Feeling pretty old this morning... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Feeling pretty old this morning...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
BDoyle
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Feeling pretty old this morning...

I got my SYE installed this weekend. Nice to have the shifter where it belongs. Also did RE adj UCAs and JKS rear shock relocators. While looking for snap ring pliers at NAPA I came across lockring pliers. Definately the way to go. Grabs those angle ended rings easily. The oil pump gave me a little trouble as the new shaft dia is much larger. I disasembled the pump and put installed it one piece at a time making sure the inlet tube and o-ring fit up good.
Make sure you have a 12pt 10mm socket for that bolt on the top of the transfer case. Mine were 6pt so I had to use a end wrench to get if out.
The rear UCAs were not an issue except that after I raised up the tranny/TC the muffler was in the way of one of the control arm bolts.
So now I am waiting on Tom Wood to get my driveshaft out this week which I will attack on the weekend (as well as RE trackbars and ORFab tire rack).
Anyone ever figure out the amount of control arm length change per degree of pinion rotation?
Brian

BDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When you get your drive shaft on, put a jack under it at the pinion, and raise or lower it with the angle finder on it, and continue checking it until you have it set right. Once it's where you want it, put your control arms in. Double check it when you're done.
Unread 04-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Weeee, I get to do this as well in a couple weeks!!
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
BDoyle
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Chris, that's what I figured I'd do but sometimes I just look at things and think distance between points, angle, sin, cosine ect. Just the machinist/programmer in me.

PhulesAu, I'm just out of practice. Job was pretty straight forward nothing real tricky. I feel that the SYE is the right way to go.

Something else I was thinkin' about. Once you rotate the pinion up how do keep the correct oil level in the axle. I can just see the oil change guy now...
Brian
BDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.