FAQ - Cold Air Intake - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > FAQ - Cold Air Intake

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #76
M2LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

All I know is from firsthand experience, I had a 1996 VW Passat VR6 with a Neuspeed P-flow and a K&N air filter on it; and whereas I did "feel" better acceleration and get better gas mileage from the car compared to my wife's nearly identical 95 VW Passat VR6, my car also threw CELs all the time where her's did not! I had to replace the MAF sensor several times (which sits right behind the K&N).

I would have to be a total idiot to run a K&N air filter on my LJ down here in dusty central Texas! All you have to do is look at the filter to realize it doesn't stop small particles from passing through it! The stock airbox and filters I use stop a lot of crap from getting into my engine, and the 4.0 I6 is pretty much bulletproof if you take care of it. Why screw up a good thing for a little temporary gain on an engine that was designed more for torque that acceleration?!?

M2LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #77
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LJ View Post
All I know is from firsthand experience, I had a 1996 VW Passat VR6 with a Neuspeed P-flow and a K&N air filter on it; and whereas I did "feel" better acceleration and get better gas mileage from the car compared to my wife's nearly identical 95 VW Passat VR6...
How does a K&N Filter help with better gas mileage?
Unread 07-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #78
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All I know is from firsthand experience, I had a 1996 VW Passat VR6 with a Neuspeed P-flow and a K&N air filter on it; and whereas I did "feel" better acceleration and get better gas mileage from the car compared to my wife's nearly identical 95 VW Passat VR6, my car also threw CELs all the time where her's did not!
What you may have failed to notice on many of these K&N threads is this... they CAN help SOME vehicles with performance and fuel economy. Those a K&N can help are those that have restrictive air intakes that were purposely designed to be restrictive for any number of reasons. The Mustang 5.0L is one engine that "wakes up" on the street after installing a free-er flowing air intake. Your VW had a restrictive air intake system from the factory so I don't doubt you felt improvement on your VW.

However, this is a Jeep forum... not a VW forum.

The Jeep TJ was SPECIFICALLY designed to have a completely free breathing air intake. It is not restrictive in the least and this is right from Jeep engineering, not hearsay. So in the TJ's case, a free-er breathing air intake isn't going to help in the least. Since it's not restrictive, making it less restrictive won't help. What a K&N WILL do however is let a lot more dirt and dust into the engine. And to me, that is unacceptable. And since Jeeps are typically driven in dusty offroad environments, a K&N air filter is the very very LAST air filter I would run.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #79
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Any suggestions on another conical or cylindrical filter--in other words one that can be run in the cowl--that will provide a proper level of filtration?
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #80
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmaster View Post
So, were you born a cynic, or has only just recently come naturally to you? Yes I read the page, let me be more concise...cai is dyno tested to add horsepower and torque not to mention improved mpg. This is fact not fiction! It is one of the few cost effective simple bolt-ons the average joe can perform. My point is, mopar performance would not sell you something that does not meet it's claims! Where else, praytell, can you spend a two or three c-notes and in about an hour have added 6 to 15 HP and 25 ftlb of torque? That's money well spent in my book.
PT Barnum was right!
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #81
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The most restrictive part of a Jeep TJ, Mustang 5.0L or any other engine is the throttle body. Not sure how a free-flowing intake can help with fuel mileage.
Unread 07-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #82
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post
The most restrictive part of a Jeep TJ, Mustang 5.0L or any other engine is the throttle body. Not sure how a free-flowing intake can help with fuel mileage.
Probably can't. Even a bigger throttle body probably won't work. Cold air works. Not much, but in my case 1-2 mpg improvement.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #83
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
actually on the TJ, at WOT, i believe its the exhaust ports in the head. for the TJ's 0331 head casting, the exhaust port shape was changed to make them more restrictive. they did this to cause the Cat's to heat up quicker for emissions purposes. now any time other than WOT, you're completely right, thats the purpose of the TB - to meter the air coming in

a bigger TB does help a little bit with throttle response , mostly 1/2 to WOT transition when merging and such. I highly doubt theres much HP improvement (2% at 4500rpms maybe?), definitely no mileage improvement....i've been running one for ~2 yrs.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #84
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are thinking too much. I'm talking about how a high flow filter effects fuel efficiency when there is a partially opened throttle body that restricts the air already during most of your "economic driving."
Unread 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #85
M2LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
What you may have failed to notice on many of these K&N threads is this... they CAN help SOME vehicles with performance and fuel economy. Those a K&N can help are those that have restrictive air intakes that were purposely designed to be restrictive for any number of reasons. The Mustang 5.0L is one engine that "wakes up" on the street after installing a free-er flowing air intake. Your VW had a restrictive air intake system from the factory so I don't doubt you felt improvement on your VW.

However, this is a Jeep forum... not a VW forum.

The Jeep TJ was SPECIFICALLY designed to have a completely free breathing air intake. It is not restrictive in the least and this is right from Jeep engineering, not hearsay. So in the TJ's case, a free-er breathing air intake isn't going to help in the least. Since it's not restrictive, making it less restrictive won't help. What a K&N WILL do however is let a lot more dirt and dust into the engine. And to me, that is unacceptable. And since Jeeps are typically driven in dusty offroad environments, a K&N air filter is the very very LAST air filter I would run.
Wow Jerry, your technical expertise has no bounds, does it?

What YOU apparently failed to notice was that was entirely my whole point! The K&K was beneficial on my VW (and yes, I know this isn't a VW forum, thanks for pointing that out ) and most of us realize that it provides no benefits for the 4.0L I6.

But thanks again for repeating the same comment for the umpteenth time, I think we all know by now that the K&N will suck in a lot of dirt and dust into the engine, you've repeated that comment so many times that it should be your signature block. Seriously, do you just like to post the same thing over and over again?!?
M2LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #86
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You made a post that extolled the virtues of CAI setups and claimed them as beneficial. To come back after the fact and say duh you obviously weren't saying they're useful on Jeeps everyone knows that blah blah blah, well... If we give you the benefit of the doubt, must assume that you're just a terrible communicator. Otherwise, it's nearly trollish.
Unread 07-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #87
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Any suggestions on another conical or cylindrical filter--in other words one that can be run in the cowl--that will provide a proper level of filtration?
Amsoil's EAAU with a pre-filter on it.
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #88
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Seriously, do you just like to post the same thing over and over again?!?
It never occurred to you that the same questions keep getting asked over and over again?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #89
TDmaster
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Exactly! Seems that everyone here convinced me that CAI is worthless, so instead, I went with the SDS (Supercharger Drive System) from RIPPMODS...picked up over 100 whp on my 3.8L JK
TDmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #90
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Around View Post
Amsoil's EAAU with a pre-filter on it.
Nice. Any idea which one fits? :P

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.