FAQ - Cold Air Intake - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > FAQ - Cold Air Intake

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #61
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
I will NEVER use a test by the maker of the item being tested for the true information...never. Useless, shouldn't even bother...
then you can't use pretty much anything in your life. The specs given on a Jeep - 4.0L w/ 190hp, 235 ft-lbs of torque was conducted by Jeep, and i'm guessing this engine wasn't SAE J1349 or J1995 certified. the whitening toothpaste you use everyday, the cell phone that emits 1.0 W/kg SAR, the endotracheal tube that may save your life some day, the X-ray machine used to observe your broken bone, the air filter in your furnace, the BTU output of your furnace, the power consumption of your drier, washing machine, stove, refrigerator and the insulation the walls of your house...have all been tested internally by their respective companies.

You have to look at the context, test conditions, information given and make a determination for yourself - not write it off immediately (thats the definition of ignorance).

Did you notice Amsoil's tests show an SEM image of their air filter? Whens the last time you saw any test showing a 10 micron scale SEM image of any air filter? SEM's cost hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars and are extremely expensive to operate. Whats that mean? Amsoil has gone to great lengths to prove their product is better.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #62
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
Then maybe you just need to replace your filter?
Maybe it was just replaced 2k ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #63
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
Maybe it was just replaced 2k ago?
Oh yea, I forgot to remember that event while I was stalking you.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #64
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
Oh yea, I forgot to remember that event while I was stalking you.
No you forgot to think that I might have done that already while you were being an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #65
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

i've really never noticed anything major,except it whistles like a turbo diesel.not as noticable since the banks monster cat install.
yellow jeep club #343
IAFF /FF's OF WASH. D.C. EMERALD SOCIETY/CHARLES COUNTY RESCUE SQUAD 51
claytonandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #66
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
then you can't use pretty much anything in your life. The specs given on a Jeep - 4.0L w/ 190hp, 235 ft-lbs of torque was conducted by Jeep, and i'm guessing this engine wasn't SAE J1349 or J1995 certified. the whitening toothpaste you use everyday, the cell phone that emits 1.0 W/kg SAR, the endotracheal tube that may save your life some day, the X-ray machine used to observe your broken bone, the air filter in your furnace, the BTU output of your furnace, the power consumption of your drier, washing machine, stove, refrigerator and the insulation the walls of your house...have all been tested internally by their respective companies.

You have to look at the context, test conditions, information given and make a determination for yourself - not write it off immediately (thats the definition of ignorance).

Did you notice Amsoil's tests show an SEM image of their air filter? Whens the last time you saw any test showing a 10 micron scale SEM image of any air filter? SEM's cost hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars and are extremely expensive to operate. Whats that mean? Amsoil has gone to great lengths to prove their product is better.
You are quick with the insults...

Ok...Lets talk about an x-ray machine...They are legally tested BEFORE you or I set under one, and certified as to the operation. They are most certainly tested by the makers too, but are also held to a legal standard for public safety...Not the same thing...
Lets talk about an electron Microscope... I do not think that those who want a picture taken by one needs to go out and buy one. The cost of the machine is pro rated into the pictures it takes. Not the the 1st pic costing a 1/2 million and all other pics are cost of supplies and labor.

There are avenues that can be utilized to "legitimize" the results of a test. Showing a pic taken under unknown conditions by the vested interest is not a "legitimate" avenue TO ME
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #67
TDmaster
2009 JK Wrangler 

What About Mopar Perfomance CAI?

OK, so what about the OEM CAI and Filter from the MOPAR performance catalog (http://www.mopar.com/performance/tra...ake/index.html). The performace catlog (http://www.moparsupercenter.com/mopa...gp5153859.html) list the P/N as: 77060081 Cold Air Intake System, Dry Filter, 2007-09 Wrangler
NOTE: I have an '09 JK.
Runs $316 at http://www.wholesalemopar.com/parts_...FWVM5QodAx5_FQ
So is this a waste of money? If so, why does Mopar Performance advertise it as a HP add bolt-on?

