Few questions from new owner. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Few questions from new owner.

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Shop Stuff to Complete the Job!

Unread 07-27-2010, 05:34 AM   #1
Joeggernaut
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Few questions from new owner.

Just bought a 2000 Black sahara 4.0l 5 Speed TJ

I will get pics and more info updated in my profile but I just got it yesterday so bare with me and I know a little about cars and did some research on these jeeps before buying one so im not totally a noob but go easy.

1. The ac only blows on max or none. The owner has some kind of wire he disconnects and reconnects to turn it off and on. I am leaving it off for the time being as it is exposed and do not want a short. I researched a little and most seem to point to blower motor resistor for this issue but that was on pre 00 models. Any incite and how much cost to fix this?

2. Is there a switch for the dome light? Also what is the amperage/watts as I want to put a led or a brighter lift in it or even add another light via one of those switches near the fog light switch.

3. I believe I have 3.07 gears as at 70mph I only tack 2k in 5th. I plan on running a 3 inch suspension lift and 33 inch tires very soon so do I need to regear keep in my profile bio (uses) and I have researched that regearing isnt worth it and it is just easier to swap out in a d30/35 from a 4 cyclinder with 3.73 gears or 4.10s. I would love to do a d44 but I have read those are 1k+.

4. The jeep came with no spare, so I assume I can buy a 16 inch wheel and like a 30" used spare and cover it as I dont plan on buying a 5th set of rims/tires, but is there a factory jack and if so where? Would it be beneficial (pros/cons) for me to drop to a 15 inch rim or 16 inch?

5. My left tail light reverse is cracked and water probably damaged the light so the reverse light doesnt work. I cant seem to find a new lens for it, so if someone could link me or provide a link for a new tailight that be great. Also what is factory light specs for factory fog light?

6. Is it worth it to install a aftermarket alarm, like door sensor, shock sensor, imbolizer?

7. It has 120k mile so besides serpentine belt, fluid check/change, spark plug check, filter check, what else needs to be done or is coming up soon? When does timing belt need replaced?

8. Last question for now....I plan on getting a class III hitch but with a 3 inch lift and 33 inch tires so I need an adapater to lower the hitch or will it be fine?

Joeggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
Ghaniba
1998 ZJ 

First, Welcome to the family.

1- blower only on max or none sounds like it's the resistor. 10 min fix, tops, behind glove box. I don't think your 2000 is different than my 98, I think most of the changes happened in 2003, but someone else can confirm that.

2- Dome light: Switch for the dome light is on the headlight stalk - turn counter clockwise, as I recall, from my desk.

3- Regear: A d44 is more expensive, but if you're planning on doing any wheeling, bite the bullet and so something to replace the Dana 35 in the rear, right off. I'd recommend an 8.8. They can be had, with gears & proper 'bolt in' brackets for under 1k. The big thing to me is disc brakes in the rear. They don't get bound up n' crappy like the drums do. That would be THE reason I would go the opposite way I did.

4- Spare: If you run 33's and have a 30" spare, you're going to be out of luck in the future, if you start looking into lockers. My understanding is that you risk damage by running different size tires on them. I've even heard 'tread wear' difference is enough to cause you issues... Best to look into a tire carrier bumper now and be done. buy the 5th wheel & tire, you'll be happy you did!

5- Tail light. - there's a site I use most often for local junkyard lookups: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

or many others recommend:
D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Specializing in Jeeps & Jeep Parts

6- Alarms: It's a jeep, don't bother. There's some slick things you can do to lock out your ignition using magnets, etc, a hidden switch, etc. Basically rule of thumb in Jeep land is - don't put anything in your jeep you want to keep. Hardtop or not.

7- Yep, check the belt and all fluids I'd do a drain & fill for peace of mind. All of it's easy to do. Check out Stu's site for most anything you'd need:

Jeep TJ Web Site of Stu Olson - N7QJP

8- Hitch - Again, tire carrier bumper can resolve this as well. You'll probably just end up using one of those drop hitches in whatever case you do.

Hope all this helps and welcome to the fun!

Dave aka Ghan
Ghaniba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
Joeggernaut
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the great info but if I am only doing mild wheeling like dirt paths and beaches do i really need the upgraded rear end as I dont ever plan on locking it. And as for the spare I only plan to go like 50 miles at most to the nearest shop to fix it and I dont want to buy a 5th set to see it rust/rot away. Last but not least could you private message me the secret locations to store things or how to disable ignition as it is probably not wise for it be posted on the internet for everyone to see.

thanks again.
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed on #8. Don't lower the hitch itself, just the ball. If you lower the hitch, you reduce ground clearance permanently...with a lowered ball, you can remove it when you don't need it, and still have good clearance under your bumper.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
Ghaniba
1998 ZJ 

Well, obviously you don't have to. I didn't think I was heavy footed enough to brake my D35, but it broke on me, ruined the day for the other 2 guys I was out with, as we spent the next 2.5 hours getting my heap out of there. Some people do run them with no issues, maybe you'll be one of those lucky ones, maybe not!

