FAQ - How do I determine my gear ratio? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > FAQ - How do I determine my gear ratio?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Closed Thread
Unread 10-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

FAQ - How do I determine my gear ratio?

There are a few ways to determine your axle gear ratio:

1. Look for a tag under one of the diff cover bolts in the 9 o'clock position. This will tell you what ratio the Jeep originally had and likely should still have. If someone would have regeared it, chances are they would not put the tag back on. Here is an example of an axle tag you would find on a TJ axle:

dana-axle-tag.jpg

2. Get your build sheet/equipment listing instantly from Jeep by clicking HERE or request a build sheet from a Jeep dealer. This will tell you the ratio the Jeep should have left the factory with. Build sheets can be wrong and axles can be regeared or swapped out, so this does not guarantee 100% accuracy.

3. Jack up the rear end. Count driveshaft revolutions while rotating the tire. Turn the tire 2 complete rotations if your other tire remains stationary and does not rotate. Turn the tire 1 complete rotation if the other tire turns in the same direction. The number of times the driveshaft rotates equals the gear ratio. If the driveshaft rotates about 3x, the gear ratio is 3.07. If it rotates 3 3/4 turns, the gear ratio is 3.73. You can mark the driveshaft to help you count.
(see post below if interested why you spin a tire 1 rotation or 2 rotations)

4. Log your RPM at 60 MPH in a 1:1 transmission gear and plug the numbers in the formula below:
RPM x tire diameter
------------------- = Gear ratio
60 x 336
5. Open the diff cover and count the number of teeth on the ring and pinion gears. The number of teeth on the ring gear divided by the number of teeth on the pinion gear equals the gear ratio. The tooth counts will also often be stamped in to the side of the ring gear. For example, a 3.73 gear set is pictured below (41 divided by 11).

gear-ratio-stamped-ring.jpg

Wheelin98TJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So why do you sometimes spin a tire 2 complete rotations instead of 1 complete rotation?

The ring gear rotates 1 revolution each time that both tires make a complete rotation.

In other words, the 2 tires together must both make 2 complete rotations together.

If you have an open differential and the other tire remains stationary, the spinning tire must make both of the 2 complete rotations.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.