flex joint mounting opinions needed.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > flex joint mounting opinions needed..

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

flex joint mounting opinions needed..

i have these 2 summit machine joints and am gonna build mounts for all the arms myself since there so high dollar..they will be high clearance mounts to where the bolt is just under the frame edge keeping the brackets in-line with my bellyup skid i made.
these joints have 3/4 shanks so im thinking i should be ok useing them in the rear uppers that will be triangulated,and use jj,s that i will order thru gerald for the rest of the joints i will need..the 3/4 shank seems to bother some but i cant see them breaking when my stock ones are still in there for yrs?
also,,am i thinking wrong for wanting to use 2 5/8 jj,s everywhere with the 1 1/4 shanks? im thinking its easyer to have all the same when 1 needs repaired or replaced,and the summit joints will be a test comparison for my own knowledge for future upgrades..but im sure the jj,s will not need anything for yrs and yrs when properlly greased..thanks for any opinions..these sm joints have a lot of misalighnment and seems built very well also

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

please type coherent sentences with punctuation. i can't understand what you're asking.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i just re read it all and didnt have a problem..you ever get a e-mail of the letters in the words all rearanged to see if you can read it? i can..i guess i should delete it and forget about if its that hard to understand..
opinions if the 3/4 shank will be ok on the rear uppers?
" " if im wrong for wanting to use all the same jj,s in my arms?
i guess i talk to much at times lol..sm= summit machine. jj= johnny joint from currie.2 5/8=2.625.

Unread 07-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The 3/4" shanks will be fine. If I'm not mistaken, all the joints in the Currie arms are 3/4" shank because of the mounting width for the stock brackets.

I'm not sure about the 1-1/4" shanks. I was thinking about the difference as well a few months back and it seemed like there was something that led me back to the 1" version. Maybe tube diameter or inserts or something.
Unread 07-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
The 3/4" shanks will be fine. If I'm not mistaken, all the joints in the Currie arms are 3/4" shank because of the mounting width for the stock brackets.

I'm not sure about the 1-1/4" shanks. I was thinking about the difference as well a few months back and it seemed like there was something that led me back to the 1" version. Maybe tube diameter or inserts or something.
Well, I think I am mistaken. Currie's site is down, but just looking at the pictures I can see the lowers use a larger joint.
Unread 07-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

IIRC, the lower brackets are all 2-5/8" wide... all the uppers are only 2" wide. So you'll need to run 2" wide joints for the uppers, or cut the brackets off to make 2-5/8" joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

them 2 will be the only 3/4 shank joints,the rest will be 1 1/4 shank and all of them the 2 5/8 wide joints.
i wish i wouldnt have got these 2 first and just got all jj,s..my stupidity

Unread 07-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't notice the cardboard brackets in the pictures Make sure and post a reply when you get this done. I'm always interested in how people build their brackets.
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well since you asked,,and sorry if my redneck slang and punctuation and spelling isnt "aint"correct..i try to spell like i talk lol..just me..

i woke up feeling froggy..so thanks to tommyr,s build for giving me these bracket ideas..2 front and 2 rear,,i may just buy the bent upper brackets with 3-4 diffrent holes for mounting the tri uppers on these brackets,but im cheap and may just make them also..
this is in the ruff now,not ground down,and spent about 2 hrs with cardboard before spending 20 minutes cutting them all out..you get the idea tho.
used 2x4x1/4 tube.probally use 3/8 for the joint bracket tabs..
i left it long to hopefully cut a lil angle on it and mount it on the inside up a lil for higher clearance..i think im thinking correct.but i angled the ends incase it mounts partially under the frame..hopeing not to but need to see others pics of brackets and cant find many..so if ya got,em please share

trying to decide if i want the 1/4 inch protection around the bottom of the joint,or remove it for clearance,,see the metal below the drawn circle?

Tags
flex joint , install

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.