow. Not sure using the torch is that much faster since I've never used it before, but it's a hell of a lot more fun.

Unread 06-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #19
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A grinder with a cut off wheel is easy, just hold it where you want the cut and put the disc to the metal
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, when I cut mine off I used a plasma cutter and that was nice, but ended up grinding forever cause I cut to far from the tube.

My advice is get as close as you can or bust out the cutoff disc before the flap wheel

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
gtimms

Freaking awsome thread, dont know how I missed it. I'm thinking I wat to do my swap in the Fall. I've been hesistant to do it since I have had no idea what to do with the brakes & getting the tracbar and all set up right. Hes mine right now: http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...m/88newest.jpg
gtimms is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I used a grinder and cut off wheels... Started by going at the welds, but they were pretty good welds! So I cut as close as I could, then flap disc'ed it smooth!!! Took a couple hours.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brplatz View Post
Looks good, when I cut mine off I used a plasma cutter and that was nice, but ended up grinding forever cause I cut to far from the tube.

My advice is get as close as you can or bust out the cutoff disc before the flap wheel
Yeah the first one I def cut to far away from the tube. The rest I'll try to cut much closer. Using that torch is a little nerve racking at first.

Unread 06-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #24
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Yeah the first one I def cut to far away from the tube. The rest I'll try to cut much closer. Using that torch is a little nerve racking at first.
Forget the torch! Section the brackets with a sawsall so that you're only dealing with one "plane“. Cut the weld close to the tube with a cutter wheel to weaken the weld and then bend the bracket off with a big crescent wrench.
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #25
Drastiq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man, great swap so far. I bought the same artec truss as you, I did not regear mine though I only have 4.10's

Setting mine up

Partially welded

Definitely a great purchase, though its like a puzzle haha..
Currie, Poison Spyder, OME, Cragar, Smittybilt, Precision, Rustys, Teraflex[/SIZE][/CENTER]
-
[B]SOLD[/B] 1994 YJ, OD Green. 4" RC. 2" BL. 2" SL. 1" MML 35" MTZ.
[B]SOLD[/B] 1998 TJ, Red, Stock, 161k, 5sp, 6cyl.
Drastiq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #26
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
Forget the torch! Section the brackets with a sawsall so that you're only dealing with one "plane“. Cut the weld close to the tube with a cutter wheel to weaken the weld and then bend the bracket off with a big crescent wrench.
That's easier said than done. The welds on the 8.8 aren't wimpy half *** welds like some factory axles. The leaf perches are 1/4" and the sway bar brackets are 3/16".

Unread 06-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #27
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Whew, finally finished getting the brackets off this morning. Took less than 10 min to cut them off but took a lot of grinding to smooth it out. I then loosely put the truss together and set it on the axle to see how it looked. I discovered a good friend who lived in the neighborhood has a 220v mig welder and he said I could use it any time. I'm going to get it this week so I can practice then this next weekend tack the truss on. I figured I'd rather use a mig welder than trying to mess with the stick welder.

Unread 06-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Lookn good!
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #29
gtimms

What are you doing with your vent tube? Some people say leave it where it is, others say move it to the housing, some say it will puke out if you put it there? Does the Axle kit prevent you from using the factory location? Sorry, just trying to figure out what I'm going to do!
gtimms is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #30
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimms
What are you doing with your vent tube? Some people say leave it where it is, others say move it to the housing, some say it will puke out if you put it there? Does the Axle kit prevent you from using the factory location? Sorry, just trying to figure out what I'm going to do!
It looks like I might have to relocate it because of the truss. When I did my test fit it was covered up, but that was using a totally random pinion angle. It might not be covered up depending on the pinion angle I choose. If I have to relocate it I'll just drill and tap a new spot on the axle tube and use vent/brake junction box off the d35.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.