flat bed jeep tie down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > flat bed jeep tie down

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
jeepy01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

flat bed jeep tie down

hey guys im about to be putting my jeep on a flat bed and driving from michigan to colorado. i have some question like, what types of straps i should use to tie it down, where are the tie down points, and other things im sure most of you guys know. thanks for the help.

Unread 08-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I use 4- 2 1/2 in wide straps. ON the front I cross them using each point right behind the the lower control arms in the front. Then the rear I have strapped the axle and crossed it but for a long haul (towed mine from IL to CA) I went to the frame rail up by lower control arms in the rear. I like them crossed that way if you blow a tire the jeep can in no way slide on the trailer.
jdhallissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
msiefer
Eat, Sleep, Jeep...

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I like to tie all 4 corners down with individual ratchet straps rated for at least 10,000 lbs. each. By having two straps on each end you always have one still holding if the other fails or comes loose. I have D-rings on both my front and rear bumpers so attachment is fairly easy. You should at least have two tow hooks up front to tie to and for the rear there are two oblong holes in the frame above the rear axle that you can hook into if you don't have anything on your bumper. I always like to have the straps at about a 45* angle leading away from the Jeep. In other words the front ones pulling forward and the rear ones pulling backwards as if stretching the Jeep. This will help prevent any forward or backward movement when stopping and starting. Take along a spare strap or two and check them whenever you stop. Have a nice trip!
msiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You also didn't tell us how much suspension you have. I go from the frame so I don't get a bouncing jeep. I know some guys who don't care and go right from the tires or axles. It is all in the way you like it.
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
jeepy01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

if you go from the frame do you want to compress the suspension a little ?
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I compress it a good ways. I do it until I can't get it any tighter. I have never had a strap come lose or even snap. I lots a trailer tire doing 70 and the one side of the trailer shot in the air a few feet and the jeep didn't even move. Almost tossed the everything on it's side. lol
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I do a combo of both.

If towing it 5 miles I judt strap to the axles front and rear and pull tight, one on each corner as described.

But when towing long distance I always tie down as mentioned then run 1 strap front and rear up to the bumper tow points on oposite corners and compress the springs hard. it is all in what mekes ya feel good. I only add the upper bumper straps to keep the sway down. Nary a problem to date.

I haul cars on a daily basis. These cars are junk and going to scrap. With them DOT requires one front and one reear to keep it from rolling. I have never had an issue hauling like that but I would in no way tow my jeep like that..

But remember the jeep isint the most important part of this equasion, nobody wants our 3400lb jeeps on their hood
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i use 3 straps, 1 around the rear pumpkin and int he front one on each side of the diff. i used this setup all the way to colorado(1000miles) and the jeep didnt budge. i also use the 10k lb ratchet straps. also in the 2nd i have since welded on drings to the front of the trailer rail so the straps go straight
cid__0514001637.jpg   cid__0514001635.jpg   cid__0612091035.jpg  
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
jeepy01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

do you guys leave it in gear or just in neutral with the parking brake up
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepy01 View Post
do you guys leave it in gear or just in neutral with the parking brake up
park and e brake both on

Tags
flat bed , towing , straps , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.