Fog light schematic? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fog light schematic?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
wrangler1977
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Fog light schematic?

Just moved back to the lower 48 from Alaska, and am in the process of fixing everything that has gone wrong or started to rust in the past three years. One of the issues I am having is with the fog lights. The wiring must have gotten ripped out from under the fenders for them by snow clumps or something. They are factory lights, and they worked when I moved there, but I cannot find the wires to save my life. Does anyone have the wiring schematic, for the Tj for fog lights? I would just wire them like after markets, but I really want to utilize the factory switch.

Thanks

wrangler1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't you want to locate the wires first before ya try to fix em?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
wrangler1977
2002 TJ Wrangler 

uh yeah, thats why I am asking for a schematic. Schematics are good for more than just rewiring, they are also great for tracing out wiring issues. I could teach you all the uses of schematics if you like
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
SFT2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here ya go:

The wires are in the same bundle as the front signals and side markers, all of which exit through a grommet just behind the grille low on the inner fender.

You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel.
SFT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The schematic really won't help. It does give you wire colors, but not locations and that's what you really need to know.
The wires spit off the turn signal bundle under the fender. Open up that bundle and trace it, you should find them somewhere.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
SFT2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
The schematic really won't help. It does give you wire colors, but not locations and that's what you really need to know.
The wires spit off the turn signal bundle under the fender. Open up that bundle and trace it, you should find them somewhere.
Not really an issue on a TJ. Everything goes through the main harness on the driver's side (which makes it such an intelligent move to put the fog light relays behind the glove box for multiple reasons). Worst case you do what I did when I put in the second set of lights with a stock switch. Wire it like any normal iluminated switch. Power and ground, send the signal wire to a relay under the hood where it belongs. I have no idea what was going through Jeep's mind when they ran high current light wiring through the firewall.

You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel.
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
Thank you BlueFlame...this was my point....

If we were talking airplane schematics then yes they give station locations, wire bundle #'s, disconnect #'s, wire #'s....bla bla bla
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
SFT2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Thank you BlueFlame...this was my point....

If we were talking airplane schematics then yes they give station locations, wire bundle #'s, disconnect #'s, wire #'s....bla bla bla
Actually the DC schematics do give locations, but no one knows what they mean.

Unread 08-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
nmj48
2005 TJ Wrangler 

there is a section in the WDM that lists what and where all the location codes are/mean. i don't know about other years but the 04 and 05 WDM actually has an image of the location of each splice/ground/connector
nmj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2 View Post
Actually the DC schematics do give locations, but no one knows what they mean.
True, and without that information just a schematic is a nice pretty picture.
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
wrangler1977
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am not really interested in the location. Though it's not hard to figure out what harness they come out of as there is only one harness going to the lights. Saying I couldn't find the wires anywhere was being sarcastic, as like I said in the post they were ripped out. So what do you think happens when you literally put enough pressure on a wire to break it. I'll answer it for you... You put unbelievable amounts of pressure on other terminations the wire goes to, such as relay blocks. I needed the schematics to give me wire colors not actual location. This is so that I may trace all of the wires associated with this circuit. A wiring schematic's job is not to give you actual wire locations, but termination information, and wire information. Even wiring schematics for programmable logic controllers will not give you wire location, but it will give you sizes, colors, and Temination location. This means if you know how to read a schematic then it does actually give you wire locations because it gives you termination locations such as switchs, fuse blocks, relays etc. I could spend hours taking apart wiring harnesses to follow wires, that will change color at other locations, and hours figuring out what color it changed too, etc, etc, etc. So more or less to the trained eye a schematic is a lnaguage of its own that will give you all the info you need. To the untrained eye it will be "just a pretty picture". :P

Take it from a Journeyman wireman of 12 years
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
wrangler1977
2002 TJ Wrangler 

P.S. Thanks to SFT2 for actually taking the time to be helpful, and not just adding to your post count by trying to put down a newb.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
SFT2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler1977 View Post
P.S. Thanks to SFT2 for actually taking the time to be helpful, and not just adding to your post count by trying to put down a newb.
No problem, let me know if you need any other chunks of the wiring crap out of the book.

Unread 08-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #14
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well ditdat I hope you got what you needed....

Tags
fog , lamp , wiring , diagram

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.