FAQ - Cold Air Intake - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > FAQ - Cold Air Intake

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 03-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #46
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers89Fan90 View Post
Ok guys, I am looking to get a jeep soon. My current car is a 2003 hyundai tiburon GT with some mods done to it, but I have no room in the thing. It is one of the smallest 2 door coupes you could ever fit in. That and the fact that the trunk is filled up with 2 12" inch sony xplod subs.

But enough with the rambling, cold air intakes are very useful. For one, they do add a slight horsepower gain, obviously you will notice the gain more on a sports car than a jeep. And you don't have to worry about hydrolock unless your driving through a river. My car is barely off the ground(1-2 feet) and I drive with my cai in ANY type of condition. Now the cai pulls out cold air to the engine from the bottom. The air gets sucked in pretty close to where your left front tire would be. This makes it away from the engine compartment so it doesn't suck in hot air instead.

And yes, I think the whistling sound it makes and the swooosshh! sound it makes when sucking in sounds great. It's like a cargasm! lol.

I know this is a jeep forum, but here is a little vid of what my cold air intake sounds on my car:
You can't compare a ricer Tiburon with a Jeep 4.0L. Completely different purpose, different technology, different environments, different engine, different EVERYTHING. Go back to the first post and read the entire thread. You don't have a Jeep and you don't understand how they work, so don't add misleading information for the people who actually want to use this forum for a useful purpose.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #47
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers89Fan90 View Post
Now the cai pulls out cold air to the engine from the bottom. The air gets sucked in pretty close to where your left front tire would be. This makes it away from the engine compartment so it doesn't suck in hot air instead.
most CAI's don't relocate the filter, they still sit more or less in the same place, and there's a metal fender well there, so almost no "cold" air is coming in from there.
secondly, the air tube of a 4.0L jeep nor the filter, nor that little horn thing on the stock air box is restricting air flow in normal driving. check the graphs to see what RPM's the mfg's show gains at...it's always above 3000RPM. i don't even accelerate above 3000 unless i'm on the interstate.

what you should take away from this is... several ppl have used scientific measuring devices in real world scenarios to prove that a CAI is almost the biggest waste of money for the 4.0L.
__________________
You can't argue with ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #48
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
You can't compare a ricer Tiburon with a Jeep 4.0L. Completely different purpose, different technology, different environments, different engine, different EVERYTHING. Go back to the first post and read the entire thread. You don't have a Jeep and you don't understand how they work, so don't add misleading information for the people who actually want to use this forum for a useful purpose.
X2. In a TJ, a CAI is pretty useless. It doesn't get enough cold air to matter and on a TJ, which isn't a racer, even if it worked it'd be like adding furry dice to the mirror... just not something many people driving Jeeps would care about... those under 20 excepted.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #49
jr1966
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tamuning, Guam
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
i agree 100%. heres a good write up on hood vents: http://www.oman4x4.com/hoodventinstall.htm
Same principle as the ultra-expensive AEV heat-reduction hood.
__________________
2005 4.0 LJ Auto, BFG AT 32x11.5x15, Spidertrax, Kenwood Excelon X591, Alpine EX-10 iPod/BT, Sony XM-4S amp, Polks, 5.25" Dash Speakers, MTX sub, Hella H4 Conversion/Fatboy II, Euro Clear Lenses, KC Rear Fog, Light Guards, Bug Shield, Olympic Grille Guard, Delta 150 Amber Fogs, KC Long-Range Daylighters on A-Pillars, Rubicon Rockers, Power Step, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, Warrior Rear Diamond Plate Armor, Skyjacker 2BB/Steering Stabilizer/Hydros, Rear ACOS, Volant CAI/Snorkel, Bestop Tire Carrier, PW/PDL, 4" Xenons, ARB D30 & Rockcrusher D44 Diff Cover, CA Skids, Radiator Guard, Trailjammer, LED Tails, 4.88s.
jr1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #50
rubidriver
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,429
One thing I like about a high flow filter, is the increased throtle response, instead of the delay. My brother has a CAI on his 2000 TJ, and I have the stock air box on my 05 Rubi, and the throttle response sucks on mine. I dont race nor do I hot rod but the delay when you give it gas is so annoying and doesnt feel like a normal vehicle like my brothers does when you accelerate.
__________________
2005 Black Rubicon - OME 933/942 - 4" Bilstein 5100 (canister up) - JKS Adj Track Bars Front/Rear - JKS Quicker Discos - 285/75/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #51
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
One thing I like about a high flow filter, is the increased throtle response, instead of the delay.
Since the OE air filter and intake isn't restricting the air flow in any way, it really does not, that's simply a good example of the placebo effect in action.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #52
rubidriver
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Since the OE air filter and intake isn't restricting the air flow in any way, it really does not, that's simply a good example of the placebo effect in action.
I can prove that there is less delay. I took off my box one day and got the cone off my brothers and clamped it on my stock tube. There was no delay when I accelerated or took off from a stop. This is not placebo, because its night and day, Im not bragging on increased horsepower and torque and how much faster it is, Im simply saying I know there is no longer a delay. Dynos measure hp and torque, its not something I can do, but when I feel there is no delay any more. Im not that big of a fan of the costly CAI, but I gotta give credit where credit is due. Have you ever used a CAI on your Jeep Jerry? Even if you have you probably forgot how it felt. Stick someones cone filter on your stock air box one day and I garuntee you you will feel better throttle response.
__________________
2005 Black Rubicon - OME 933/942 - 4" Bilstein 5100 (canister up) - JKS Adj Track Bars Front/Rear - JKS Quicker Discos - 285/75/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.

