first time lift question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > first time lift question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
rozzi1987
2004 TJ Wrangler 

first time lift question

hey guys, i just finished my install of my smittybilt bumper and winch. afterwards i noticed i dramatic droop in the front end. i have measured it out to about 2.00 inches lower than the rear wheels. im thinking of going with a local company here in knoxville and using spacers. the company ,top gun customz, manufactures them in house out of laser cut steel and they seem legit enough.

this means that the front had drooped about 3/4 of a inch lower than stock. making it 2 inches lower that the rear, i want to level everything out. (sorry ment to at that)
questions:

will a spacer lift be ok in my application even with the extra load on the front

should i look into shocks as well while im there

do any of you guys have past experiences with tgc and if so is it really to quality that they state

im not hardcore off roader by any stretch, me and some friends like to hit up light trails, sand mines, and hard to get to hunting and fishing spots.

i think that covers all of it. oh and heres a realy bad pic of the after result.

thanks guys

Last edited by rozzi1987; 07-18-2012 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: left out info
rozzi1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If your jeep is sagging that much due to the front bumper install, then it might be time for new springs.

Otherwise, the spacers should do the trick. Not sure which brand to recommend though.
Unread 07-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
rozzi1987
2004 TJ Wrangler 

any thoughts on how to tell if the springs are bad? oh and the bumper and winch weighs about 110 pounds. the bumper brought down the front end a total of .75 of a inch from stock, and i figured that while im in there i would go ahead and make it level with the rear. any way thanks for the quick reply, ill go to top gun tomorrow
Unread 07-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2 inches of drop seems excessive considering the weight. I, weighing about 200lbs, can sit on my front bumper, stock suspension, and the drop is negligible.
Unread 07-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
rozzi1987
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
2 inches of drop seems excessive considering the weight. I, weighing about 200lbs, can sit on my front bumper, stock suspension, and the drop is negligible.
no no no. the front only dropped .75 of a inch. and the ride height is stock so the front is 2.00 inches lower that the back. sorry ment to add that
Unread 07-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #6
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I weigh 250 and I can jump up and down on my fender and it may move an inch, to get a 3/4" droop from a 80 lbs winch and 40 lbs bumper is a bad sign, you dont need spacers, you need new springs, and probably new shocks as well, new springs dont have to be expensive, look around and see whats available.

If you put on spacers you'll be wasting your money because you'll still be buying new springs soon.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

1" spacers will work fine.I prefer the poly spacers over aluminum.Here's my brother's jeep with 75lb bumper and heavy winch with 1" spacers I installed.

Unread 07-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
97flexy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

smittybuilt bumpers are hella heavy. Thats why your sagging up front use some stiffer rate springs or poly spacers
Unread 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My springs didn't sag even a 1/4" with an ARB bull bar and an 8500lb winch,

spacers wont fix your problem, but the spacers will work when your springs fail completely and you have to buy shocks, ball joints and bumpstops to fix your Jeep, but spacers are cheap, try it.
Unread 07-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
sdptrey
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Front spacers are fine. Jeeps come from the factory nose down a little. 1" spacers will work great. Thats what I did no problems
sdptrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I did have a bit of an issue with TGC, ending with a Z not the company with the same name but ends with an S a couple months ago . I bought 4 shocks from them on Ebay . When I did the " buy it now" they had posted that they had 4 sets in stock and continued to advertise that same quantity for the next month . I followed along because they had none in reality and it took me a month to get mine and had noticed in their feedback where I was not the only one they pulled that on. They gave me a song and dance about not being able to keep track of how many sets they have but still never updated their quanitity the whole time. Problem is I don't know how accurate their feedback is because they offerd to refund the shipping money if I left positive feeback. As far as I am concerned that is like buying positive feedback . They got to keep my shipping money , I left truthful feedback.
Unread 07-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Clone this buyer

lmao
Unread 07-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #13
rozzi1987
2004 TJ Wrangler 

THANKS GUYS!

called up top gun customs and got a set of 1.75 spacers and brought the nose right up to level with the rear. this will do just fine until i wear out the tires and go with bigger tires.

I
Unread 07-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #14
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2
I did have a bit of an issue with TGC, ending with a Z not the company with the same name but ends with an S a couple months ago . I bought 4 shocks from them on Ebay . When I did the " buy it now" they had posted that they had 4 sets in stock and continued to advertise that same quantity for the next month . I followed along because they had none in reality and it took me a month to get mine and had noticed in their feedback where I was not the only one they pulled that on. They gave me a song and dance about not being able to keep track of how many sets they have but still never updated their quanitity the whole time. Problem is I don't know how accurate their feedback is because they offerd to refund the shipping money if I left positive feeback. As far as I am concerned that is like buying positive feedback . They got to keep my shipping money , I left truthful feedback.

That is the same company on ebay and they did me the same way. They advertise they have it in stock and then have to order it.
Unread 07-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #15
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2
I don't know how accurate their feedback is because they offerd to refund the shipping money if I left positive feeback. As far as I am concerned that is like buying positive feedback . They got to keep my shipping money , I left truthful feedback.
This should be reported to eBay! I can't say for sure that it's a violation of eBay rules and terms, but I'd bet it is. If not, it should be, IMO.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift + spacers , shocks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.