Foglamp switch connector - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Foglamp switch connector

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Foglamp switch connector

Hi,

I'm looking to install a set of driving/off road lamps on my TJ and for a clean look I planned on using a stock foglamp switch out of an early TJ or later XJ that fits in the empty switch blank in my center stack. My question is: Where can I obtain the connector with a few inches of the wiring that plugs into the stock switch cheaply? I've seen some connectors on Ebay (I think it was from Jeepsareus), but they were over $70. Not many junkyards like customers to cut up a perfectly good wiring harness, so they charge accordingly.

Alternately, will standard connectors perhaps fit into the back of the stock switch and make my life easier? I don't have one of these switches to examine it and make a determination myself.

Thanks!
Chris
'02 Sahara

TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
bfr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

you could do what I did herehttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/55w-reverse-lamps-229824/
obviously you won't need to tie into the reverse circuit but the rest should help.
Unread 01-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #3
Hobbie

I did the exact same thing you're looking at doing. What I found was the connectors on the back of the switch will fit inside any wire that's 16 gauge or bigger. At that point, you shove the connector into the plastic sleeve, heat it with a lighter to shrink it, then silicon the whole thing. I've had mine on for the last year and a half and it's worked fine like that. If you want, I'll rip my dash apart tomorrow after work and grab some pictures if you think they'll help...

If you're looking at the switch from the top down, there's 4 connectors.. they're as follows:

1: dash lights (turns on when you turn on your parking lights)
2: load to lights from relay
3: 12v battery lead
4: ground

Hope it helps, and good luck.

White '98 TJ
Hobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
chewrocks

Isnt the plug for the fog lights in there already? It's been a long time sence I put my switch in. I know I didnt buy a plug, just the switch from the local dealer. I'm thinking I used a plug that was wired into the harness that goes to the switches and traced the wires out to the relay box under the hood then went from there. I'm getting old and my mind plays funny tricks on me but I think thats the way I did it.
If not you can always get a package of small knife blade electrical connectors and plug your individual wires onto the blades on the back of the switch.
chewrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
kerndt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i just finished my sons jeep, i bought two "fog light switches" from jeep. one for the fog lights and one for the driving lights. The wired plugs for the switches were there behind the blanks. note the the switch blanks are for rear wiper, rear defrost, and fog lights. each switch is unique, in that each plug-in is different, each have a little raised edge, located in different spots that is supposed to limit the plug-in to only the right switch, but if you cut off this little edge you can use these plug-ins in any switch. But make sure you cut the rear defrost, and rear wiper plug-ins loose from the wiring harness, if your going to use them for lights, because those switches interface with the vehicle computor for their operations. So cut them and wire them like you would for the fog lamps.
kerndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Although I haven't torn my center stack bezel off yet, since mine is an '02 with the factory fog lamps integrated into the turn signal/headlamp stalk, I can't imagine Jeep left that extra connector in the harness behind the ashtray area. Perhaps the '97-'00 models were this way, but an unused connector and wiring means a lot of unecessary cost on a mass produced vehicle. I've got some time before I do this mod so maybe I'll get lucky and get a switch & the connector from someone parting an XJ (not that I want to see an XJ die an untimely death ).

Thanks for the thoughts so far!

Chris
'02 Sahara
Unread 01-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
Hobbie

I had no such connector in my harness... 98tj...

White '98 TJ
Unread 01-31-2006, 04:57 AM   #8
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbie
I had no such connector in my harness... 98tj...
Hmmm...I wonder what the common denominator is here. Since mine is a Sahara/dual top vehicle I do have the defroster and wiper switches, so I can't use those connectors (might need them someday! ). I wonder why some people's vehicles have unused connectors?

Chris
'02 Sahara
Unread 01-31-2006, 08:55 AM   #9
Hobbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77
Hmmm...I wonder what the common denominator is here. Since mine is a Sahara/dual top vehicle I do have the defroster and wiper switches, so I can't use those connectors (might need them someday! ). I wonder why some people's vehicles have unused connectors?

Chris
'02 Sahara
Exactly... I have the dual tops, and the defroster/wiper switches, but I didn't have anything at all for the fogs...

*shrug*

White '98 TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.