If you're going through the hassle of swapping entire axles, I'd just not want to put a D35 back under.

Dave aka Ghan
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
Joeggernaut
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yea I guess that is resonsable if im swapping axels might as well put a good one in. What do I need to do to reinforce the hub when running bigger tires? Also is regearing nessecary or can I just ignore 5th with 3.07 gears?

Im sorry I asking so many questions and I have searched for stuff but sometimes its nice to here from updated posts/people what is good and what is not good.
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I used a 5" drop on my cherokee to tow a small boat. My cherokee had 5" lift on 33's and that drop got me down to where the trailer was near level. You can get them in several different drop/rise. Just check walmart/tractor supply.

I repaired the resitor pack in my XJ, but I don't know if the TJ is the same. I replaced the thermal protector fuse, which is about $2 at radio shack. Here's the write up I did. May or may not be helpful.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...sistor-206575/
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
Joeggernaut
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Alright well I guess im done asking for questions for now but cant wait to get to modding, very excitied. I will keep you posted, that is if you care lol.

I ask so many questions because I rather do it right the first time
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Furthermore:
1. You're going to want 4.10's with 33's, just to keep your mileage/power where it's supposed to be. You could pick up a Rubicon axle for around the $1,000 mark if you look very, very hard...and that will have a locker as well.

2. If you have a full 5th, you'll be able to do a five-tire rotation, as well as get yourself out of whatever situation you're in when you punch a tire.

3. Security/Ignition/Storage...there's no reason to not share this kind of information. We're all at risk of having lower life forms break into our rides and take our stuff. Thus, if we have suggestions, they need to be out in the open. With that said, there are plenty of good, secure locking boxes that remain out of sight.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
Ghaniba
1998 ZJ 

I'd also like to state for the record that I was going to use the Jeep for 'snow days' and had no interest to take it 'wheeling' other than a dirt road here n' there.

Now I find myself locked, front & rear, 33's, debating making the step to BIG axles and 38+" tires...

So, like I said - I'd recommend just swapping the axle out with something stronger, do it once, rather than 2x when you find yourself wanting more!

Here's some guys I've been hearing good things about:
Complete Ford 8.8" Rear Axle Assembly Jeep TJ Ready to Bolt In Axle Swap

Bearings / hub assy are fine for larger tires. I'm not sure where that cutoff would be for them, but in reality, the axleshafts are snapping & tubes are too weak before you'd get to that point for the bearings/hubs!

Dave aka Ghan
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
Joeggernaut
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Im still in school so I have limited funds as school comes first, then fun (I have enough for a quality lift and tire package and little extra but I dont want to spend it all, im sure you understand). Also the jeep will be my dd until I graduate so it still needs to be somewhat tammed at least until I get out. But I catch your drift.
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #12
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

1. Could be the resistor or the switch. The switch has a bad habit of overheating and causing connector/insulation problems.

2. The dome light on the ’00 is turned on at the headlight switch on the dash. Twist counter-clockwise until click. Is the light coming on when the doors are opened? If not, check for a fuse in slot #4 of the fuse panel behind the glove box. Removing this fuse disables the door jamb switch so the doors can be removed without the light staying on or the chime ringing all the time. Some guys disconnect the wiring from the switch rather than pulling the fuse.

3. With the 4.0L, 5 speed transmission, and 33” tires 4.56 is a better gear choice for most people.

4. What size wheels are on the vehicle now? Match what you have or buy a full set. If you are going to run 33” tires why buy a 30” spare?

6. Only you can answer this. I run without the top and doors all summer so anything I leave in the rig I expect to be gone when I return.

7. No timing belt, it’s a chain. For most people there will be some other engine issue that either requires a rebuild or complete replacement before the chain becomes a problem.

8. Would the lowered hitch be so the 33” tire would fit on the stock spare carrier? If so, you can expect problems. That size tire will deform the sheet metal and/or cause hinge problems. Some people get away with it but most have problems once they reach that size tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeggernaut View Post
… What do I need to do to reinforce the hub when running bigger tires? …
Nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeggernaut View Post
… is regearing nessecary or can I just ignore 5th with 3.07 gears?...
Is it “necessary”? No. Many folks run 3.07 gears with 33” tires, some even run 35” tires with those gears. Do you get the best performance from the engine? No. Will it make you want to cry and drive the Kia instead? Maybe. The more time you spend driving in hill/mountains, on the highway, and in winds the more you will dislike the gears. When you have spent some time driving around with 33” tires and 3.07 gears if you get the opportunity to drive a similar rig with proper gearing you’ll be kicking yourself for not gearing properly for the tire size.
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaniba View Post
I'd also like to state for the record that I was going to use the Jeep for 'snow days' and had no interest to take it 'wheeling' other than a dirt road here n' there.
I had the same thing in mind when I bought my Jeep. Took it a little farther, also.

Chuck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac , a/c , blower , max , maintenance , advice , lights , electrical , electric , alarm , tail light , tj , wrangler , spare

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.