• 1 Post By Kalten
  • 1 Post By Jonny Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-24-2017, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fixed my leaking door seals

I saw a picture of an open door on a TJ somewhere on here with something that caught my eye. In the door jamb at the body joint that is near the door switch was a small piece of foam.

I knew I had some soft self adhesive foam strip in my toolbox approximately one inch wide and one eighth thick. I cut some diagonally and stuck it on at that point and also at the windscreen seal, where I also thought water may be moving from the outside to the inside of the seal. The slope of the diagonal is to direct any water that might be getting to the inside back to the outside of the seal.

I did that a couple of months ago, and during the wet summer we've had here, I've had no water getting into to the foot well. It's such a simple fix I don't know why I didn't figure it out earlier.

Attached Thumbnails
2017-09-23 16.38.00.jpg  
TheBoogieman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-24-2017, 09:11 AM
zipman35
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I donít know that I follow where your talking about.... here?

Mine seems to have a leak toward the top where the corner front of the door meets the top

Itís weird though the rubber seems fine

I have a whole roll of the stuff your talking about though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 09-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Kalten
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just don't think that area seals well at all. I had a leak on the drivers side and removed my plastic windshield/door trim and it was wet on top of the rubber seal where you added foam. I noticed the foam seal did not go full length on the plastic trim so I removed the old foam and replaced with new foam top to bottom. No longer leaks.
zipman35 likes this.

2006 Jeep LJ Auto, 4" spring-lift, Synergy control arms and front trackbar, 33x10.5 BFG AT KO.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-25-2017, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipman35 View Post
I don’t know that I follow where your talking about.... here?

Mine seems to have a leak toward the top where the corner front of the door meets the top

It’s weird though the rubber seems fine

I have a whole roll of the stuff your talking about though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. That's one of the pieces of foam rubber I added. The other is just near the door switch. The windshield seal isn't exactly level with the bodywork at that point and water did seem to be getting onto the inner side of the seal at that location.

I replaced the seals a year or so ago and although water ingress was reduced with the new seals I had still been getting water inside. The addition of those small pieces of foam seems to have cured my leak.

With the old seals I had water dripping off the corner of the soft top which was getting inside from higher up. I think these pieces of foam would have reduced the ingress with the old seals with the slope of the foam directing water back to the outside of the seal. Though I'm not sure if it would have cured it completely. If you have some foam like that I'd say it's worth a try.
zipman35 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.