Foil-like heat shield on top of intake manifold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Foil-like heat shield on top of intake manifold

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
clintm91
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Foil-like heat shield on top of intake manifold

Upon removing the intake and exhaust manifolds a few weeks ago to install a Banks header system on my 2004 TJ 4.0, the foil-like heat shield that sits on top of the intake manifold disintegrated in my hands. The insulation between the two foil layers just fell apart. I thought: "no problem...I'll just get a new shield from my friendly Jeep dealer and install it after I finish the job." Wrong!
My dealer's parts dept. did not seem at all familiar with the part and could find no picture of it in their parts catalog. They ordered something for me they thought could be it--part #53013669AA. After several weeks, the part arrived two days ago. It was indeed a foil heat shield looking something like the one I took off, but it was way too short for the 4.0 engine. Does anyone know the part I'm talking about? If so, please tell me the correct part #. It appears this may not have been a part that was used on all TJ's...something of a mystery. Thanks in advance for your help.

clintm91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Since I put on my first set of Banks headers I did away with it completely! I have since put in a stroker over 2 years ago and I still run without it, with no problems what so ever!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure of the part number but I believe you may be talking about a recall add-on part. My Jeep was recalled because they were getting leaves stuck under the manifold and catching fire. They installed a tin-foil looking heat shield to keep leaves out of there.

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
219Jeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's a recall part, just as listed above. Mine was recalled for it also.
219Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
472cid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so was our grandcherokee and put on said part
1997 Jeep Wrangler 5.0 ho gt40p motor w/ e303 cam, ax15 trans. 241j rock trac transfer case from 05 rubicon. 05 front rubicon 44 with yukon chromoly shafts and rear rubicon dana 44 and rubicon rims with 33x11.50x16 mtrs
472cid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx531 View Post
I'm not sure of the part number but I believe you may be talking about a recall add-on part. My Jeep was recalled because they were getting leaves stuck under the manifold and catching fire. They installed a tin-foil looking heat shield to keep leaves out of there.
I bought my 02 brand new and it came with that foil shield on it. I never got a recall on it? Wonder why some would have had it and some not? Probably went with when it rolled off the assembly line? I have also checked the site for Jeep recalls and there wasn't one recall for anything on my Jeep, for the year and model?
Unread 01-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
I bought my 02 brand new and it came with that foil shield on it. I never got a recall on it? Wonder why some would have had it and some not? Probably went with when it rolled off the assembly line? I have also checked the site for Jeep recalls and there wasn't one recall for anything on my Jeep, for the year and model?
Recall Date:
APR 08, 2002

Model Affected:
2002 JEEP WRANGLER

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L ENGINE ONLY, THE DESIGN OF THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST MANIFOLDS COULD ALLOW DEBRIS TO ACCUMULATE AT THE #3 CYLINDER LOCATION.

Consequence:
THIS COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A MANIFOLD SHIELD TO MODIFY THE AIR FLOW CHARACTERISTICS AND TO PREVENT THE ACCUMULATION OF DEBRIS IN THE AREA OF THE #3 CYLINDER. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MAY 13, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION B06

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

HUH... well now I see it's true but I never was able to see any recalls on my own?Anyway It's been off for years and no problem.I can actually say though when it was on, it collected more crap.Besides stroker looks better without it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.