Fog Light Relay Conversion for running high beams with fog lamps on TJ Models - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fog Light Relay Conversion for running high beams with fog lamps on TJ Models

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
tnjb1970
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Fog Light Relay Conversion for running high beams with fog lamps on TJ Models

I know there are already articles about this, but I am offering another solution that I have not seen in the forums. I have been running my 2003 TJ this way without any problems. With this, I will add the following disclaimer:

Legal Notice: in some states it may be illegal having high-beams and fog lights concurrently operating. This conversion is intended for off-road use only. However, if you don't leave both high-beams and fog lights to blind oncoming traffic, you should be fine. It is my belief that this decision should be left up to me and not be decided for me by the manufacturer and/or the government.

The way I see it, I know what the speed limit is but the automakers donít install a speed control device in my vehicle that will never allow me to break the speed limit, so they should have no control of how I run my lights. With that said, making a permanent conversion to your jeep may cause it to not pass inspection. My method is not permanent and can be changed back and forth in a matter of seconds for when it comes time for your state inspection.

First I will show you what the current permanent method is that can only be reversed by changing the fog light relay with a new one.

To get started, you will need to locate the fog light relay in the fuse box next to the battery. Pull the fog light relay and you will notice it is a five pin plug. See photo below

From the view on this picture, on the top row where there are three pins, you will need to bend the far left pin over and around the side of the relay switch. See the next two photos

After doing this, you simply plug the relay back in and you can now run your fog lamps with your high beam lights. The problem with this fix is that it is a permanent solution to this relay switch. If you try to straighten the pin back it will break. Why is this a problem? First the relay switch will not fully seat back into the fuse box. Plus, when you go to have your vehicle inspected it will fail inspection because the high beam to fog lamp cutoff has been disengaged. The only way to resolve this is to have an extra relay switch on hand to change out before you take it to get inspected.

Now for my simple non-permanent solution. You will follow the steps above except you will not bend the pin. The relay switch will actually stay intact. You will however add a plastic sleeve to the same pin.

To explain, I work in law enforcement so I have often times had to take offense reports from the electric company in reference to individuals who have had their electricity turned off but they have illegally turned it back on. When the electric company doesnít completely pull their meter to disconnect the electricity, they simply slide on plastic disconnect sleeves to the meter pins so that there is no conductivity to allow electricity to flow through the meter and into the house. This can be done with your fog light relay too, but we will have to make our own since those used by the electric company are too big and may not be available commercially. The photo below is the meter disconnect sleeves used by electric companies.

To make our own, first you will need some type of plastic material. The type I use is the clear plastic that is usually on packaging such as toys which allows you to see the contents of the box. See photo below

You will need to cut a piece of this plastic the exact width of the pin to make a sleeve that will go over both sides of the pin. As far as the length of the sleeve, cut one side so that it will be flush with the top of the relay switch on the side of the pin that will immediately have a pin next to it. On the side of the pin that faces the outside wall of the relay switch, you will want the length of the plastic to be longer. Iíll explain below, but see photo for examples.

After you do this, you will plug the relay back into the fuse box. It will be a snug fit but be sure and seat the relay switch in its full resting or plugged in position. As you will see in the picture below the plastic tab that was left longer on the outside of the relay switch will prevent the plastic sleeve from becoming stuck in the fuse box slot. You will hold on to this part of the plastic sleeve when you need to remove the fog light relay in the future.

Now you can run your fog lamps with your high beams for your entire off road needs. When itís time for inspection, you will have no need to have an extra relay switch that will inevitable get lost over the year span of your inspection, you simply pull the relay switch, remove the sleeve and reinstall the relay for inspection. Afterwards, you reinstall the plastic sleeve and youíre back up and running in a matter of seconds. Hope this helps someone!

tnjb1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Interesting. Two things I'd be concerned about:

1. Removing and reinstalling this a few times could lead to the contacts cutting/wearing through the plastic. Not a big concern, just make a couple extra sleeves to swap out when needed.

2. The extra bulk on the terminal may cause the socket part to stretch out, which could lead to intermittent contact when it comes time for inspection.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post

1. Removing and reinstalling this a few times could lead to the contacts cutting/wearing through the plastic. Not a big concern, just make a couple extra sleeves to swap out when needed.

