Fluid Change for NV 3550 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fluid Change for NV 3550

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Fluid Change for NV 3550

I changed the transfer case ATF+4 fluid in my transfer case for the first time this past weekend. The fluid looked exactly like the new fluid I put in. There were some very small filings of metal attached to the drain plug, but after 60,000+ miles, the fluid looked surprisingly clean. This has me wondering about changing the syncromesh fluid in the 5 speed tranny. I will need to remove a skid plate to get to the drain plug and wonder if the extra work is worth it. If I drain the fluid without needing it which seemed like the situation with the transfer case, it just looks like a waste of money.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I changed mine not long ago...took about nine minutes to do it, start to finish. I got a lot of powder off the magnet, and the fluid did need changing after 89,000 miles...just because it looks new doesn't mean that it acts new. If you've never changed it, you probably need to do so.

Since you've got a skidplate in the way, it might be worth making some access modifications while you've got it off. You could mark a location and take a hole saw to the plate and make yourself a port for reaching the tranny drain plug; since I'm not familiar with how your plate is set up, I can't say how easy that would be, or whether or not you're blocking access to your fill plug as well. I wouldn't let the old fluid sit in my transmission because of a skid plate, though, were it me...

I refilled with 2+ quarts of Penzoil Syncromesh...a bottle pump makes it wonderfully easy. The new fluid helped a bit to quiet the normal noises of the tranny, as well...might just have been because it was a shade low.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
HPJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd change it but I'm anal about maintainence. I change all of my fluids every 25k miles to keep the mechanicals happy.
HPJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
BDS-Tech

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I refilled with 2+ quarts of Penzoil Syncromesh...a bottle pump makes it wonderfully easy. The new fluid helped a bit to quiet the normal noises of the tranny, as well...might just have been because it was a shade low.
Out of curiosity, did the Penzoil run quiet in yours? I have a 3550 swapped into my '97, out of an 03 Rubicon, and when I first installed it, I ran the Penzoil, and it was really, really noisy. I replaced it with GM synchromesh (same as the Mopar stuff, $3 bucks cheaper a quart) and it quieted right down.

tech@bds-suspension.com
phone: 517-279-2135

http://www.bds-suspension.com/
BDS-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Preventative maintenance is never a waste of money. I put redline synthetic in my tranny, helped with the slight crunch going into 2nd.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
Red04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use 30 wt oil as per this info
High Impact - NV3550 5spd

Makes sense since it's just gears in there and oil is better for gears then a ATF
Red04X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I guess that I will go ahead and change the fluid this weekend. I had already bought some Pensoil Syncromesh for the job a while back. I had always read that you needed to use a Mopar equivilent fluid. That is the first I have seen using regular 30W oil is recommended.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
sh13lds21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i changed to royal purple manual transmission fluid and i noticed the tranny did quiet down a little. that was the first time i changed it so i dont know how any other oil works besides the factory stuff

Tags
tranny , transmission , fluid , change , synchromesh , maintenance , nv3550

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.