A few lingering front brake questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A few lingering front brake questions...

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

A few lingering front brake questions...

A couple of questions before I start my front brake replacement. Iíve read all the threads but didnít find the answers to...

I donít have any pulsing or pulling so Iím not going to have my rotors turnedÖhowever, do I still have to Ďde-glazeí them with sandpaper like the Haynes Manual suggests? And what grit sandpaper and how much sanding is necessary?...if at all?

The writeups include cleaning the caliper with brake cleaner. Do I also clean the rotors with braker cleaner?

Itís also a bad thing to get brake cleaner or anything on the pads right?

thanks as always,

jim

rastadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastadog
A couple of questions before I start my front brake replacement. Iíve read all the threads but didnít find the answers to...

I donít have any pulsing or pulling so Iím not going to have my rotors turnedÖhowever, do I still have to Ďde-glazeí them with sandpaper like the Haynes Manual suggests? And what grit sandpaper and how much sanding is necessary?...if at all?

The writeups include cleaning the caliper with brake cleaner. Do I also clean the rotors with braker cleaner?

Itís also a bad thing to get brake cleaner or anything on the pads right?

thanks as always,

jim
Brake cleaner is bad. Do not use brake cleaner on brakes. Simple Green or any of the other detergent based degreasers are much better and actually clean.

A 60 grit non directional finish laid down with a random orbit sander is acceptable if you are energetic, otherwise, you can just do a pad bedding and break-in if the rotors are not grooved.

If you are not familiar with the sander, skip that step.
Unread 05-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

...as far as sanders go all I have is this little thing:

What's the deal with brake cleaners being so bad?
rastadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
DaOne
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd just take some 100-120 grit sand paper and lightly sand the rotors in a circular motion. That should be all you need.

I miss my Jeep. On the hunt for a replacement.
DaOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.