Flat fender flares, which ones, how wide? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Flat fender flares, which ones, how wide?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Flat fender flares, which ones, how wide?

Hi all. I know this has been asked a million times but couldn't find much by searching. I'd like to put plastic flat fender flares on my TJ. I currently have what measures to be 5" Bushwacker pocket style flares on it. They are a little beat up and also I put new wheels and tires on that stick out a little more than before. It would take 8" to come flush with the outside edge of the tire.

So, what brand do you like and why? Are there 8" flares and if so do you think they would look good or is that a ridiculous width? The Bushwackers were on the jeep when I bought it, do you think they were installed in the stock holes or did they require drilling new holes?

Thanks all.

BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

why plastic? what type of use do you use your jeep for? what are you state law on covering the width of the wheel/mudflaps?

A picture of your current flares would be nice but probably used mostly stock holes, maybe drilled a few extra but I couldn't tell you for sure. i would highly recommend getting some good metal flares if it's in your budget (honestly their not THAT pricy). I have metal cloaks 6" flares and love them (except don't get powder coat, it turned to crap after a year here in Mass. I run 33x12.5 or 15x10s, and the 6" flares don't quite cover the tires. 15x8's would probably tuck them in enough.
Unread 12-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
why plastic? what type of use do you use your jeep for? what are you state law on covering the width of the wheel/mudflaps?

A picture of your current flares would be nice but probably used mostly stock holes, maybe drilled a few extra but I couldn't tell you for sure. i would highly recommend getting some good metal flares if it's in your budget (honestly their not THAT pricy). I have metal cloaks 6" flares and love them (except don't get powder coat, it turned to crap after a year here in Mass. I run 33x12.5 or 15x10s, and the 6" flares don't quite cover the tires. 15x8's would probably tuck them in enough.
I don't want to get into removing my fenders and inner fenders and all the messing around that replacement fenders would require. At least that's unless I'm missing something.

I'm not exactly sure what the fender/mud flap laws are here in Oregon but pretty sure the tire has to be completely covered by the fender/flare. Although it wasn't with the previous tires and wheels and neither are most of the other people's I wheel with and I've never been pulled over for it or heard of anyone being pulled over for it. That said I'm not against going the 8" if it's available and you all don't think it would look really stupid.

Here are some pictures of my current setup.

Unread 12-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
mclaggan123
jeepaholic

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Bushwackers use the stock holes. It would look funny with 8" flares in my opinion. Do a google search for tire coverage laws in your state.

2006 Rubicon unlimited, silver. 5.5" long arm lift. 35" BFG KM2's on 15" black steelies. skidrow steering skid and radiator skid . LOD rear bumper with tire carrier. Flowmaster 44 exhaust. .CB with tuffy Overhead storage . Offroad lights in bumpers front and rear plus 2 more on the winch hoop.
mclaggan123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rugged Ridge and Rough Country both make 7" factory style flares for the TJ. They look very similar so it's possible they're the same.

Metalcloak recently came out with 8" flares, but you need a little more equipment to run them than just bolt in the original flare holes.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
SnoqulmieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://modernclassicenterprises.com/

get them from here and be done with it!!!
SnoqulmieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
glook
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoqulmieTJ View Post

Looks like you have to cut all the inner reinforcements from the fenders to install those flares. Would probably result in much more movement of the front clip.
Unread 12-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
SnoqulmieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There is some cutting, but its superficial. where the support connects to the fender/ hood latch you cut around that. I have it on my Tj. It looks harder than it really is. Took me about 6 hrs while messing around and watching some football on my lap top in the garage. These are also the toughest some of the fenders out there. They have some vids on their web page showing some testing.
SnoqulmieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bushwhacker flares have a nickname of Bush crackers for a reason.

If you reduce your fender flair coverage, every time you drive through something wet it ends up on your windshield... IMO
Unread 12-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoqulmieTJ View Post

I've looked at those before and and like the looks and flexibility but again I'm not ready to start hacking up my jeep.
Unread 12-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
Luck881
2005 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-06-Jeep-T...item27e769de0f
these look like the TAG ones that used to be on ebay. Used factory holes and work fine, 5.5" wide.

'05 TJ SE, 2.4L, 6 Spd, 2(+)" Procomp Lift, 33" GY Duratracs
'09 Ram QC SLT
Luck881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you're dead set against replacing the stock fenders, I'd go with the Xenons. State Police used to be super anal about flares, but I think they are more focused on the idiots with the Honda's running burned out 6" mufflers. Some cops will crack down on the mud flaps if your running 35's or or bigger, but I haven't heard of too many guys getting hassled anymore. Gen Right and Teraflex make some removable mud flap kits also. Might be something you could run if you get hasseled. Here's a link to the Zenon. They come in black also.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12511_616_07.htm
141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.