Fender flare install and nutserts are a pain... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fender flare install and nutserts are a pain...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
bmwatters
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Fender flare install and nutserts are a pain...

I was installing new bushwacker 6" pocket style fender flares and having a hell of a time trying to get the bolts out of the 2-3 nutserts on the front fenders closest to the door... The ones that I could reach behind and feel were just spinning and rusted to the bolt, i tried pliers but maybe i will try vice grips any tips? I also cant get some of the ones that are not accessible from the back? Do I drill them out and put new bigger nutserts in?

Right now they are on but it doesnt look clean because i used some metal wire to tie around the bolts that wouldnt come out and through the bolt hole in the flare and then tied it off. So they are on and wont come off but i want to do it right...Any tips for me on this? thanks guys

bmwatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
TheJackel
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had and have the same exact problems, I need to take all my flares off to put on new ones and its the most difficult thing ive run into yet, I tried pliers, wrenches, wd40, etc etc. The thing thats stumping me right now is the back fenders, theres screws that just turn and no back to hold the nutserts. Im stumped as well.
TheJackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just pull the inner fender liner. Then you can clearly see and get to each of the nutserts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
stevensinger

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I this if a little different but check out this write for the warn 6 inch flares, maybe it will help. http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/...warn6inch1.php, If you would post some pictures I think you will get more help. I was thinking of getting these myself, what size tires are you trying to cover with the 6 inch flares and what do you think of them besides the install?
2006 Rubicon Unlimited Khaki: AUTO, 4:11 D44/D44, REBB /w Mono tubes, Rancho front stabilizer, 31 x 9.5 LT245/75R16 MTRs, Stock 16in Moab Wheels, Olympic Reverse-A-Bars,KC Daylighters on windshield brackets, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Pioneer Sound, 3A fire extinguisher, Line-X interior...

www.stevensinger.org <-- Photography website

Hello, my name is Steve and I am a Jeepaholic.

LJ Owners Member 155
Rubicon Owners Member 123
New Jersey Jeepers Member 44
stevensinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
ltklein

Nutserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackel View Post
I had and have the same exact problems, I need to take all my flares off to put on new ones and its the most difficult thing ive run into yet, I tried pliers, wrenches, wd40, etc etc. The thing thats stumping me right now is the back fenders, theres screws that just turn and no back to hold the nutserts. Im stumped as well.
You probably know this already, but in case you didn't....

I just did mine Friday. I think there's only 3 nutserts on the front fenders...2 closest to the door and 1 on the very front.

I may have that backwards...

The others have a square plastic retainter that the sheet metal screw threads into. Doesn't fit a wrench or anything.

So..I don't doubt you have nutserts spinning..just didn't want you chasing all the screws. I held the retainers with my fingers, but pliers would work.

Likewise, in the rear fenders, there's only nutserts on the ends. The middles are all the plastic dealies... Pull the liner and you can get at the back of all of them.

BTW....I don't even know why they bothered with nutserts. I can put my hand on the back of all of them. So, if you ruin them on the removal...you can just replace it with washers and nuts.
ltklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
bmwatters
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I used vice grips on the spinning nutserts (not the plastic square things) and they still didt come off...should I drill through the screw and put in a newer (and now has to be a bigger) nutsert? Ill post pics when I get my camera back from the shop.
bmwatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
ltklein

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwatters View Post
I used vice grips on the spinning nutserts (not the plastic square things) and they still didt come off...should I drill through the screw and put in a newer (and now has to be a bigger) nutsert? Ill post pics when I get my camera back from the shop.
Yeah...I wouldn't worry about drilling them out. Since you have access to the back of all of them, you can do like you said..just use a washer on the screw.

If they're exposed, like on a Bushwacker Flare, I'd stick to the same size screw with a washer so it looks the same as the others. If it's going to be hiidden, like factory fenders, the go with a bigger screw...

Almost anything else I'd recommend would be more destructive...
ltklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:27 AM   #8
nicolas-eric
2006 TJ Wrangler 

a friend installed his flares with normal tools. it was a pain and took hours.
i bought such a wrench before and it took only 1 hour for all flares.

12.000 lbs Winch Synthetic Winch Line 4x 130W Hellas 4x 200W Hellas @ Lightbar E-Fan
Jeep TJ Runicon Pics www.timbercrawler.de
nicolas-eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
TheJackel
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The only problem with mine is the nutserts are rusted to the back of the nuts, ill have to find someway to cut em out.
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
BULLET99Z28

get yerself a cheap 4" grinder, throw a cutoff wheel on it,and cut the bolt head off. You might scratch the inside of the flare a little, but who cares, you can't see it. Thats how I did mine yesterday. then I took a small puch and popped the nutserts out of the fender.
Unread 03-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
TheJackel
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How do you put the fender back on though, screws with nuts?
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
ynnhojTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My flares are attached with zip ties!!! They have been for years.
ynnhojTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
TheJackel
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What spots did you use zip ties, all the holes ?
Unread 03-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
ynnhojTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackel View Post
What spots did you use zip ties, all the holes ?
Correct....well, all the holes that are opened and can be looped back to zip into. I drove for nearly 2 years back and forth to work, 2 1/2 hours each direction. Its seen plenty of highway miles. The cities of DC and Baltimore which are loaded with potholes. As well as offroad. They're still attached.
I use 8" zip ties. They are 'rated' (I don't know how they rate them) to 75 lbs each zip tie. More than enough strength to hold on the flares.
ynnhojTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
ThomasW
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I got some new wrenches to get mine off. Everything was going easy as pie, but the bolts by at the bottom rear of the front passenger flare are a real pain. There is nothing behind them holding them in either. I don't get it, they just spin but don't come out.

Lol and to think I had all you guys beat with getting mine off....then I hit a brick wall.
{My Jeep on flickr} {Build Thread} {Viking Fastback Top Review}
ThomasW is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.