Fixing a rear axle leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fixing a rear axle leak

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Roxy2011
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Fixing a rear axle leak

Hi all,

I went to the mechanic today... he told me that a rear axle leak cannot be fixed - he says it has to be replaced including the ball bearings and cons. He said that the axle seal cannot be replaced without removing the ball bearings and cons, and by removing these, they automatically get damaged; hence the full thingie needs to be replaced. This will cost $$$.

Is the mechanic taking me for a ride? Can a rear axle leak be fixed keeping the ball bearing and cons intact?

Whats a brake cylinder? He says that too needs to be replaced. Cant it just be fixed?

By the way, shez a 99 TJ soft top with a 2" lift kit.

Thanks

Roxy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is he saying the whole axle assembly needs to be replaced?
Unread 10-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy2011 View Post
Hi all,

ball bearings and cons. Is this his terminology or yours?

Is the mechanic taking me for a ride? possibly

Whats a brake cylinder? He says that too needs to be replaced. Cant it just be fixed?He is right about this one. They are cheap and easy to replace

Thanks
If "ball bearings and cons" are his terminology and not yours then never go back to his shop. Where is the axle leaking? It could be the pinion seal or the axle shaft seals. All seals on the axle can be replaced easily by a competent shop with no other damage. The only reason to trash the whole axle is if it's bent and this has ruined the seals and will ruin any new seals you install.

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Roxy2011
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yup this was his terminology. He insisted that the ball bearing and cons need to be removed to fix the seal, and u cant remove them without damaging them, so u gonna need to replace the whole thing including the ball bearings and cons.

Thanks for ur inputs, i'll take the Jeep for another opinion. Thanx
Roxy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

That guy has no clue on what he is saying, get your JEEP and leave now. Any and all leaks can be fixed with no problems. Also the brake cylinder is a piece of cake to replace as well. Although you can get a tool that can hone it out, then replace the seals. I just did it in my JEEP.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Actually..... to get to the seal on a D44 (don't know if he has one or not) you have to strip the bearing off and press a new one back on with the new seal. Beyond that, you can always pull the entire assembly and use Mopar gray silicone on the axle tube to try and seal the leak without stripping the bearing. It's always a good idea to use RTV there anyways. Not a big deal.... maybe a 1 hour driveway job for the average hobbiest.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.