First Jeep, 98 TJ Wrangler---NO A/C!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > First Jeep, 98 TJ Wrangler---NO A/C!!!

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
MichaelLimas
1998 TJ Wrangler 

First Jeep, 98 TJ Wrangler---NO A/C!!!

Hello all,

I have had my wrangler for about 5 days now. I purchased the jeep knowing that it had no a/c. It has all the components within the jeep, knobs, vents, etc. Although, it has no components to actually produce cold/hot air(compressor, hoses, nothing). It does have a blower. I live in South Texas, 100+ degree weather. I need A/C. What is the most cost efficient way to install an entire a/c unit on this TJ? Thanks in advance!

MichaelLimas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Major Pain

2011 JK Wrangler 

I have a 99tj and tried to sell my A/C stuff for a year and finally tossed it out last month. you could go to a junk yard and get the pieces off another jeep that has the components you need, but check to see what you have on your jeep and make a list of what you need then go to a you pull it yard. make sure you take an A/C line disconnect tool any auto parts store should have a kit. your other option is to try to find another TJ offroader who might still have most of the A/C stuff after removing it, maybe craigs list.

but buying new is expensive, A/C pump and lines arent cheap at least in my experience.
Major Pain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Brazuca
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am in Indiana, but summers here are hot, however, I do not feel the need of A/C, very happy with mine, I drive with the top down all the time in the hot weather, will only put it up in November. This is not my daily driver though. Think hard if you really need it.
Brazuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
wuzfuz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Michael L

I have a 97 TJ that came from the factory with no air. Living in Arizona I needed A/C. I bought a kit from Jeepair.com and it was easy to install. The kit comes with instructions and a CD with photos. The really neat thing about the TJ is that the wiring harness already has the necessary plugs for the A/C. Jeepair is really good to deal with also.

.............Joe
wuzfuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
MichaelLimas
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just ordered the kit from Jeepair, I'm nervous I will mess this sucker up. Is the process easy? Is it very time consuming? I am getting help from two buddies. Thanks.
MichaelLimas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
drknow90rs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This should be pretty easy for you as long as you have some mechanical ability (You will need that mechanical ability if you are going to own a jeep!) Between you and your buddies, you shouldnt have too many problems. I couldnt imagine owning a jeep without A/C, but then again, I DO live in AZ.
drknow90rs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
drknow90rs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just don't try to charge the A/C system yourself, unless you have the equipment to vacuum the system.
drknow90rs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknow90rs View Post
Just don't try to charge the A/C system yourself, unless you have the equipment to vacuum the system.
I have a 97' came without AC but did have the heater/defrost, etc...

I got a kit from AZ mobil air or something like that, it was about $900 but came with very high quality components even better than stock.

Took a full day to install since I had to pull the dash and blower housing and completely disassemble it to install the AC cooling core.

I charged the system myself without vacuuming it, the way to do it is to purge the HP valve while filling until you get a bit of refrigerant to come out (tree huggers can suk it) and good to go, did this on 2 of my vehicles and they blow ice cold, so in response to you saying not to charge it yourself, there is nothing wrong with that, it can be done and I have ice cold AC to prove it, I could transport Penguins through Iraq safely if I wanted to, lol.
Unread 07-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLimas View Post
Just ordered the kit from Jeepair, I'm nervous I will mess this sucker up. Is the process easy? Is it very time consuming? I am getting help from two buddies. Thanks.
Cancel the order. Your wasting a TON of money since you already have all the dash controls. The bulk of cost in those conversion kits is the new HVAC control unit. A compressor and all the other components are cheap in comparison.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Turfzilla
2003 TJ Wrangler 

you dont need no stinking A/C. no door or windows and a top will be enough.
Unread 08-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
TurtlesTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good Luck with the install
TurtlesTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
bardb

If you install the kit yourself, make sure and keep everything clean. A bit of dirt on the orings will most likely cause a leak that you'll have to chase down later. Don't install the drier. Leave it factory sealed and let the shop that charges the system install it right before evacuating the system or at the very least install it right before you head up there. It's called a drier for a reason and not evacuating the system or opening up the drier to atmosphere defeats its purpose. I would also wrap baggies over any open tubing to keep junk out until you get it all buttoned up. Oh and don't forget about the oil for the new compressor. Some come with it, some don't. Talk to an expert to see what they recommend (add separate, use the oil+refrigerant, etc).
bardb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #13
Peace4U2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek View Post
I have a 97' came without AC but did have the heater/defrost, etc...

I got a kit from AZ mobil air or something like that, it was about $900 but came with very high quality components even better than stock.

Took a full day to install since I had to pull the dash and blower housing and completely disassemble it to install the AC cooling core.

I charged the system myself without vacuuming it, the way to do it is to purge the HP valve while filling until you get a bit of refrigerant to come out (tree huggers can suk it) and good to go, did this on 2 of my vehicles and they blow ice cold, so in response to you saying not to charge it yourself, there is nothing wrong with that, it can be done and I have ice cold AC to prove it, I could transport Penguins through Iraq safely if I wanted to, lol.
Hello, I live in Las Vegas and was wondering if u can tell me where you purchased your AC kit for 900. the cheapest I found online was like 1049.00
Thanks in Advance!
Peace4U2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
MrDubbe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazuca View Post
I am in Indiana, but summers here are hot, however, I do not feel the need of A/C, very happy with mine, I drive with the top down all the time in the hot weather, will only put it up in November. This is not my daily driver though. Think hard if you really need it.
You obviously don't live in the desert no ac around these parts is a death sentence! Ok maybe not a death sentence but really unpleasant. I live in southern CA 15 miles from Mexico and our summer temp averages 105-110 and some parts of Texas are around the same averages but twice the humity. Ac is a must in my opinion.
MrDubbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
a/c , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.