Last edited by rubidriver; 03-07-2009 at 09:57 AM..
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #53
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
I can prove that there is less delay. I took off my box one day and got the cone off my brothers and clamped it on my stock tube. There was no delay when I accelerated or took off from a stop. This is not placebo, because its night and day, Im not bragging on increased horsepower and torque and how much faster it is, Im simply saying I know there is no longer a delay. Dynos measure hp and torque, its not something I can do, but when I feel there is no delay any more. Im not that big of a fan of the costly CAI, but I gotta give credit where credit is due. Have you ever used a CAI on your Jeep Jerry? Even if you have you probably forgot how it felt. Stick someones cone filter on your stock air box one day and I garuntee you you will feel better throttle response.
stick your hand down your throttle body and see how black it turns. i'd like to keep my engine clean. the need for a snappy throttle in a jeep is kind of like putting a parachute on a postal truck...

jerry, do you know anything about true-flow filters? paper is not an option for me as i don't have room for the stock box anymore. I know traditional cotton/gauze filters suck, but not sure about the sponge style of the true-flow. (read that as, did i waste my money buying a true-flow filter, would a pre-filter be a good idea?)
__________________
You can't argue with ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #54
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,047
Dippert, the TrueFlow air filter seems to be a pretty good one. I dumped my K&N with two prefilters over the top of it in favor of the TrueFlow and it seems to be filtering pretty well. I put both of my prefilters over the top of the TrueFlow rather than trash them, I believe my engine is finally getting some clean air. I didn't notice (nor did I expect) any throttle response difference.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #55
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Dippert, the TrueFlow air filter seems to be a pretty good one. I dumped my K&N with two prefilters over the top of it in favor of the TrueFlow and it seems to be filtering pretty well. I put both of my prefilters over the top of the TrueFlow rather than trash them, I believe my engine is finally getting some clean air. I didn't notice (nor did I expect) any throttle response difference.
good to hear . i didn't notice a difference in the engine either.
__________________
You can't argue with ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #56
rubidriver
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert View Post
stick your hand down your throttle body and see how black it turns. i'd like to keep my engine clean. the need for a snappy throttle in a jeep is kind of like putting a parachute on a postal truck...

jerry, do you know anything about true-flow filters? paper is not an option for me as i don't have room for the stock box anymore. I know traditional cotton/gauze filters suck, but not sure about the sponge style of the true-flow. (read that as, did i waste my money buying a true-flow filter, would a pre-filter be a good idea?)
The reason it will turn black is because of carbon, not from inadequite filtration.

Im not saying I want a snappy throttle, Im saying I want a normal throttle. Im tired of giving it gas in the rocks or in the mud, and having a delay, it might not be something you want but its something I want.
__________________
2005 Black Rubicon - OME 933/942 - 4" Bilstein 5100 (canister up) - JKS Adj Track Bars Front/Rear - JKS Quicker Discos - 285/75/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #57
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,235
more on K&N Filters here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/how-good-k-n-filters-729910/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #58
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,235
added Mustang Air box CAI to 1st post:
link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/mustang-gt-air-cannister-737236/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #59
jeepster93
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Englewood, CO
Posts: 3,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Around View Post

Not trying to "stir it" with this post, just presenting more information for everyone to look at. Hopefully this will help someone.
I will NEVER use a test by the maker of the item being tested for the true information...never. Useless, shouldn't even bother...


Also on a side note:
I use a True Flow filter with a K&N FIPK cai, just so it is known what/where with me.

True flow says NOT to use a pre filter. Don't know why, but I called them and was told "no pre filter".
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #60
Apex
Recon death squad
 
Apex's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Berea, OH
Posts: 5,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
The reason it will turn black is because of carbon, not from inadequite filtration.

Im not saying I want a snappy throttle, Im saying I want a normal throttle. Im tired of giving it gas in the rocks or in the mud, and having a delay, it might not be something you want but its something I want.
Then maybe you just need to replace your filter?
__________________
Silver 02 TJ Apex Edition. SOLD

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.