Follow-up OBD System Test Failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Follow-up OBD System Test Failure

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 01-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
KCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Follow-up OBD System Test Failure

Hi folks,

On 1-16-2010 I posted a question about the MIL light test indicating the OBD system is not ready for testing.

Got a few helpful replies and have since gotten some new information that I want to share with those of us still fighting the electronincs on our TJs/LJs.

The operation addressed in the Service Bulletin I referenced in my original post, TSB number 18-028-06, has been performed, and the #2 O2 sensor has been replaced; now the P2098 code is no longer present. I had the service advisor at the local Jeep dealer scan for codes, and he confirmed the code was no longer present.

I again told him about the failure of the OBD system to test ready (as I described in my original post), and he did some research looking for a TSB that might address the problem. He found the following Service Bulletin:

Number 25-001-07. Group: Emissions. Date: February 09, 2007.

I'll quote from the first page of the Bulletin:

"Subject: I/M Readiness Check Continues to Indicate OBD System Is Not Ready for I/M Testing.
Overview: This bulletin involves modifying wiring in the Power Distribution Center (PDC).
Models: 2005 - 2006 (TJ) Wrangler
Note: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 2.4L or 4.0L engine (sales code ED1 or ERH respectively).
Symptom/Condition: Vehicle On Board Diagnostics (OBD) system will not indicate readiness for I/M emissions testing. (See 'Emissions Inspection and Maintenance Programs' in section 7 of the Wrangler owner's manual to determine if vehicle is ready for I/M testing.)
Diagnosis: After turning the igniton key to the ON position without cranking the engine, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) should remain illuminated solid. If the MIL flashes for 10 seconds approximately 15 seconds after turning the key to the ON position (without cranking the engine) and then returns to solid illumination, the vehicle is not ready for I/M testing. Perform the Repair Procedure."

The bulletin then goes on to list parts and tools required.

I had the dealer perform the service. Thus far the "I/M Readiness Check Continues to Indicate OBD System Is Not Ready for I/M Testing." The final steps in the repair procedure says that if the vehicle is still not ready for I/M emissions testing, "The vehicle will require further drive cycles. If this condition persists after several days of further drive cycles, then additional diagnosis may be required".

I have not driven the Jeep more than the few miles back from the dealer so far, and the OBD system still tests faulty. When I have put a number of more "drive cycles" on the Jeep, I'll post again to let you know if the light then tests normally.

Hope this helps anyone having this problem.

Oh, and by the way, one of the replies I got from my original post referenced a Service Bulletin number 18-026-06. I mentioned this Service Bulletin to the service advisor, and when he pulled it up he found it did not apply to the TJ. Think he said it applied to Voyager or Caravan. Dodge minivan.

KCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
_RT_

Any updates on this?

'79 CJ-5 - 304 V-8
'03 TJ Freedom - a little smaller
_RT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Grand Wrangler

Mine's doing this now. Had my emissions test a month ago and it was fine. It's not giving any codes via the on-off key procedure. (2006 w/ 13K miles)
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
KCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Follow-up to the Follow-up/OBD/MIL Test Fault

Howdy,

Check my post titled Follow-up to the Follow-up/OBD/MIL Test Fault.

It basically says it took quite a few drive cycles to reset the computer after the service Bulletin was performed. Have had no problems since.

KCC
'05 LJ
KCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
servozn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine would not post ready until I put the airbag fuses back in. It took me a looong time to figure that one out because I have had the fuses out for a year or so to let my kids ride in the front.
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
GregCST

I have a 2005 Wrangler, same problem... Took it in today and they said there is a recall on the O2 sensor for that year, and there is a computer update for this problem. They said the recall did not show up until my dealer did some research on why the O2 sensor would not reset and keeps showing not ready. They are doing the computer upgrade now.. Hopefully this fixes the problem.
GregCST is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.