Ford 4.6L vs 5.0L V8 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 4.6L vs 5.0L V8 swap

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
spiderman637
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ford 4.6L vs 5.0L V8 swap

After doing numerous little things to my 4.0L I have decided that it is time to stop playing with an engine that was never intended to be a performance engine and swap something else in with a few more cylinders and a lot more potential. I am really interested in swapping in a newer modular Ford V8, but haven't been able to find any info on a swap. I know I can get an adapter to bolt a 5.0L to my AX15, but I think the 4.6L would be a more efficient motor and is probably lighter as well. Of course, the 4.6L Jeep stroker is another option, but as odd as it sounds I think the V8 would get better mileage due to A) it not having to work as hard and B) it being a newer more efficient engine. I am currently running 4.56 gears with 35" BFG All Terrains and the 4.0L has a header, full exhaust, TB spacer, MSD 6AL, Super Conductor wires and Blaster 3 coil and Bosch Platinum +4's.

Unread 12-24-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
tjthorson
2014 JK Wrangler 

JMO, but I'll let you in on a little secret. The Jeep itself was never intended to be a performance vehicle either, let alone the 4.0.

With your 35's - why not just go 4.88 or 5.13s and call it a day. Take the extra money you saved on the swap and you can pick up a nice Mustang to beat on the track with.
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #50
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Gecko Green (Wife's DD)
Gecko Green Jeep Club Member #1
2005 Yellow Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
My Band! -> http://www.forgethannah.com
http://www.toddsplace.com
tjthorson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

One advantage of the older Mustang 5.0 engine swap is that it is flat out easy. I don't think you have any emissions inspection issues in TN, so the older (pre-92) engine shouldn't cause you any trouble. I LOVE injected 302s, but quite frankly they aren't that strong of an engine. They are light, easy to cool, and have a world of aftermarket support. With a pair of shorty headers and some Flowmaster mufflers a Mustang 5.0 is one of the sexiest sounding stock engines of all time.

The 4.6 Fords are less commonly swapped than the Gen III GM stuff nowadays so there is a bit less aftermarket support for it. I believe the overall width of the modular Ford engines make them less attractive. If you need an OBDII era EFI, I would look at GM instead of Ford. (I can't believe I just said that, ugh, Garbage Motors......)

I wouldn't count out a stroker Jeep inline 6. The overall cost start to finish would probably be less, all your accessories and gauges will work, and the HP/TQ numbers are definitely in the small V8 category. Add in the "stealth factor" and it seems like a good choice.
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
bruker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I might be wrong but from what I read on some Mustang forums I believe the 4.6 is actually a bit larger (in size not displacement) than the 5.0.
Unread 12-24-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjthorson
JMO, but I'll let you in on a little secret. The Jeep itself was never intended to be a performance vehicle either, let alone the 4.0.

With your 35's - why not just go 4.88 or 5.13s and call it a day. Take the extra money you saved on the swap and you can pick up a nice Mustang to beat on the track with.
Regearing from 4.56 to 4.88 is not worth the time and cost.

Regearing to 5.13 would require a front axle swap.

What Jeeps are intended to be is irrelevant. We modify them as we see fit.

Would you tell someone who is asking about swapping out their stock street tires to go buy a 4 wheeler that already has aggressive tires on it?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
hoseclamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I considered a motor swap,kept it stealth with a stroker in case emissions or registration play a part one day.

I'd look for a alum block GM 6.0L light duty truck motor from a wrecker, cheap and plentiful. With headers, intake, exhaust, 340 flywheel and over 400lbs torque would be reasonable, and thanks to advance adapters it will bolt in with some of their parts list.

One day I'll do an auto tranny and a big block, a Brute kit, but not yet. Can't do everything at once..........

JEEPS ARE NOT CARS, STOP CALLING YOUR JEEP A CAR!!!!!!!!
hoseclamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

You're biggest issue with going with the 4.6 V-8 is the width of the motor. With DOHC's that sucker has a wide and large cylinder head assembly, which might not clear the inner fender's of your Jeep.

Also, you are wanting more power, and let's face it, Ford has never really been able to get any decent numbers out of the 4.6 unless they've put a blower on it. Hell, to this day, even the 4.6 in the new Mustang puts down less power to the wheels then the first iteration of the GM LS1, which is damn near 10 years old now.

