FL Jeep Owners, Please Read - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > FL Jeep Owners, Please Read

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-23-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
siennaspilt

FL Jeep Owners, Please Read

Ok here is the deal, I am from Agawam, MA. area, and there is a GOOD chance that I am going to be moving down to the Tampa area.

I own a 2003 Wrangler X, soft-top with half doors. How does one go topless without getting the inside of the jeep wet on those stupid tropical rain storms?

It is a pain in the arse to take the top down, pull the top half of the doors off, and yank out all the windows. Chances are I will be renting a place down there that has no garage to store the jeep in.

So, what do you men and women do? I don't want to be that soft-top jeep owner in FL that always has his top up. If that is the case, then I might as well trade the Wrangler in for a Liberty

Unread 01-23-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
athflying79

Summer Time

Well, to be perfectly honest......you might as well forget keeping the top down more than a few hours at a time during the summer. I live in S. Florida and it rains almost every afternoon without question. I don't mind because it's like 100 degrees and humid anyway. Pretty much from Fall through winter all the way to Spring, you can keep it down. Right now (8 pm) it's about 50 out, but during the day, it is mid 70's which is perfect for me. I have had my Jeep for almost 6 months and yesterday was the first time I took the doors off. Spring and Fall are the best, pretty much 70's-low 80's and then once Winter is here, it gets cool at night.
athflying79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
Hoss X
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by siennaspilt
Ok here is the deal, I am from Agawam, MA. area, and there is a GOOD chance that I am going to be moving down to the Tampa area.

I own a 2003 Wrangler X, soft-top with half doors. How does one go topless without getting the inside of the jeep wet on those stupid tropical rain storms?

It is a pain in the arse to take the top down, pull the top half of the doors off, and yank out all the windows. Chances are I will be renting a place down there that has no garage to store the jeep in.

So, what do you men and women do? I don't want to be that soft-top jeep owner in FL that always has his top up. If that is the case, then I might as well trade the Wrangler in for a Liberty
You can also get a trail cover......or learn how to put the top up QUICKLY! I can do it in less than 5 minutes. I usually carry the windows if I go far from home. Now about the doors, I have the full doors. I don't have them off as often as I would like. I work on a Thoroughbred horse farm, so I'm usually very close to the Jeep. If the weather gets to looking bad, I can run out and put the top up or pull it into the barn.
Unread 01-24-2004, 12:58 AM   #4
Joey791

beautiful florida! i live in west palm beach fl and honestly i put my top down all the time. if you see a storm cloud chances are you can pull over and put up the top or do like i do drive untill you see the rain comming. I just pull into a gas station and pop it up. rain usuall last only a few minutes so i just put the top up and keep the windows off. my biggest complaint would be the sun burn i geton my face. rain not a problem.......ok ok maybe only in april.
Unread 01-24-2004, 01:12 AM   #5
cspann

OR, you take out all your carpet and herculine the inside, take out the drain plugs and dont leave anything that you dont want getting wet in the jeep. I live in hawaii and it rains somewhere on the island almost everyday. No big deal unless theres a HUGE storm. then i put the doors and front windows on only. The rest gets wet and drains out all the dirt from wheeling. HTH,

Chris

P.S. Ill be in flordia eventually.
cspann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2004, 03:49 AM   #6
Nick B
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If your moving to Fl. I hope you like mud. Also fences with signs that say: Private Property,No Tresspassing.
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2004, 06:21 AM   #7
TJon00

For Fall and Winter, its not so bad, it doesn't rain every day, only when a front comes through. The further south you go you will experience more afternoon showers in those months as it is warmer, I live in northeast Fla. (some people like to refer to it a south Georgia (yuck!)) which is a bit cooler than south Fla.. The Spring and Summer are worst, as you can almost set your clock to the afternoon t-boomers. Just put the top up about 2-3 pm and you will be ok. You will see. The showers are mainly inland, the beaches are spared a bit from time to time which is where I like to be.

Jon

PS - Remember to take off the top during a hurricane, tents don't hold up very well in 100mph winds

[url]http://home.comcast.net/~jaxjon/jeep.htm[/url]
TJon00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2004, 09:59 AM   #8
siennaspilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJon00
For Fall and Winter, its not so bad, it doesn't rain every day, only when a front comes through. The further south you go you will experience more afternoon showers in those months as it is warmer, I live in northeast Fla. (some people like to refer to it a south Georgia (yuck!)) which is a bit cooler than south Fla.. The Spring and Summer are worst, as you can almost set your clock to the afternoon t-boomers. Just put the top up about 2-3 pm and you will be ok. You will see. The showers are mainly inland, the beaches are spared a bit from time to time which is where I like to be.

Jon

PS - Remember to take off the top during a hurricane, tents don't hold up very well in 100mph winds

Okay the P.S. part is scary. Thanks all for the reply. I was hoping Best-top would get off their behinds and make the Half-Top set up for the 2003 models, that would be perfect for Florida people.
Unread 01-24-2004, 11:14 AM   #9
Bucket110

get yourself a bikini top and a duster tonnau cover and forget about it.

[URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/2k2blktj]My Jeep[/URL]
Bucket110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2004, 12:29 PM   #10
davenjeip

I spent about five years living an hour or so south of Tampa. Looking at a map of the gulf, you have Tampa bay and a bay below it (Charlotte Harbor). I lived about 15 minutes from my dock to that harbor.

I had a Camaro with T-tops most of the time I was there. The only good thing was that you knew when the rain was coming. 4:00 every day.

I got the Jeep after moving back to Maryland for the rainiest summer in 100 years. I like to have the top down every day that I can. I remove the side windows and leave them at home. I was just rolling up the back window but, after seeing how quickly it got scratched, I will be leaving it at home next year.

I've got full doors so I can roll up the windows and shut the door really quick. The top goes up in about a minute since I don't have to deal with the windows. Then I'll slide the seats forward. The carpet gets just a little damp in the back but the Jeep manages to stay pretty dry. I ran around like this for quite a few rainstorms without a problem. I think the full doors make all the difference.
davenjeip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2004, 01:05 PM   #11
Bucket110

a good way to keep the back dry but also be able to put the top up and down quickly is to get the duster that is meant to fit the top under it when folded down. when you put the top up you can still fit the duster across the back to keep the carpet and seat dry. worked great for me last summer. but im getting rid of the duster for the other one without the extra material to store teh soft top under it.

[URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/2k2blktj]My Jeep[/URL]
Bucket110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2004, 03:05 PM   #12
doorocks
Web Wheeler

[QUOTE=siennaspilt]Ok here is the deal, I am from Agawam, MA. area, and there is a GOOD chance that I am going to be moving down to the Tampa area.

So, what do you men and women do? I don't want to be that soft-top jeep owner in FL that always has his top up. If that is the case, then I might as well trade the Wrangler in for a Liberty [/QUOTE]

I have the whole get-up, SuperHeader Bikini, deck cover and windjammer, I never ran my doors on all summer in NH, even when it rained heavy. The floors get a little wet, and maybe the seat on the edge, but nothing to worry about. Even when driving down the road with the doors off in the rain, I never got wet. So when I wanted "open air" it took me all of one minute to take the bikini off and left the deck cover and windjammer on.

Like Buckett said, buy the SuperHeader bikini setup and be done with it.

Rain?............yo, it's a jeep.

RE 3.5 and all kinds of other relevant goodies, you know winch and stuff.

[COLOR=Red][B]Life is like walking into the No Chance Bar full of Future Darwin Stories........[/B][/COLOR]

More mods than a hillbilly's set of teeth..
doorocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.