Flat towing behind a motorhome - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Flat towing behind a motorhome

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 06-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
jpwillen
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Flat towing behind a motorhome

I just bought a used 2006 Wrangler Unlimited with auto transmission. To tow this Jeep behind my motorhome the TC goes to netrual and the transmission goes to park. By doing this will towed miles show up on odometer? Or do I need to pull a fuse? Thanks for the help

jpwillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
extsp2
2000 WJ 

i've been towing mine all year and never thought to look....i'm going to have to check that out this weekend....
extsp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

No fuse to pull and no it will not show any towed miles.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwillen View Post
I just bought a used 2006 Wrangler Unlimited with auto transmission. To tow this Jeep behind my motorhome the TC goes to netrual and the transmission goes to park. By doing this will towed miles show up on odometer? Or do I need to pull a fuse? Thanks for the help
Never heard that. "Park", are you sure?
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
Yep. Park for sure...
Unread 06-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
Yup. You don't want the transmission turning while you're going down the road.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

IIRC, on a Jeep, you can turn key to postion that unlocks steering wheel, and allows you to remove key, but not have any power on (so no battery drain).
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
IIRC, on a Jeep, you can turn key to postion that unlocks steering wheel, and allows you to remove key, but not have any power on (so no battery drain).
If my key is not in the off position, I can't remove it. If the key is in the off position, the steering is locked...
Unread 06-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
If my key is not in the off position, I can't remove it. If the key is in the off position, the steering is locked...

A normal ignition switch only has off, on, crank, and accessory. I thought a Wrangler had one additional off location that allows the key to be removed.

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...rticle-145.htm

Flat Towing a Jeep® Wrangler

According to the Jeep manual:

When towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for recreational towing -- such as behind a motorhome -- you must tow with four wheels down (as opposed to using a tow dolly), because...
"Internal damage to the transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing!"
How To Tow A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Behind An RV

First, the transfer case must be shifted into NEUTRAL. Here's how to do that:
Key must be in the "accessory" position......
  • Depress and hold the brake pedal.
  • Set Parking Brake
  • Shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress clutch pedal on manual transmission.
  • Shift the transfer case level into NEUTRAL (N).
  • Start the engine.
  • Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or the manual transmission into gear.
  • Release the brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
  • IMPORTANT: Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position.*
  • Shift the automatic transmission into PARK (P).
  • Apply the parking brake.
  • Attach the Jeep to the tow vehicle with a tow bar.
  • Release the parking brake.
Unread 06-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have been towing my 2004 TJ with 42rle auto for years with no problem. States right in the owners manual how to flat tow it. TC in nuetral, tranny in park, ign. on first click. Not sure why, but that is what the manual says, so I do it. No miles register I am told, but I have never really checked to be 100% sure.
And it also says, "Do NOT shift tranny from nuetral to park with the engine running. Serious damage will occur." Happy camping.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
I have been towing my 2004 TJ with 42rle auto for years with no problem. States right in the owners manual how to flat tow it. TC in nuetral, tranny in park, ign. on first click. Not sure why, but that is what the manual says, so I do it. No miles register I am told, but I have never really checked to be 100% sure.
And it also says, "Do NOT shift tranny from nuetral to park with the engine running. Serious damage will occur." Happy camping.
See if you can remove your ignition key when in this postion.
Unread 06-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

I wonder how this would apply to manual tranny's. I've had mine towed once in neutral and neutral (TC and tranny). I've also unlocked my front hubs. Mind you, they only get engaged on a trailhead anyways. I didn't check my mileage.

Should my tranny be in gear? Some strange reason why like having it in park matters?

Anyone?
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
redvett94

No you cannot. You must have the key in the lock position to remove the key and you must have the key in the off position to tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
See if you can remove your ignition key when in this postion.
Unread 06-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
msiefer
Eat, Sleep, Jeep...

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If your Jeep is equipped with the SKIM (security key system) you could get a non-security key cut at the hardware and leave that in the ignition so no one would be able to start it.
msiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #15
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
I wonder how this would apply to manual tranny's. I've had mine towed once in neutral and neutral (TC and tranny). I've also unlocked my front hubs. Mind you, they only get engaged on a trailhead anyways. I didn't check my mileage.

Should my tranny be in gear? Some strange reason why like having it in park matters?

Anyone?

If you leave the tranny in neutral everytime you flat tow then someday you will start to hear louder noises from the tranny that you didn't hear before because of the scorn races and bearing due to lack of lubrication.
Putting the tranny in gear will keep the main shaft from spinning. If the main shaft is spinning without it in gear then no lube gets to the bearings, lube is below the main shaft bearings.

Unlocking the ft. hubs keeps the axles & ft drive shaft from spinning and less overall wear & tear on the bearings & u-joints.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow , towing , flat tow

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.