If you want a Ford motor, go with the 302, or better yet, yank a 351 Windsor out of a Fullsize Bronco (5.8 V-8) and toss that in. They respond very well to modifications and are the same size dimensionally as the 302, but give you more of the low end grunt you want off road.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
You're biggest issue with going with the 4.6 V-8 is the width of the motor. With DOHC's that sucker has a wide and large cylinder head assembly, which might not clear the inner fender's of your Jeep..
It looks close but it should fit.
The overall width of my 06 Mustang engine bay between the shock towers is 35", but the engine doesn't even fill it. The two tabs in the picture are 30" apart, and the 4.6 is a couple inches less than that. The width of my TJ engine bay is 30". Snug fit but should be doable. Headers is another story.

I personally would do a small block Chevy. If budget allows, check out the ZZ383 - put fuel injection on it and it would be an awesome jeep motor! Best bang for the buck crate motor would be the RamJet 350.
4.6enginebay.jpg  
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
slo9fo5oh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Coming from a mustang builder, I would put a small block FORD in any day. As a matter of fact in the future, I will. Naturally it will be a stroker. 331+ of good ole push rod power. The SOHC 4.6's are kinda wide but not as wide as the 3 valve in the pic above. You can buy an intake to carb the OHC motor, I beleive Edelbrok carries it now. But as mentioned above, the "stock" 302 didnt have alot of HP, but it did pretty decent on the trq. but a new H/C/I combo will net you over 300 easy on a stock bottom end.
slo9fo5oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
Lawdodge
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Just throwing in my two cents here. Have you looked into a 5.7L Hemi swap? There are a few guys around here that have done it. The motor only weighs 55 pounds more than the 4.0L so you don't need to do anything to your front end to support it. I know of a few shops that sell pre-fab exhaust and radiators for the swap. I found a few Hemi's on Ebay with the 5 speed auto trans and full wiring for around 2500 or so. I don't remember the magazine that did the story, but one of the fourwheeler mags did the Hemi swap in the "Teal-J" jeep. They have a 5 or so page write up on it and photos of the swap. You can even send your factory under the hood wiring in and have it "rebuilt" to plug right in to the new motor with factory conections.
Most of the people that I know that have done the swap, swear by it.

Here is the link to the Fourwheeler write up on the Hemi TJ.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbu...wap/index.html

Mine - 2004 Unlimited Red 5.7L HEMI, NV241 4:1, RE 5.5" Long Arm, 35's on Champion Beadlocks, MetalCloak fenders and front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, 4.88's, ARB's, Alloy 33 spline D44 shafts, HP44 hybrid front w/ WJ outers, D44 rear ... and to much more .
RED JEEP CLUB #436
Lawdodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
slo9fo5oh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE[/URL]

[/QUOTE]

That just looks like it should have been a factory option, imagine that in a Rubi!!!!
slo9fo5oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
spiderman637
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! That's a lot of input for less than a day's time since I posted. Thanks everyone for your advice and here's what I'm thinking. First off, I'd love to do the Hemi swap and I read the article on Teal-J, but I think that's a little out of my price range. Second and I know this will get a lot of hate, but I just can't stomach the idea of a SBC in any of my vehicles. I have a '95 4.6L in a Thunderbird (I also have PI heads and Intake for it to bump it up to about 260hp) so I guess measuring for the engine bays would be a good idea. I thought about a 5.4L or also a 5.8L, but the 5.8L at least, is about 100lbs heavier and I can get the same power out of a 347 stroker. Another advantage of the 4.6L, if it will fit is that the explorers have aluminum blocks, which would make them lighter still. As far as regearing again, I really don't want to go any taller because my first gear is already close to a granny gear and my rpms are pretty high on the hwy. Right now it's looking like the 302 would be the way to go. Cheap easy power, efi and according to what you guys are telling me, it'll fit better, too. I'll keep everybody posted on any developments and thanks again for your input!
Unread 12-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #13
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you really go the 5.0 route make sure you get a HO stang version. THe regular 5.0 with single exh was only rated @ 155-160HP and 245-260TQ.
They are great little big bvore engines that will fit where other V8s only wish they could.
The 4.6 engines have a power band that is at a higher rpm and not so great for 4x4s combine that with the fact they are MUCH wider than 5.0 V8.

If mine I go with a big vlave, different cam, and a stroker crank for the same power as a 5.0 with the reliability of a inline Six.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not a fan of the Hemi (other than it's cool to say I got a Hemi in there) because it makes poor low end power, and is the biggest gas hog on the road today.

They have their uses though...
hemigrill.jpg   hemitrike.jpg  
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #15
Zice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

what do the 4.6 strokers sound like? Like a 4.0?

I would absolutely get a rise in my pants if I could make my jeep sound like a 4.6 or 5.0 stang without dropping one of those motors in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.