2. The extra bulk on the terminal may cause the socket part to stretch out, which could lead to intermittent contact when it comes time for inspection.
Maybe, but a simple slight twist to the terminal will stop that from happening should it occur.
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No disrespect intended at all.....but....do they really check that in Texas? There just seems to be so much more to worry about. Bring brother better really got to get a grip.....Oh, and on my 99, those relays are behind my glove box. How do I know? Did that already...lol
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
munro270
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where is the relay on a 97? And is it the same pin to fold over?
munro270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Maybe, but a simple slight twist to the terminal will stop that from happening should it occur.
True. Not saying this was a bad idea, it's actually pretty good. Just pointing out a couple things to keep in the back of your mind for when this mod has been in place a while.
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywrangler94 View Post
No disrespect intended at all.....but....do they really check that in Texas? There just seems to be so much more to worry about. Bring brother better really got to get a grip.....Oh, and on my 99, those relays are behind my glove box. How do I know? Did that already...lol
Here's the list of what is inspected in my state (Virginia): http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.sh...pectionProgram

Doesn't look like this would be an issue, but an inspector may interpret the "Approved type, proper bulbs, and condition of lenses, wiring and switch" to include non-factory modifications such as this.

I would assume all states have a similar procedure for their inspections that you can look up to see what's inspected.
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
tnjb1970
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywrangler94 View Post
They have never checked this on mine in Texas although if they did and the fog lights didn't turn off, I would fail my inspection. I added the inspection stuff because anytime you talk about modifications, you always have those that pop up and say that it will fail inspection. This solution just offers you a new way of accomplishing the fog light conversion without permanently damaging the relay.
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
tnjb1970
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post

JEK3 those are some good points to make. I should have added that you should have no need to remove it except for on your yearly inspection and that is only if your state or inspection site even checks for this. Mine does not so I never remove mine. As far as stretching the socket out, the metal contacts inside of the sockets are pressed against the plastic housing so it should not allow it to stretch beyond the contact points. I however make sure that I use a thin piece of plastic to help prevent this should it be possible for it to occur. If it does, twist the pin slightly left to right, and plug it back in. With the pin at a slight left to right angle, it will cause it to make contact inside the socket housing.
Unread 12-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I also did not want to scrap a good relay by bending a tab, so the pictures below show my mod. Just removed and saved the relay, made a small jumper with a couple of "blade lugs". Blade lugs are the same size as the relays blades so no damage to connectors in the PDC.
img_0906.jpg   img_0907.jpg  
Unread 12-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
tnjb1970
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2jahanna that's a great idea also. I see you are only utilizing two of the five sockets. Do you have any idea what the other sockets that are not being used are for?
Unread 12-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

In some states, it is illegal.

Pretty much everywhere, it's unnecessary.

If you require additional light with your full beams on, then you either need better full beams or to find a better solution. Fog lamps are for fog - if you need better wide-angle close-range fill (for instance,) you'd be better served to use something like PAR34 floods than to use your fog lamps.

(Sorry, but it always makes me itch a bit to see something being "repurposed" when it's usually an ineffective solution to the problem. That, am I am stuck here in CA - where people run as many lamps as possible while driving around at night, in town, on lit streets. Or insist on using full beams because one dip beam bulb is out. Or ...)
Unread 12-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjb1970 View Post
2jahanna that's a great idea also. I see you are only utilizing two of the five sockets. Do you have any idea what the other sockets that are not being used are for?
It is terminals 3 (common terminal) & 4 (NC, normally closed contact terminal) jumpered together.

If you look at the picture closely, use the "hole" (3) closest to the firewall/battery/rear, and use the center "hole" (4) of the 3 closest to the front of the jeep.

2 of the 3 remaining are for the control (or terminals 1 & 2, for the relay coil) and the last is the NO (terminal 5, normally open) relay contact,

http://www.accessconnect.com/images/5_micro_relay.jpg

I haven't done a lot of research (really didn't need to), but my guess would be that the relay control contacts are fed by the high beams, which will energize the relay "opening" the NC contacts turning off the fog lights.
Unread 12-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by munro270 View Post
Where is the relay on a 97? And is it the same pin to fold over?
If I recall, the relay is next to the fuse block behind the glove box. There are two relays there. You only need to do Relay #2. So do one of them and see which position it works in. I believe it is the one on the right, though.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.