Fog Light Wiring - How many amps? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fog Light Wiring - How many amps?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Ejunior2
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fog Light Wiring - How many amps?

Anyone know how many amps the factory harness for the fog lights can handle?

If I've got this right the factory fog lights are 55 watts at 12 volts nominal. Right? So the max amps the factory system should be able to handle is 4.58 amps.

4.0L, Auto, 4" FT LA lift, Bilstein 5100's, Currie HD tie-rods, Napa steering stabalizer, Currie lower cntrl arm skids, FT engine/oil skid, FT exhaust, Kilby sterring skid, SkidRow radiator skid, Mastercraft grab handles, Cobra 75WX cb, Wilson 3' ant, trailguide, Mopar iPod adapter, Coverking seat covers, Warn diff guard
Ejunior2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Warren
1999 TJ Wrangler 

55 watts for the pair? Or each?

If it is each you are looking at @10 amps.
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would agree, approx 5 amps each, 10 amps for the pair.

If I remember correctly, that is about 16 gage wire.

The rule I generaly use is.

16 gage = 10 amps
14 gage = 15 amps
12 gage = 20 amps

I know others are going to through out "wire standard" specs. I just use this a a general rule.
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

amps = watts / volts

So, say with the engine off and battery supplying the power, 12v, a 55w pair of lamps will draw just a smidge over 9 amps, less with the alternator supplying power (14v = almost 8 amps). All of this is completely disregarding relay and wiring draw, but thats negligible in this situation.

A 10 amp fuse will be adequate.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Ejunior2
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks all. That's what I was thinking. I'm actually not looking for the fuse size. Just trying to figure out how many watts/amps I can pull through the factory wiring atthe fog lights per side.

I'm looking at replacing the incandecnt 55W fogs with some 4" 35w HID's. Draw is only 3.15 - 3.30 amps per light so I should be ok with the factory setup. I'll just want to splice them in and re-use the turn-indicator multi-switch.
4.0L, Auto, 4" FT LA lift, Bilstein 5100's, Currie HD tie-rods, Napa steering stabalizer, Currie lower cntrl arm skids, FT engine/oil skid, FT exhaust, Kilby sterring skid, SkidRow radiator skid, Mastercraft grab handles, Cobra 75WX cb, Wilson 3' ant, trailguide, Mopar iPod adapter, Coverking seat covers, Warn diff guard
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
pumpman55
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just removed my stock foglites and installed some 4" hids using the same wiring and switch i just can't run them with highbeems. the stock foglites pulled4.3 amps and the35 watthids pull 4amps box says 3.5 but it is closer to 4 amps. these lites are brite you won't need your highbeems
pumpman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Ejunior2
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I'm looking at either the PIAA 510 or 540 at this point. i still want to run them as fog lights. Warn makes a smaller fog also 3.5" but I don't need the remote switch gimick. Anyone have experience with any of these lights? How's the output, pattern?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.