Feel Kinda dumb asking this... Putting my TJ on a Lift (Work Shop Lift) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Feel Kinda dumb asking this... Putting my TJ on a Lift (Work Shop Lift)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 03-31-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Ludoc

Feel Kinda dumb asking this... Putting my TJ on a Lift (Work Shop Lift)

I have access to a HUGE lift this weekend. Would you guys recommend putting the 4 lifting legs on the frame or the 4 bars that attatch to each axle? (Torsion Bars? Can't remember what they are called)

I had my TJ up on a lift a few days ago and the guy put the legs on the frame. My front and rear axles were sagging so bad I was affraid that they were going to fall out. I noticed as it was going up that the Torsion Bars (??) were sagging as the axle flexed. Thats why I was wondering if I should support them to keep anything from getting torn up.

[size=+1][color=red][b][FONT=times new roman][u]RED 04' TJ - 2.4[/FONT][/b][/color][/size][/u] [color=black][b][font=times new roman]4 In Lift, 31" Courser M/Ts, 4.56 gears, JKS Discos, Aussie Auto Locker[/font][/color][/b]
Just a basic Jeep... nothing special.
Ludoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
JeepTJMan

Support the jeep on the frame if you have a big lift like that. Those armes i believe are your lower links, control arms. I believe they have a few different names.
JeepTJMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 06:57 PM   #3
Dragonmaster

Always lift from the frame with a hoist. Your axle will not "fall out" unless you plan on disconnecting your shocks and sway bars.
Work 2 Live, Live 2 Play, Play = JEEP
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
Ludoc

So those lower control arms that are sagging won't harm anything? My shocks looked like they were completely out lol. Made me kinda nervous. No I don't plan on disconnecting anything. Did a full service on my Jeep the other day (Transfer, Both Diffs, and Oil) but didn't have the Allen Wrench to do the Transmission. Got the Allen wrench today and will be lifting it tommorrow so just wanted to be sure I wasn't hurting anything with those arms flexing like that.
[size=+1][color=red][b][FONT=times new roman][u]RED 04' TJ - 2.4[/FONT][/b][/color][/size][/u] [color=black][b][font=times new roman]4 In Lift, 31" Courser M/Ts, 4.56 gears, JKS Discos, Aussie Auto Locker[/font][/color][/b]
Just a basic Jeep... nothing special.
Ludoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
JeepTJMan

Well I believe there are some retainers located at the top and bottom of your springs to keep them from falling off when you flex. If you are missing those your springs might fall out with no weight placed on them to keep them compressed.

Not sure on this. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. I dont want to give bad info.
JeepTJMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 09:06 PM   #6
Dragonmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepTJMan
Well I believe there are some retainers located at the top and bottom of your springs to keep them from falling off when you flex. If you are missing those your springs might fall out with no weight placed on them to keep them compressed.

Not sure on this. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. I dont want to give bad info.
There might be retainers, but 8/10 times there isn't, therefore your shock travel limits the axle droop usually, just be sure the springs are seated correctly before you fully lower the lift if they do happen to become unseated in the air
Work 2 Live, Live 2 Play, Play = JEEP
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
got4-Lo

support the frame

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
2k3r1

Your control arms are SUPPOSED to flex like that. Lift it by the frame.
2000 TJ Sport, 4.0L, 5-spd, RE 3.5" with all 8 adj arms and adj trackbars with 35"s, D30 w/ Lockright, 8.8 rear axle, sye and CV driveshaft, M.O.R.E. 1" BL and MML, IPF headlights w/ H4 FATBOY bulbs, PSC power steering skid, rock-it man rockers, uniden pro 520xl WITH PA :)
Future mods: 4.88s and ARBs?, belly up, dif guards, Gastank Skid.
2k3r1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.