Fix for Broken Body Mount? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fix for Broken Body Mount?

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 04-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Fix for Broken Body Mount?

I found a broken & rusted body mount today. Its the passenger side rear by the shock mount, horrible spot.

Looking in the hole, it appears the bolt sheared off right at the nutsert. Can't see any threads...its just a flush cylinder inside. Body mount and JKS spacer are still in place on the other side.

How do I go about fixing this?

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lift the body and remove the mount pieces and see if there is any bolt sticking below the body you can get on. Under the rear seat there is a square part of a raised panel that the mount is located under, you may have to go at it from the top to get it out. Ideally you will weld a nut on a piece of bolt sticking down and heat it up to twist it out.

If you want when you get it out pm me and I can send you the missing pieces I just did a bl on my jeep.
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I double checked, and i'm 100% positive the bolt sheared level with the tub wall. I can see the painted surface, so there isn't any bolt sticking out at all.

I really don't want to cut holes in the floor if I don't have to. I did find where the bolt hits the floor though...very last resort.
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why couldn't you drill it if it is flush? Drill it and easy out.

I have some what the same issue. I have 2 that the nuts in the frame are just spinning. I can only see going in from the riser in the floor and cutting to get to them.
jdhallissey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since you don't want to cut the floor, and I don't blame you. If you don't own a set of easyouts I would seriously consider sending that to a mechanic and let them get it out with the drill. That's going to be such a pita there if your not tooled up for it.
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

bought the correct easy-out, bit, center punch and tried to get it out. no dice. 3/16" pilot hole went good, 19/64" easy-out hole went as far as I can...bottoming out the drill. hammered the easy-out in, but can't grip it with anything since the hole is so deep.

only thing i got left is drill all the way through with 7/16" bit and run a bolt through the floor

or

dremel cut a hole in the floor, rip the destroyed nutsert out, tack weld a Grade8 nut on the inside and try to reattach that way.

anybody have any better ideas?
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Take it somewhere...I'd rather pay a few bucks to have someone remove it rather than cut a hole in my tub for no reason.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I weld a nut to the busted bolt and get em out after a few attempts. Cutting a hole is the last resort.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

it sheared off even inside, he can't weld onto it.....

I agree with Apex, I'd call a few places and see if they could do it. Especially before cutting.
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can you put a nut up there and weld through the center of the nut to the bolt.
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vosevichs View Post
Can you put a nut up there and weld through the center of the nut to the bolt.
long past that point. the hole is at least 3" deep...no way to get the gun in there and ensure the wire goes into a nut. besides, the nut would have to be smaller than 7/16" in diameter...and i can't see torquing on an 8-32 or smaller with a 2 ft breaker bar.

i went to two mechanics. both said cut the tub and estimated around 3 hours labor ($100/hr). one guy was really helpful and basically talked me through the whole thing for DIY.

i bought some 0.024" wire & tips for my HH140...going to clean all the paint off the area, cut the tub with a dremel, grind the BS out and bore a new 7/16" hole, tack a Grade 5 nut in place and tack it all back together.

soooo....who's got an extra body mount laying around?
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
Rammer500
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Can you drill it out enough to rethread the hole?
99 TJ 4.0 5 Speed Sport, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, 1.25 Body Lift, 1" MML, SYE and CV shaft,JKS Quicker Disconnects, 33x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains,4.56 gears, Super35 w/ Ected Locker, Warn 8274 and some other stuff.
2014 Rubicon Stock
Rammer500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know you don't want to Unlimited but I had this same body mount break off on me while doing my lift. The only way I could get it was to cut a hole in the floor. Although I sealed the hole up and covered it with carpet. If it makes you feel any better it is hidden under the rear seat assuming you still have one. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Brian
"That's awesome advice. Anytime I have a difficult repair, I fix something else that's much easier to get to. This one time, there was a hole in the oil pan so I replaced the side mirror on the driver's door."
Wanted: Tuffy rear underseat drawer. PM me if you have one.
2003RubiBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #14
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

If you are going the "fix it yourself" route you can always utilize your down time to upgrade...

A buddys rig with the swag mounts. (although they do not replace the mount that you broke) just some food for thought
Best of luck in solving your problem. I remember buggering up my rear shock mounts in my old cherokee. Had to cut the floor to get an access hole... it definitely was a low point in my day.
TexanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #15
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammer500 View Post
Can you drill it out enough to rethread the hole?
after pulling out the other side to see what the threading was originally in, probably not. besides, same problem as the Easy-Out...tap will be too short & won't be able to grip it. the hole is like 3" deep and a we bit over 1/2" wide.

the only other option i see is lift the whole body off the frame, and cut the bottom of the channel out, fix it, then weld it back in. same difference as cutting a hole in the floor, without the need for a car lift.

well...looks like i should check the liner in my HH140 and make sure gas works.... never done sheet metal welding...this should be interesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.