Ford 8.8 carrier weak link?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 carrier weak link?!?!

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8 carrier weak link?!?!

Hey, I have a Ford 8.8 LSD that I'm swapping on my 02 TJ. My mechanic has everything apart and discovered that the carrier bearing has worked itself loose and has grooved the inside of the carrier and was causing some slack. He checked around with another 4x4 mechanic and was told that he could drive a pin to tighten the bearing up but no guarantees how long it would hold. Not sure if I'm describing this well but my question is would I be better off replacing the carrier?

If so, I have no clue which one to go with as I don't want a fully locked because I will be using it as a dd. Thanks for any advice.

dkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

how about a selectable? arb or ox, even though youve doubled the price of your build now, im sure youll want one later if youre putting an 8.8 in

The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure what you mechanic is trying to do with the "pin" but from the sounds of things I'd be replacing the carrier.

What was the reason you mechanic was inside the differential? Regear?
Unread 12-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes the carrier is the weak link if your using your rig hard off road, from what you described I would get a new carrier and not take the chance of a half *** fix. In fact I am kinda confused with the whole "pin" thing myself, seems in this case a new carrier should be ordered and put in to make sure nothing happens.

I see you said you dont wanna be fully locked as it is a DD, however, as an 8.8 owner who lives in NJ I am VERY happy with my Detroit, hasnt been bad in the snow or rain and you dont even notice its there until your making a tight turn in a parking lot, plus it eliminates the weak point just something to think about, good luck!

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I'm not sure what you mechanic is trying to do with the "pin" but from the sounds of things I'd be replacing the carrier.

What was the reason you mechanic was inside the differential? Regear?
Well, it started with having to remove the axle shafts to put new backing plates on (the things that hold the drum emergency brakes), then I asked him to go ahead and replace the axle bearings and check it all out. While he was taking it down, he noticed that things weren't tight where they should be...I can't recall specifically what wasn't right. Upon further inspection he discovered the bearing problem.

I don't know anything about lockers and I'm only going to be offroad 10 to 15% of the time. I may just go with another limited slip carrier, the lockers are pricey and I've already dumped a ton into this axle swap.
Unread 12-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking about going with an Eaton E lock. Since I am not a hard core off roader and I really don't want to go through the trouble of getting an air compressor and all the plumbing. Anyone running one on a 8.8 that has any feedback?
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wheeling98tj has had one in his 8.8 for a few years without any issues, however, I have not had any first hand experience. I would really consider your options here, if you dont wheel to much and the types of wheeling you do don't need a locker perhaps a lsd would be in your best interest for $$ atm.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

As for your locker, I have no clue what to tell you. Mine is a DD and I have a Detroit in my 8.8 and don't notice it being there at all.

But definitely replace the carrier if you decide to stay with the LSD. I've heard the LSD's can be rebuilt to "lock up" better than stock to help you out off road but not sacrifice much on road.
PSC full corners and modded 3" flares
4.56s, Aussie front and Detroit rear
Building a HP30...
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
Twizted
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I bought an 8.8 after breaking my d35 about a year ago. I put on 35's and 2 days later I did a hard launch on pavement. It grenaded the gears, ring and pinion and spiders. I was confused and asked around on the mustang forums, a very nice and knowledgable member informed me that the weak link in an 8.8 was the stock carrier, it flexed under high torque situations and can cause what I did. He said it's common on mustangs producing over 600hp. He asked what motor I was running and was amused when I stated a stock 4.0 I6 in a Wrangler. I then clarifed the 35's and he learned from me almost as much as I learned from him. . That being said I went with a Detroit Tru-track F/R and regeared to 4.56's while it was apart. No more problems with hard launches! Tru-track is great too, very strong limited slip and every time I do tight turns in a parking lot the tires chirp, it locks up great and totally changed the obsticles and trails I can do. I would definately change out that carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
After all, I are educted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Rocks
Beer makes the world go round. (thats why it leans a little when it rotates)
Twizted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
CaleTJ99
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have the LSD in my 8.8 and on trails if i give it enough torque i can get both tires spinning. One day i'd like to put an e locker in it but for now it being my DD the LSD works great. Go to a junk yard pull a new one you'll be good to go
and never monday we all know you invented 4 wheel drive, and you cold forged the S35 in the depths of moridor, but this is 44 vs 88. so when the next 35 thread comes up. you can play for that team:kiss:
CaleTJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
Twizted
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just to clarify and add more info, the 8.8 I bought was a LSD w/ 3.73's. Now it was out of a junkyard and we just changed the fluid so not sure the condition of everything but the stock carrier did flex and toasted everything inside except the shafts. It was very awkward putting it in gear and letting out the clutch with no results but the rpms rising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
After all, I are educted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Rocks
Beer makes the world go round. (thats why it leans a little when it rotates)
Twizted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:53 AM   #12
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's a good thing your guy opened it up. I can't find the reference now but seems like one of the sources I reviewed when researching the 8.8 axle said the carrier for the open 8.8 is quite a bit stronger than the one used with the LSD.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.