Ford 8.8 backing plate--removal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 backing plate--removal?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8 backing plate--removal?

I'm in the middle of my 8.8 swap and have new disk backing plates with the drum brake components built on that I ordered from Currie. Now my question is, how do I take off the old backing plates? I've searched but couldn't find the answer. Thanks.

dkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

remove all of the drum brake stuff and unbolt the backing plate. youll have to have the axles removed to get them off though unless you cut them. but youll have to have them removed to install the new stuff anyway.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a write up on axle removal?
dkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Axle is simple.
Just pop the diff cover.
remove the cross pin retaining bolt.
Remove cross pin.
push in on the axle shafts at the lug area. Spin a little. Then look in the diff and remove the C clips.
Once they are removed pull axle out.
If your explorer axle had disk brakes there will be a smaller set of drum brakes.
To remove those take the little clips off the pointy metal spears(they look like spears to me).
Then the bottom spring and adjuster.
Then pry the shoes off. Those top 2 springs are a pain, I just left them on and removed them as a
set.

The backing plate is held on with 4 bolts that are simple once all the stuff is out of way.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.