Last edited by TDmaster; 05-07-2009 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: To subscribe to thread
TDmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #68
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmaster View Post
OK, so what about the OEM CAI and Filter from the MOPAR performance catalog (http://www.mopar.com/performance/tra...ake/index.html). The performace catlog (http://www.moparsupercenter.com/mopa...gp5153859.html) list the P/N as: 77060081 Cold Air Intake System, Dry Filter, 2007-09 Wrangler
NOTE: I have an '09 JK.
Runs $316 at http://www.wholesalemopar.com/parts_...FWVM5QodAx5_FQ
So is this a waste of money? If so, why does Mopar Performance advertise it as a HP add bolt-on?
You obviously need to read the first page again because something didn't sink in.
Unread 05-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #69
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You obviously need to read the first page again because something didn't sink in.
X2. Mopar is in the business of making $$$ and isn't above getting into the hype business.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #70
TDmaster
2009 JK Wrangler 

So, were you born a cynic, or has only just recently come naturally to you? Yes I read the page, let me be more concise...cai is dyno tested to add horsepower and torque not to mention improved mpg. This is fact not fiction! It is one of the few cost effective simple bolt-ons the average joe can perform. My point is, mopar performance would not sell you something that does not meet it's claims! Where else, praytell, can you spend a two or three c-notes and in about an hour have added 6 to 15 HP and 25 ftlb of torque? That's money well spent in my book.
TDmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #71
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

One thing to keep in mind here on JF, you need no one's permission to believe whatever you want.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #72
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So, were you born a cynic, or has only just recently come naturally to you? Yes I read the page, let me be more concise...cai is dyno tested to add horsepower and torque not to mention improved mpg. This is fact not fiction! It is one of the few cost effective simple bolt-ons the average joe can perform.
You will see no noticable HP/TQ or mileage increase, unless you drive at 4500-5000rpms. Sorry.

Quote:
My point is, mopar performance would not sell you something that does not meet it's claims!
OHHHH YES THEY WILL.

Quote:
Where else, praytell, can you spend a two or three c-notes and in about an hour have added 6 to 15 HP and 25 ftlb of torque? That's money well spent in my book.
You're way off on your figures. 3% improvement in HP, according to magazines...so like 4-6hp and 4-6 ft-lbs, and at 4500-5000rpm. When's the last time your Jeep saw 4500rpms? And when's the last time you got a mileage improvement by driving at 4500rpms? Btw, my mileage went DOWN with an AEM/MOPAR CAI.

Oh, if you'd read the first page then you'd know you can travel about 200,000 miles on paper air filters for the cost of that $300 CAI kit.
Unread 07-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #73
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
X2. In a TJ, a CAI is pretty useless. It doesn't get enough cold air to matter and on a TJ, which isn't a racer, even if it worked it'd be like adding furry dice to the mirror... just not something many people driving Jeeps would care about... those under 20 excepted.
Am I the only one here who sees an advantage in the form of lesser likelihood of hydrolock when pulling from the cowl? I mean, I realize it's not a snorkel, but I look at a setup like BozoWise has, and I'm thinking it can't hurt anything, regardless of whether it significantly helps performance, but more importantly the air isn't being sucked from right behind the headlight, which is the first thing to go into the water and the deepest most of the time. I'd rather be pulling air from the cowl so that there's no doubt in my mind as to whether water's getting in there, and if there's a slight performance increase, that's a great bonus to add the nicer engine noises. Plus, why not do that if you're looking for more space for OBA or are doing a tube fender or highline setup that requires abandoning the stock airbox anyway?

I see a lot of hating on the CAI's around here, and I can understand the strong feelings of snake oil and such, but might there be other advantages to a cowl-sourced solution?
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #74
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Am I the only one here who sees an advantage in the form of lesser likelihood of hydrolock when pulling from the cowl?

I see a lot of hating on the CAI's around here, and I can understand the strong feelings of snake oil and such, but might there be other advantages to a cowl-sourced solution?
The cowl is the only way. I have a cowl induction with dual filters and it really makes a difference you can see. Should be this way from the factory.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #75
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Am I the only one here who sees an advantage in the form of lesser likelihood of hydrolock when pulling from the cowl?
1st post:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.