Finding a bumper that does not use frame holes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Finding a bumper that does not use frame holes

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
dylanhaiduk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finding a bumper that does not use frame holes

I have rear tow hooks mounted in my frame holes that most hitches and bumpers would use. Like the ones shown here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/rear-tow-hook-548553/

Anybody have any luck with bumpers that mount to just the rear crossmember and not have to use those holes?

I was looking at the Rock Hard rear bumper and then possibly using frame reinforment brackets and then mount the tow hooks on that.

Oh, and I dont really plan on using the bumper for recovey or towing, just for accesories and carrying my dirt bike on the back.

Thanks, Dylan

dylanhaiduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanhaiduk View Post
I have rear tow hooks mounted in my frame holes that most hitches and bumpers would use. Like the ones shown here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/rear-tow-hook-548553/

Anybody have any luck with bumpers that mount to just the rear crossmember and not have to use those holes?

I was looking at the Rock Hard rear bumper and then possibly using frame reinforment brackets and then mount the tow hooks on that.

Oh, and I dont really plan on using the bumper for recovey or towing, just for accesories and carrying my dirt bike on the back.

Thanks, Dylan
Most bumpers have provisions for D-rings. Why not just ditch the hooks?
Its not a very good idea to put a torque load on that rear cross member w/o using frame reinforcement. Especially something as heavy as a dirt bike extended out far enough to miss the spare tire.
Some LoD bumers only use the cross member holes and underside frame holes.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

For a dirt bike your going to need frame tie ins. The weight of a dirt bike bouncing around on the hitch will peel the stock crossmember off in short time. Like said get a bumper with integrated d-ring mounts and ditch the hooks.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
dylanhaiduk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

From my understanding the rear frame mounted tow hooks are a better option for recovering than a mounted bumper or hitch. What do you guys think? Also I drilled the frame holes out with a 1/2" drill so would I have to do the same for a bumper or hitch that would be going in those holes?

Thanks for the quick response guys!
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
dylanhaiduk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
Some LoD bumers only use the cross member holes and underside frame holes.
What are LoD bumpers? This seems to be what I'm after
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanhaiduk View Post

What are LoD bumpers? This seems to be what I'm after
http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/home.php?cat=258

I have this one. It bolts to the holes just inboard of the frame rails, and the bottom side.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Remind me to never get pulled out by your rear set up!
New Jersey Jeep Association
MuddyJeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.