Fender poll/input - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fender poll/input

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

View Poll Results: Fenders?
Wait & get Genright Aluminum fenders 5 18.52%
Wait & get PSC Aluminum defenders (hood line) 8 29.63%
Ccfabs hood line fenders 5 18.52%
Other: mces, mc, etc... 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 10-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I've researched, but I still have a few questions & thought a poll wouldn't hurt.

Right now I have some cheapo Taiwanese or something oem style fenders that I figure came off eBay. The PO had bought them to fix the jeep after a tree had fallen on it.

Anyways, one fender has crack in it, & both fenders are getting some rust on the underside.
I was thinking about changing my fenders sooner than planned

I had originally planned on either:
1. Mce flatties with a flare
2. Genright Aluminum w/4" flare
3. PSC defender hood line w/3" flare

I'd like to get something with a flare because I hate throwing all that water/mud/debris in the jeep, & I don't know which state I'm going to end up in yet & would like to have the tires fairly covered.

I like aluminum because of the weight & I don't like the idea of steel just transferring all the energy down the line into the body tub.

That being said...some of steel options out there look pretty good & are much more affordable.

I try to do it right the first time, but I also need to be realistic...I just graduated college & the jeep needs other stuff too.

Would going with something like CCfabs hood line w/3" flare really be a bad idea? I can fix the current setup & hold out for genrights or psc, but I don't know if it's worth double the cost (when I have so many other mods/maint on the list)

jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
MetalMountainGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have ccfabs negative flare fenders on mine. They were surprisingly well built and make my jeep look mean. You do have to cut up your current fenders, and reuse the inner fender so if your current fenders are toast that may be a problem for you since all the fenders you listed except genright have to have the stock inner fender. I love my CCFABS ones and the price was fantastic. I wanted the hood line with 3 inch flare until my buddy bought some of the negative flare ones and and I knew they were what I wanted. My jeep is not my DD so the fact that it doesn't have any front flares doesn't bother me. The install on them was a breeze and only took about 6 hours total doing it by myself. I probably could have been done much faster, but you have to have a few beer breaks.

Out of all the ones you listed, the only fender I wouldn't recommend is the MCE. It may just be me, but I cannot figure out why anyone would spend 400 dollars on what is essentially just a plastic fender flare.
MetalMountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
I have ccfabs negative flare fenders on mine. They were surprisingly well built and make my jeep look mean. You do have to cut up your current fenders, and reuse the inner fender so if your current fenders are toast that may be a problem for you since all the fenders you listed except genright have to have the stock inner fender. I love my CCFABS ones and the price was fantastic. I wanted the hood line with 3 inch flare until my buddy bought some of the negative flare ones and and I knew they were what I wanted. My jeep is not my DD so the fact that it doesn't have any front flares doesn't bother me. The install on them was a breeze and only took about 6 hours total doing it by myself. I probably could have been done much faster, but you have to have a few beer breaks.

Out of all the ones you listed, the only fender I wouldn't recommend is the MCE. It may just be me, but I cannot figure out why anyone would spend 400 dollars on what is essentially just a plastic fender flare.
Right now, my fenders aren't too bad. The crack, for now, is towards the outside of the fender. Most of the bad parts of mine are on the outer fender

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ill probably be getting some ccfabs 3" hoodline whenever I cross that bridge.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I did the aluminum Gen Rights w/ 4 in flare. Awesome quality and great looks.

'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
I'd like to get something with a flare because I hate throwing all that water/mud/debris in the jeep, & I don't know which state I'm going to end up in yet & would like to have the tires fairly covered.

I like aluminum because of the weight & I don't like the idea of steel just transferring all the energy down the line into the body tub.

That being said...some of steel options out there look pretty good & are much more affordable.

I try to do it right the first time, but I also need to be realistic...I just graduated college & the jeep needs other stuff too.
Aluminum is going to transfer impact almost as well as steel. If you look at any mfg, alminum is about $100 more than steel and when you are talking about an item that const $500+ who cares about that small difference. I would offer an option but I have nothing nice to say about any of your choices.

All I can say is buy quality and cry once or buy sh*t and cry a few times.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I voted other: Metalcloaks. I have the CCFABS hoodline negative flare fenders and I love them, couldn't be happier with them. It is kinda hard to beat $190 shipped too. I DD my TJ and live in Texas so tire coverage doesn't matter here, however, you said you want flares so I'd save up and get the MCs.

Unread 11-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduncan View Post
I did the aluminum Gen Rights w/ 4 in flare. Awesome quality and great looks.

Could we get a front view of these fenders? I would like to see how much the tire gets covered by the 4" flare. Sorry for the highjack.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd only go with full replacements. I believe that means Genright, TNT Customs, or Metalcloak. Any that I'm missing?? You chop off half of your fender and have problems with the inner part that is retained it will just create more headache down the road. Whereas full replacement fenders give you all new, fresh metal to work with. I went with Metalcloaks that are at the painters right now.
Unread 11-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget about Poison Spyder. I really like their aluminum fenders.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
Rbloodhound
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I love my new metalcloak arched fenders with 6" flares.

Rbloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Matt98XJ
2014 JK Wrangler 

Take a look at the Poison Spyder fenders. Probably my favorite. I just don't like the look of those Metalcloaks.
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Metalcloaks are pricey but when my inner fender exploded in a cloud of rust when I was putting on mine it made it worth every cent. I am not a fan of the arched fenders which is why I bought the ones I did.
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
Cravenmoorehead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am in the same boat. i'm leaning towards the CCfab ones. MCE wants $383 for plastic. I like the metal cloaks but not the $800 price tag.
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
nmtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

While the price of MCEs is high there are some pros. They offer weight savings over both steel and aluminum. The flares bend which can be beneficial. Won't have to worry about rust. The cons are pretty obvious. MCE has great customer service too! You can't really go wrong with any of the choices mentioned.
nmtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.